House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

LETTING FEES BAN CONSULTATION - Link to survey in post. Please complete.

From this article; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/buytolet/article-4390020/Letting-agents-told-scrap-sky-high-tenant-fees.html

Rosalind Beck, a landlord based in South Wales, said: 'I don't anticipate raising rents to cover the ban on letting agents fees. I am already raising them to cover the effects of lower tax relief and so will be increasing them to the maximum anyway, regardless of what happens with letting agents fees. 

'As a landlord who directly manages my portfolio I have never charged any fees of any description. If I conduct a credit check for instance I cover that expense myself. 

'When I do employ letting agents on a tenant-find basis I have to pay them a commission - usually the equivalent of half a month's rent.'

Done.

I used slightly different words to indicate that Fat Fergus' head should be mounted on a pike outside the Tower of London as a warning to the next 10 generations that some 'help' comes at too high a price.

I responded that landlords should be required by law to be registered with proper checks to ensure that this is being done. This would allow safety stab bars to be regulated and rental taxation to be more easily collected.

8 minutes ago, MrMonkey said:

I responded that landlords should be required by law to be registered with proper checks to ensure that this is being done. This would allow safety stab bars to be regulated and rental taxation to be more easily collected.

I put that too. That there should be a compulsory National Landlords Register.

1 hour ago, MrMonkey said:

I meant standards, by the way.

5 hours ago, MrMonkey said:

I meant standards, by the way.

Oh spoiled it for me.

I was envisaging a whole subculture where people go to experience being stabbed in a safe environment. Bit like that Chuck Palahniuk novel with the car crashes. 

9 hours ago, Lambie said:

Done.

I used slightly different words to indicate that Fat Fergus' head should be mounted on a pike outside the Tower of London as a warning to the next 10 generations that some 'help' comes at too high a price.

Ahhh, yes. A criminally underappreciated Vir Cotto classic.

Imagine if this went ahead too including returning all existing deposits. That would be a lot of money finding its way back into the economy. 

Government could curb deposits as well as impose outright ban on tenant fees

APRIL 10, 2017 | MARC SHOFFMAN

http://www.propertyindustryeye.com/stop-moving-the-goalposts-industry-bodies-attack-government-housing-policy-as-lettings-fee-ban-consultation-is-published/

I've never quite understood the reasoning behind carrying out a credit and tenant reference and still taking a deposit. I mean if the tenant has a checkered past it does make sense. But there should be an option for either the tenant or landlord to take out insurance. In any business there is risk and that risk is mitigated by an appropriate insurance against that risk. Why should landlords be exempt of this.  I agree it frees deposit money into the wider economy!

3 hours ago, AvoidDebt said:

Imagine if this went ahead too including returning all existing deposits. That would be a lot of money finding its way back into the economy. 

Government could curb deposits as well as impose outright ban on tenant fees

APRIL 10, 2017 | MARC SHOFFMAN

http://www.propertyindustryeye.com/stop-moving-the-goalposts-industry-bodies-attack-government-housing-policy-as-lettings-fee-ban-consultation-is-published/

Following through the links leads to 

Registration for Letting Agents' Fees Ban Workshops

Is anyone here registered and planning to attend?  All are on working days unfortunately, so I am not too keen myself.

The Department for Communites and Local Government will be hosting a number of workshops to discuss the consultation and the fees ban. These events will be open to all interested parties as an opportunity to discuss the ban from their perspective. Tickets will be available on a first come first serve basis. Once an event has sold out, the webpage will advise that no further tickets are available. 

Polite request - due to limited numbers, please only send one person from your branch / company / department. If we see a high number of delegates from one company, we may take the decision to withdraw an invite in order to open up the opportunity for another.

Workshops will be held in various locations:

Birmingham

Bristol

London

Manchester