House Price Crash Forum

Blood Pressure : 133 / 73

Sledgehead

HOLA441

Just took my BP: 133/73

Should I be worried?

Oh, perhaps I should add, this was in the middle of a workout. Pulse was 104.

Sorry all you f***ers out there hoping my years of ranting were gonna give me an infarction.

Resting is 103/60.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
3 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

No.  Don't worry till the systolic goes >160.  When i was having a stroke it was 210/110.  I survived.

Have you just done some cardio exercise?

Have you just read my post? I think not! :D

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
2 hours ago, council dweller said:

The parameters for high BP are `your age plus 100` and not 120 over 80 ? (so mine should be 57 + 100 = 157)

That's a bit of old guff you've been sold there cd.

High blood pressure is a problem period. It doesn't get less important with age ffs. In fact, because you are likely to have complications and generally diseased arteries, higher blood pressure becomes even more of a problem th eolder you get.

The only reason you might be told it's okay to have higher bp when older is cos you are expected to, so if you die of it, nobody at your GPs will be deemed culpable.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Thanks sledgehead......

Well, I had a stroke 4 years ago and was told `that there was nothing they could do for me` by the consultant ! A main artery had burst in one side of my brain.....

It`s really quite funny watching GP`s with a `I`m just protecting my ****` attitude versus stroke `victims ` who are hooked on benefits .....

Btw, I now weigh 69kg (down from 84 kg ...6ft) and do 50 push ups and 100 sit up`s per day.

HOLA4411

I'm pretty sure there was much chat on this subject on here a while back. 

Few studies showed that high blood pressure wasn't actually linked directly to early death ? Or perhaps I'm mixed up.

HOLA4412
37 minutes ago, council dweller said:

Thanks sledgehead......

Well, I had a stroke 4 years ago and was told `that there was nothing they could do for me` by the consultant ! A main artery had burst in one side of my brain.....

It`s really quite funny watching GP`s with a `I`m just protecting my ****` attitude versus stroke `victims ` who are hooked on benefits .....

Btw, I now weigh 69kg (down from 84 kg ...6ft) and do 50 push ups and 100 sit up`s per day.

Very sorry to hear of your tribulations cd.

You don't need me to tell you that hypertension is the most important thing we can change to reduce our risk of heart attack and stroke, together the 1st and 3rd biggest killers. But it's something that remains undiscovered for something like half of all sufferers, who themselves constitute about one third of people over 16. That's why it has gained the rep of the silent killer.

Hugely admire your determination to put yourself on a healthier footing.

But I bet you wish there had been some kind of national screening campaign to raise awareness and get everyone tested. I'm pretty sure the big supermarkets would be only too happy to help out. Makes you wonder what politicians do all day when they can't come up with a plan to reduce the maybe £12bn bill it costs the NHS every year, while at the same time protecting people's quality of life.

HOLA4413
3 minutes ago, ccc said:

I'm pretty sure there was much chat on this subject on here a while back. 

Few studies showed that high blood pressure wasn't actually linked directly to early death ? Or perhaps I'm mixed up.

you are kidding right?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
3 hours ago, sexton said:

Your blood pressure should be taken in the morning in bed  before you sit up.

to make sure it's artificially low and therefore not in need of treatment by your overstretched GP?

Bit like starving blood sugar tests.

What a load of guff people are sold.

If you were building a water main, what pressure would you design it to withstand? Minimum daily, mean daily, or max daily? You think you get an arterial bleed when your blood pressure is lowest?

HOLA4416
4 minutes ago, ccc said:

Nope. Certain there was a long really interesting chat on this subject a few years back. 

Well, I guess it comes down to what you want to believe. You have anecdotes, like those from our two forum members above, signalling the importance of hypertension in stroke, the 3rd largest cause of premature death. Or there is the sheer logic of the mechanism of infarction. Or there is the overwhelming weight of studies relating hypertension to the major causes of premature death - heart attack and stroke.

Or there are some other studies.

HOLA4417

Btw sledgehead...

At the end of March 2012 the weather did turn exceptionally cold so that working hard in cold temperatures and going into the hot inside at 10 at night was sure to be a little dangerous.

So I pushed myself over the edge....it`s what men do.

HOLA4418
34 minutes ago, council dweller said:

Btw sledgehead...

At the end of March 2012 the weather did turn exceptionally cold so that working hard in cold temperatures and going into the hot inside at 10 at night was sure to be a little dangerous.

So I pushed myself over the edge....it`s what men do.

That's an interesting point. All things being equal, I think perhaps the old machismo thing does place us at a greater threat than women.

You are right to point out the danger of cold environments (hot is fine).

People don't realise that the urge to pee one gets when one gets cold is the release valve on our vascular system. The cold causes blood to be brought to the body core (defense mechanism against hypothermia). That doesn't just make your hands turn a ghoulish shade of grey. It also pushes up blood pressure in all the vital organs, notably the brain. Your kidneys respond by removing more water from your vascular system, lowering the pressure and filling your bladder, making you want to pee (provided they themselves have not already been damaged by hypertension).

But that mechanism happens AFTER blood pressure has risen.

If you already have high blood pressure, the spike produced from cold might be all you need to get a brain hemorrhage and consequent stroke. Exerting yourself at the same time will probably only make it more likely.  

My Gran suffered a stroke one freezing january morning whilst collecting her morning paper. She had put on too much weight (comfort eating), and the newsagents was some way from her home up a steep incline. She lost her independence and a few short years later, her life.

The message to me is crystal clear.

Besides doing your best to keep your BP down, the lessons are clear and need emphasizing for we blokes:

- wrapping up warm before going outside is the intelligent thing to do and NOT a sign of being a woos;

- exerting yourself in the cold is not a good idea until you are warm from tip to toe.

- for somebody with hypertension, cold-related desires to pee are a warning that the conditions you are subjecting yourself to have put you in the danger zone - take it easy!

HOLA4419

And yet exercise and immersing yourself in cold water on a regular basis are widely believed to be beneficial to the body in general. Yet they both raise blood pressure in the short term.

Pushing yourself in the cold may raise blood pressure in the short term - but it reduces the risk of heat stroke or dehydration compared to doing it in the heat. Yin and yang.

HOLA4420
15 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

to make sure it's artificially low and therefore not in need of treatment by your overstretched GP?

Bit like starving blood sugar tests.

What a load of guff people are sold.

If you were building a water main, what pressure would you design it to withstand? Minimum daily, mean daily, or max daily? You think you get an arterial bleed when your blood pressure is lowest?

It is the only way to get a true reading. By the time you have had your morning coffee, battled the traffic, searched for a parking space at the surgery etc. it will be greatly elevated. Even talking while it is measure will elevate it.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
1 hour ago, ccc said:

And yet exercise and immersing yourself in cold water on a regular basis are widely believed to be beneficial to the body in general. Yet they both raise blood pressure in the short term.

Pushing yourself in the cold may raise blood pressure in the short term - but it reduces the risk of heat stroke or dehydration compared to doing it in the heat. Yin and yang.

My words were directed at those who already suffer from hypertension.

And I have yet to be convinced of any benefits of CWI that can't be achieved either through eating less or being a bit more active. Nobody can benefit from tripling their metabolic rate for 15mins if they are dead within the first 60 seconds.

Again I offer anecdotal evidence from above and my own grandmother, a well understood mechanism and peer reviewed research that show the dangers of cold for those with hypertension. Even the Daily Mail have gotten the message: Cold weather can raise the risk of stroke by 30%

Is it worth ignoring that for a lazy way to burn a few more calories that might have been easily avoided in the first place?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived