House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CunningPlan

EPC Rating issues ahead

As most of us know, to add to all their other woes, a LL will need to get his property rated E or better by 1st April 2018.

This could be a major headache with some properties - I doubt the cost will be worth it even if the LL does have the money. Thus may be particularly true of houses that have been owned for a long time, possibly with the same tenant for years. It may also discourage a lot of people from renting out their inherited house as it may well not meet the standard.

Also, who would take a 12 month lease on a house that was currently not up to scratch, knowing that they would either have to leave at the end of 12 months or put up with substantial upheaval whilst the work was done. Theoretically, these places should be un-lettable now. This will be a major headache for the LL starting from 1st October 2017.

I fancy a few examples of headaches in the making. I will start off with this one.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-65066678.html

Living in an old rented property and being keen on eventually purchasing some form of period property, this got me living in hope that something may change. 

Alas the maximum cumulative penalty seems to be £5000. Therefore if a landlord was faced with a bill greater than that for compliance, and to bring efficiency up to scratch, then one guess what might happen...

20 minutes ago, StAlex said:

Alas the maximum cumulative penalty seems to be £5000. Therefore if a landlord was faced with a bill greater than that for compliance, and to bring efficiency up to scratch, then one guess what might happen...

I agree. It all seems to lack teeth sadly. Local authorities lack the staff to prosecute an otherwise ok landlord so imagine it's another stick to beat the criminal types.

Interestingly, letting agents have to present you with an EPC when you rent and it must be in place before they market it.

If you don't get one, it's no S21 for you until you're issued with one.

Dont know how many S21s end up in court, but it's embarrassing for the landlord to admit he's non complaint.

I am always on the lookout for something to beat my vulnerable in name and in deed letting agent with though!

https://www.epcregister.com/reportSearchAddressByPostcode.html

Mine is E already!  Unfortunately, one of the ways to improve the rating is cavity wall insulation.  I am mega skeptical about it in old house.  

Particularly, some companies offering it just want the money and don't care about the end product:

- they wanted to do my rented house even though there is no access to one of the walls - if one wall is not insulated, the whole exercise is pointless as the heat will escape through uninsulated wall

- my neighbours' insulation (little plastic balls) is all over my garden, as they didn't bother protecting airbricks in any way  

This is an interesting one for me. We move din here when it was compulsory to have an EPC but the landlord never gave us one. I think after 3 months you can't report it to the council so no action can be taken. We moved in, however, before an EPC was necessary before you can serve a Section 21 notice for eviction. BUT, our rent is coming up for the annual tenant gouge fest in August. I'm thinking of raising the EPC issue. Obviously by August they won't have to have the modifications in place (that is, they have to meet an EPC rating of E by April 2018) but I can point out that they will need an EPC and that it will probably not meet the required E rating. This is a timber construction house, the walls are single skin, about 200mm thick at best with basically a render coat, a bit of foam and plasterboard inside. There was about 50mm of loft insulation when we moved in - I have added another 100mm but I'll happily take it with me. So basically, they will have 8 months to find a tenant who will stay permanently, any new tenancy after April 2018 will need to meet the standard and this place will definitely not meet it. Cavity wall infill is not an option as there isn't really a cavity wall. So I am thinking of running this past them, and saying that maybe it is in their best economical interest to leave us in-situ (Been here four years, could happily do another 4 but not if they keep raising rent by 50 quid each year. Alternative is, I ask them for a new tenancy agreement with the new rent increase and then they will fail on the section 21 front on loads of counts - won't have issued information pack, wont have given EPC etc. These people didn't protect our deposit and then returned it after 2 years once they realized the big mistake - we were happy - no section 21!

3 hours ago, CunningPlan said:

And with economy seven heating - that is going to cost a small fortune to keep warm.

Absolutely.  Economy 7 works in well insulated flats.  I assume that with an F certificate, radiators would lose all their stored overnight heat by the evening, so the heating will be carried out at full price units.