House Price Crash Forum

Gay Companion for Doctor Who

juvenal

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

In future they will announce there will be an religious minority on a TV show, and pause the show and get someone to point an arrow at the person, just in case you miss it.

Only 53,456 religions, genders, and ethnicities to tick off the list!

HOLA444

Not sure why this is news-worthy or being made into a 'thing'. Totally irrelevant.

They had an openly gay character even in the 1970s sitcom Porridge ffs. Almost 50 years ago. It's nothing new.

And nobody cares.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
9 minutes ago, Errol said:

Not sure why this is news-worthy or being made into a 'thing'. Totally irrelevant.

They had an openly gay character even in the 1970s sitcom Porridge ffs. Almost 50 years ago. It's nothing new.

And nobody cares.

To be fair that was a figure-of-fun gay character - nicknamed Lukewarm as I recall. Pretty insulting to non-fey types. The BBC couldn't help 'emselves back then. "Gloria" from It Ain't Half Hot Mum, "Mr Humphries" from Are You being Served, "Barry Stuart-Hargreaves" from Hi-de-hi, the list goes on and on. Almost all appeared in sitcoms, and each and every one was a silly, effeminate, queen. That's what the right-on, PC, BBC told us homosexuals were. The idea that somebody could be both "out" w/o being fey like for instance, Peter Tatchell came as quite a shock, and it was real life that informed us, not the so called liberal elites of the BBC.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
6 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

To be fair that was a figure-of-fun gay character - nicknamed Lukewarm as I recall. Pretty insulting to non-fey types. The BBC couldn't help 'emselves back then. "Gloria" from It Ain't Half Hot Mum, "Mr Humphries" from Are You being Served, "Barry Stuart-Hargreaves" from Hi-de-hi, the list goes on and on. Almost all appeared in sitcoms, and each and every one was a silly, effeminate, queen. That's what the right-on, PC, BBC told us homosexuals were. The idea that somebody could be both "out" w/o being fey like for instance, Peter Tatchell came as quite a shock, and it was real life that informed us, not the so called liberal elites of the BBC.

There were gay characters all over the TV in the 70s.  Just that most of them were in the closet.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
3 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

Probably a result of legalisation of homosexuality for the over-18s in 1967.

I'm always amazed by how many openly gay characters there were, given that it could have landed the character in jail a few years earlier.

Eg, the openly gay chef in Fawlty Towers.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
45 minutes ago, 200p said:

Why do they need to make it a "thing". Ah so they can tick the box and pass compliance.

I confess I have not watched Dr Who in years but from memory most of his assistants had unspecified orientation as it was never part of the plot. For all we know they could all have been gay but it was incidental to the story. It gets rather tedious when the BBC agenda forces the issue to fulfil a few check boxes.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
3 hours ago, 200p said:

Why do they need to make it a "thing". Ah so they can tick the box and pass compliance.

I would have thought richard o'brien would have made a fantastic doctor who. gay or not.

he (pulled it off..excuse the pun) in the rocky horror show.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
13 hours ago, dgul said:

I'm always amazed by how many openly gay characters there were, given that it could have landed the character in jail a few years earlier.

Eg, the openly gay chef in Fawlty Towers.

Also the radio shows in the fifties and sixties like 'Round the Horn', that had not only openly gay characters but also were occasionally scripted in Polari, the gay subculture slang of the time. 

Archived