House Price Crash Forum
gone west

Etf's Have Become The "peoples' Central Bank"

http://www.thebulliondesk.com/content/repo...goldnoteETF.pdf

Investment in Gold Bullion Securities is beginning to accumulate a significant quantity of gold, and is now

beginning to compete with Central Banks (Official Sector) and Comex.

Rank Central Bank holdings Tonnes Gold

1 United States 8133.5

2 Germany 3427.8

3 IMF 3217.3

4 France 2856.8

5 Italy 2451.8

6 Switzerland 1290.1

7 Japan 765.2

8 Netherlands 716.9

9 ECB 719.9

10 China, Mainland 600.0

11 Spain 472.5

12 Taiwan 423.3

13 Portugal 407.5

14 ETF (current) 396.5

15 Russia 386.7

16 India 357.7

17 Venezuela 357.4

ETF (27 Dec 2005) 337.1

18 United Kingdom 311.2

19 Austria 302.5

ETF (30 Nov 2005) 296.7

20 Lebanon 286.8

21 Belgium 227.7

ETF (30 Mar 2005) 223.0

22 Philippines 170.6

23 BIS 189.3

24 Algeria 173.6

ETF (4 Jan 2005) 170.1

25 Sweden 154.5

26 Libya 143.8

27 Saudi Arabia 143.0

28 Singapore 127.4

29 South Africa 124.0

30 Turkey 116.1

ETF (1 Oct-04) 49.5

Can anybody explain why countries like France, Germany and Italy have so much greater gold holdings than we do? I am aware that GB sold UK gold at rock-bottom prices, but I don't somehow think he sold so much as to explain why Italy has eight times as much gold as we do. What was the greatest tonnage of gold held by the UK since the end of WW2? Has our holding always been low, due to the way the Americans fleeced us rotten had to be paid for the armaments in the war?

Does this not mean UK is in a vulnerable situation? No gold to speak of, weak public finances, shakey consumer debt levels, trade balance going off the scale, fuel resources plummeting.... I mean, this is pretty serious stuff, surely?

Edited by malco

Can anybody explain why countries like France, Germany and Italy have so much greater gold holdings than we do? I am aware that GB sold UK gold at rock-bottom prices, but I don't somehow think he sold so much as to explain why Italy has eight times as much gold as we do. What was the greatest tonnage of gold held by the UK since the end of WW2? Has our holding always been low, due to the way the Americans fleeced us rotten had to be paid for the armaments in the war?

Does this not mean UK is in a vulnerable situation? No gold to speak of, weak public finances, shakey consumer debt levels, trade balance going off the scale, fuel resources plummeting.... I mean, this is pretty serious stuff, surely?

Italy and France have more gold because the UK has an imbicile in charge of the Treasury and they do not. Don't worry, Gordon is waiting for the price to drop so that he can sell the rest off.

Edited by gone west

If the USA and co start up against Iran we could be looking at very difficult times.Ive heard from my scources that this war will go ahead. I hope they are wrong but if that transpires those with sufficient investments in Gold will be better placed to weather the storm.

If the USA and co start up against Iran we could be looking at very difficult times.Ive heard from my scources that this war will go ahead. I hope they are wrong but if that transpires those with sufficient investments in Gold will be better placed to weather the storm.

Who are your "sources" .....

PS - So how much would a tonne of Gold be worth in todays money ?

I hope you will excuse me but I'd rather not name names on this website.

If you have any influence on your "associates" can us Brits launch a pre-emptive strike on the French with some yankee backing and steal their large gold reserves?

If you have any influence on your "associates" can us Brits launch a pre-emptive strike on the French with some yankee backing and steal their large gold reserves?

Ye, even ill throw on a camo suit to have the chance to bayonet a frenchie.

Anyone play 'Risk'??

UK is in a great position to take on most of the world if it wanted too and we have nuclear subs in case we lose.

Lets go get some gold!!

Guest Riser

The Central banks have been selling gold to keep its price down making it unatractive to investors. However, the selling has now slowed and the Genie is out of the bottle. I like the analogy of the ETFs being the peoples central bank fee from interference from the money men and politicians.

Here is an interesting article showing how the gold ETF has grown and highlighting the potential impact the proposed silver ETF will have on the price of silver.

Silver ETF Packs Punch

...If silver, through its ETF, can add over time in dollar demand what GLD & IAU did in just 15 months, we are talking about an additional 600+ million ounces being taken off the world market. With silver trading at around $9.60/oz, $6 billion in incremental investment demand would translate more precisely into about 625 million ounces of the grey metal. This would almost certainly wipe out the entire world’s identifiable supply of above ground silver (about 550 million ounces according GFMS). Is it any wonder why the SUA (Silver User’s Association) is trying to cry “uncle” to the SEC in the hopes of putting the kibosh on the silver ETF?........
Edited by Riser