House Price Crash Forum
Mancghirl

Peak Guardian - a Middle Class 'writer' laments...

There's a cracking article on the Guardian website where a bloke from my generation (who is clearly in his late 30s) cries about how he had to be gifted a deposit by his pensioner mum.

He seems unable to make the link that she was able to save by working in an actual job, whereas he was 'freelancing' and quit the reasonably paid job he had as he seemed to see it as beneath him. Implication that it is OK for his wife to work though.

He also makes some spurious claims about HPI, yet lives in the North East, where he was able to buy a house in Newcastle for £150k. I work in the North East and there are a reasonable amount of well-paid jobs available. There's a massive shortage of teachers, for example.

A whiny man-baby writes

I'm rarely on the side of the Boomer generation, but this guy isn't helping the Gen X/Gen Y cause by being wet and useless. 

7 minutes ago, Mancghirl said:

There's a cracking article on the Guardian website where a bloke from my generation (who is clearly in his late 30s) cries about how he had to be gifted a deposit by his pensioner mum.

He seems unable to make the link that she was able to save by working in an actual job, whereas he was 'freelancing' and quit the reasonably paid job he had as he seemed to see it as beneath him. Implication that it is OK for his wife to work though.

He also makes some spurious claims about HPI, yet lives in the North East, where he was able to buy a house in Newcastle for £150k. I work in the North East and there are a reasonable amount of well-paid jobs available. There's a massive shortage of teachers, for example.

A whiny man-baby writes

I'm rarely on the side of the Boomer generation, but this guy isn't helping the Gen X/Gen Y cause by being wet and useless. 

My reading of it (skim read as I felt my blood pressure getting dangerously high). Is that he need to grow the feck up.  

1 minute ago, One-percent said:

My reading of it (skim read as I felt my blood pressure getting dangerously high). Is that he need to grow the feck up.  

'Tis a shame that comments are closed, or I would be explaining this at length.

Reasonable piece (apart from not acknowledging Brexit/Trump are part of the reaction to these issues, not the problems themselves).

Just what did you object to? 

From the OP's guardian link.

Blanchflower has a suggestion. “They should say: ‘We’re going to take the money, lower taxes to ourselves, do things that help us.’ 

The sort of thinking you would expect from someone who worked for the BoE - line your own pockets and trouser the money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Blanchflower

Current work

David Blanchflower is the Bruce V Rauner professor of economics at Dartmouth College, New Hampshire, part-time professor at the University of Stirling, a research associate at the National Bureau of Economic Research, and a contributing editor for Bloomberg TV.  On September 27, 2015, it was announced that he had been appointed to the British Labour Party's Economic Advisory Committee, convened by Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell and reporting to Labour Party Leader Jeremy Corbyn, for whom he is undertaking an independent review of the Bank of England, although he has stated that he is not a Corbyn supporter and has never spoken to him.  Blanchflower quit the panel and said he would also wind up his review of the role of the Bank of England on 28 June 2016 following the mass resignations of the Shadow Cabinet, joining them in calling for Corbyn to step down

It's no surprise that he cut his review of the BoE short.

Edited by billybong

2 hours ago, 24 year mortgage 8itch said:

Reasonable piece (apart from not acknowledging Brexit/Trump are part of the reaction to these issues, not the problems themselves).

Just what did you object to? 

To be clear, this chap isn't of the seriously disadvantaged Millennial generation, he is 35 to 38 years old, going by his other articles. He didn't get landed with huge tuition fees, he went to University when it was fairly cheap (although, admittedly not free) to do so. 

He's also been gifted a sizeable deposit by his mother, something which lots of young people from less affluent backgrounds won't be getting. He's been able to buy a house for his family as a result of this.

However, he seems to be unwilling to get a proper job, one which actually pays the bills, despite being well-educated. He's then adopting the arguments of the generation below him to moan about how hard done by he is. 

11 minutes ago, Mancghirl said:

To be clear, this chap isn't of the seriously disadvantaged Millennial generation, he is 35 to 38 years old, going by his other articles. He didn't get landed with huge tuition fees, he went to University when it was fairly cheap (although, admittedly not free) to do so. 

He's also been gifted a sizeable deposit by his mother, something which lots of young people from less affluent backgrounds won't be getting. He's been able to buy a house for his family as a result of this.

However, he seems to be unwilling to get a proper job, one which actually pays the bills, despite being well-educated. He's then adopting the arguments of the generation below him to moan about how hard done by he is. 

This.

he just comes across as a lazy, self-centred and entitled sh1t

12 minutes ago, Mancghirl said:

And all he can manage was 6k year.

Hex nit middle class, hes a scratter.

Just another tax credit case.His wife had another child so more child benefit he says.Meaning more tax credits.He is simply bone idle.Lidl warehouse pays £9.70 an hour.Go work there and write a book in your spare time.He wants the free money though,but doesnt want to admit other men and women are paying tax to bring up his children.Brown expanded welfare so high up the income scale people being handed free houses from parents still get it.

1 hour ago, Mancghirl said:

Maybe you should read it again, he states he's 36. Nowhere does he claim to be middle-class, despite using the term twice and in general the gist of the thing is not about him and he clearly acknowledges he has been lucky and is doing ok. 

So go ahead, have a witch hunt based on your preconceptions. 

6 minutes ago, durhamborn said:

His wife had another child so more child benefit he says.Meaning more tax credits

No that's not what it means.

It could mean that but unless you know something you're willing to share with us, you're jumping to a conclusion.

2 minutes ago, 24 year mortgage 8itch said:

No that's not what it means.

It could mean that but unless you know something you're willing to share with us, you're jumping to a conclusion.

No im not.He put up his wifes job,and his earnings.That makes him able to claim tax credits.The 2nd child will be worth £70 a week in extra benefits.If tax credits didnt exist his wife wouldnt be putting up with him sat at home.There is a tiny chance they arent claiming,but a 99% chance they are.He is just bone idle and doesnt want to work in a normal job.Thats for people who are paying for their benefits,not him.

And who’s going to do anything about it? Who’s going to stand up and say, this is wrong, young people need opportunity, and future generations need communities? I ask Tom. “It feels very bleak at the moment,” he says. “It’s not just Trump, Brexit and the rest of it, though that is shit – it’s the ineffectiveness of Labour.”

Obligatory "we need an opposition" quote from the newspaper that has spent my entire adult life crusading against any kind of structural or economic analysis of what's happening in the UK, Europe or the US.

I have a huge amount of sympathy for genuine Gen Y / Gen z types who work incredibly hard but find it very difficult to get anywhere as a result of being saddled with massive tuition fee debt and rampant HPI (like quite a few people i work with). They have genuinely been shafted and are very unlikely to have a standard of living anywhere near that of their boomer parents and grandparents

I have zero sympathy for this guy who's major problem appears to be the fact that he is bone fckn idle and makes poor life decisions. How can you moan about struggling when you *choose* to make a lifestyle decision and work 3 days a week in a notoriously low paid profession (freelance journalism)- knowing you have 2 kids to support?

And then to have the gall to to try and shame his mum for being in a position to gift him his house deposit and 2k to pay off his credit cards (after taking the money of course) 

13 hours ago, EssKay said:

I have a huge amount of sympathy for genuine Gen Y / Gen z types who work incredibly hard but find it very difficult to get anywhere as a result of being saddled with massive tuition fee debt and rampant HPI (like quite a few people i work with). They have genuinely been shafted and are very unlikely to have a standard of living anywhere near that of their boomer parents and grandparents

I have zero sympathy for this guy who's major problem appears to be the fact that he is bone fckn idle and makes poor life decisions. How can you moan about struggling when you *choose* to make a lifestyle decision and work 3 days a week in a notoriously low paid profession (freelance journalism)- knowing you have 2 kids to support?

And then to have the gall to to try and shame his mum for being in a position to gift him his house deposit and 2k to pay off his credit cards (after taking the money of course) 

This

Found that of particular interest in the article (and when the sympathy stopped for me): the guys banging on about being skint with no prospects and how terrible it is (and it is) and in the next breath tells us  "meanwhile, my wife had another baby". This is like the scumbag mentality i used to deal with working on sink estates, you know the old, "how can i survive on £170 a week" bolloxs, (me) - "stop breeding you thick fuk"..................................................