House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Barry Manilow reveals he is gay

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/apr/05/barry-manilow-reveals-he-is-gay

Barry Manilow has come out as gay, telling an interviewer that he felt revealing his sexuality in the past would have disappointed his fans.

The Brooklyn singer has always guarded his private life, but decided to tell People magazine that he had been in a relationship with his manager Garry Kief since they met in 1978.

“I knew that this was it,” he said of their meeting. “I was one of the lucky ones. I was pretty lonely before that.”

It’s news that will probably not shock the music world, or indeed many of his fans, as their relationship seemed to be an open secret. But the singer behind hits such as Mandy, Copacabana and Looks Like We Made It has never spoken publicly about his sexuality, and explained his reasons: “I thought I would be disappointing [my fans] if they knew I was gay. So I never did anything.”

Who'd have thought that!

Considering how liberal the arts are film and music it's amazing that this still happens and there are fake relationships to keep up the pretence that someone isn't gay.

1 hour ago, interestrateripoff said:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/apr/05/barry-manilow-reveals-he-is-gay

Who'd have thought that!

Considering how liberal the arts are film and music it's amazing that this still happens and there are fake relationships to keep up the pretence that someone isn't gay.

Perhaps in the future we'll have people coming out as straight, after all those years pretending to be gay for their career?

8 hours ago, happy_renting said:

I bet the news has been a shock for his husband.

:lol: I was thinking that, didn't he marry a bloke a few years back?...

:o Who could have guessed.  I dare say some fans world has been turned upside down though.

Potentially bad for record sales then and probably good for record sales now - or at least no harm.  And a bit of extra publicity never did any harm to a star a bit out of the current spotlight.

7 hours ago, billybong said:

:o Who could have guessed.  I dare say some fans world has been turned upside down though.

Potentially bad for record sales then and probably good for record sales now - or at least no harm.  And a bit of extra publicity never did any harm to a star a bit out of the current spotlight.

Being gay never hurt Johnny Mathis popularity with his female fans over the years.

2 hours ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

Being gay never hurt Johnny Mathis popularity with his female fans over the years.

I didn't say there weren't exceptions who even then worked it to their advantage such as Liberace for example.  I didn't think it was general knowledge about Johnny Mathis at least not in his heyday, I'm not sure it is general knowledge even now.  I guess it depended to some extent on the section of the market being appealed to.  PJ Proby was even banned and stigmatised just because he split a seam in his trousers on a UK stage - that's a measure how repressed it was at one time.

Oo er missus and shut that door.

32 minutes ago, billybong said:

I didn't say there weren't exceptions who even then worked it to their advantage such as Liberace for example.  I didn't think it was general knowledge about Johnny Mathis at least not in his heyday, I'm not sure it is general knowledge even now.  I guess it depended to some extent on the section of the market being appealed to.  PJ Proby was even banned and stigmatised just because he split a seam in his trousers on a UK stage - that's a measure how repressed it was at one time.

Mathis came out in 1982.

A mate of mine's Mum was huge fan  and used to travel all over the UK to see Mathis when he was on tour.

As far as I can discern the announcement made absolutely no difference to her.

Mathis was never camp (in fact he was an Olympic class athletics star at college in San Fransisco) though I suppose in retrospect one might have guessed his sexuality,

33 minutes ago, billybong said:

Liberace sued a British newspaper for libel for insinuating he was gay. And won!

22 minutes ago, RentingForever said:

Liberace sued a British newspaper for libel for insinuating he was gay. And won!

These days he might not have bothered.

7 hours ago, RentingForever said:

has the paper got it's money back yet?

2 hours ago, oracle said:

has the paper got it's money back yet?

It was the Dail Mirror. The quote in question was that Liberace was "…the summit of sex—the pinnacle of masculine, feminine, and neuter. Everything that he, she, and it can ever want… a deadly, winking, sniggering, snuggling, chromium-plated, scent-impregnated, luminous, quivering, giggling, fruit-flavoured, mincing, ice-covered heap of mother love". He won the case because of the use of the word "fruit", an American insult for gay. Got the equivalent of £150k in today's money, and said of the case "I cried all the way to the bank".

His sexuality wasn't admitted until after he died so no, they didn't get the money back.