House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sledgehead

Climate vs Religion : which is more important

Which is more important? Religion or Climate.  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more important?

• Religion
    • Climate

So the various climate change threads show that some people are convinced, some non-believers and some yet to be persuaded either way - kinda agnostic if you like.

It's pretty clear therefore, that no matter where you stand, you have to admit that people view climate change much as they view religion.

What is less clear is whether people think religion is more important than climate. Some would say climate is more important, cos it's something we can actually experience, whether or not change occurs. Others might say th eclimate is just another wordly concern and that your eternal soul is all that matters.

Where then do you stand. Give me your thoughts.

None.

Perhaps you could elaborate?

People have strong views on both subjects, and if we could establish the ratio of those who considered one subject more important than the other, we might then draw conclusions about depth of belief in the two topics, and therefore propensity for offense.

Maybe you haven't been paying attention lately?

39 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

Maybe you haven't been paying attention lately?

Sorry mate, I have no idea what you are referring to, I don't have a TV and I don't read the DM so yes I haven't been paying attention to whatever the PTB want me to get worked up about.

Religion and climate are neither mutually exclusive nor in any way related that's why this thread doesn't make any sense.

You might as well  ask:

Cars vs Beer: which is more important?

Carpet flooring vs Trainspotting: which is more important?

I find people "believe" one thing, but do something else in reality.

You have the people that protest against climate change, but then go on 4 holidays abroad each year, and drive around in their gas guzzler. Look at how many new 4x4 cars are on the road these days, that never go off road. Please tell me we are more of a nation of planet destroying Trump voters than green hippees. C'mon. Look even one of the big car manufacturers wants to give up sponsoring the FA - and wants to concentrate on another programme selling SUVs/4x4s - why not a smaller car?!

Then we have the people who are very religious. They go to church every week. But the other days they are viscous internet bullies (yes this is a real story).

The man in the sky must be laughing.

7 hours ago, hotairmail said:

If there were one thing these boards have taught me is that no one ever seems to change their mind on anything if the mind is made up.

The best example presently are the various emotional Brexit threads.

I'm sure people on both sides if they have a view, both hold them sincerely and honestly and believing they have the best interests of the country at heart.

All based on beliefs. Beliefs are the hardest thing to change in someone's mind (heart). They are so viscerally held, facts don't really matter. In fact 'honour' is also at stake.

That is why it is best just to have one's say and then just respect the other person's opinion probably cannot change.

I disagree from my own personal experience. I'm maybe more open to changing my opinions than most people though.

I've changed strongly held beliefs numerous times in my life. I see it as a sign of strength. 

People who believe in something 100% and nothing can never change that are weak imo. 

1 hour ago, ccc said:

I disagree from my own personal experience. I'm maybe more open to changing my opinions than most people though.

I've changed strongly held beliefs numerous times in my life. I see it as a sign of strength. 

People who believe in something 100% and nothing can never change that are weak imo. 

Depends how they come by that belief in the first place, for me if somebody asked me for an opinion on something I will either have one formed or I'd say I don't have one. It would have been formed (most of the time) on the available evidence and so it's unlikely to change unless major new contrary evidence exists, which in a vast majority of cases doesn't happen. 

I very rarely change my opinion, it does happen though and the few recent instances I can think of were as a result of the discussion in this sub-forum. 

12 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

Source: Prof. Tim Spector author of "Identically Different". He runs a large twins database. Looks into heritability of all sorts of stuff from God gene, Parenting gene, Bad gene, mortality gene, fat gene etc etc

I bet he keeps all to himself the identity of the attractive, female, identical twins with the rampant nymphomaniac gene.

9 hours ago, The Eagle said:

I haven't been paying attention to whatever the PTB want me to get worked up about.

(1cke Conspiracy Hat on)

Good point. This is true - on my Youtube page, Tommy Rob****** (alt-right) keeps coming up with recommended new videos. Now I've only watched ONE video that was posted on here on the day after of the Westminster Attacks. Now if goog/Yt and the PTB really want them shut up, they could throttle down the recommendations.

(1cke Conspiracy Hat off)

The climate debate should be resolved in a few short years when the facts establish themselves beyond peradventure. The religious debate may take somewhat longer to conclude. But of course the status of religious belief is continually evolving. As Arthur C Clarke observed, no-one ever demonstrated the non-existence of Zeus or Thor yet they have few followers now.

no one ever seems to change their mind on anything if the mind is made up.

It's a good thing that we all don't live forever then. You can't win hearts and minds.

5 hours ago, 200p said:

I find people "believe" one thing, but do something else in reality.

You have the people that protest against climate change, but then go on 4 holidays abroad each year, and drive around in their gas guzzler. Look at how many new 4x4 cars are on the road these days, that never go off road. Please tell me we are more of a nation of planet destroying Trump voters than green hippees. C'mon. Look even one of the big car manufacturers wants to give up sponsoring the FA - and wants to concentrate on another programme selling SUVs/4x4s - why not a smaller car?!

Then we have the people who are very religious. They go to church every week. But the other days they are viscous vicious internet bullies (yes this is a real story).

The man in the sky must be laughing.

Why would it be a man? If there's only one of it, a core tenet of the main Abrahamic death cults of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, then it doesn't reproduce at all, so it certainly doesn't need mammalian genitals!  What's it going to do with them (no sniggering at the back there)?

It's just another example of God being made in man's image, not the other way around....

5 minutes ago, newbonic said:

Why would it be a man? If there's only one of it, a core tenet of the main Abrahamic death cults of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, then it doesn't reproduce at all, so it certainly doesn't need mammalian genitals!  What's it going to do with them (no sniggering at the back there)?

It's just another example of God being made in man's image, not the other way around....

It's an example of atheists making an evident straw man and then autistically pretending that anyone else believes them.

Hi guys & ladies (won't say "gals" as it brings shiver to spine),

thanks for bearing with me on this rather vague topic, esp Eagle, to whom I was deliberately enigmatic, for fear his dismissive (rightly so?) post would prevent anyone completing the poll at all.

When I accused him of not paying attention, I wasn't referring to the MSM but rather, here.

I've been alarmed at the amount of censoring. I was particularly annoyed when a post I sarcastically referred to as referencing extreme content (the Daily Mail!) was summarily removed. Maybe I've been absent too long and it's become a way of life here.

The post featured a criticism of a religion (I won't say which and I hope nobody else will or this thread will be kaput too).

But we can see from this poll that those who have feelings about climate change outrank those who have feelings about religion 9:1.

That means offense it being caused to nine times as many people on the subject of climate change as on religion.

Whilst this poll is in no way scientific, one can't help conclude that, if the purpose of censorship is to avoid offense, the moderators should be pulling climate change threads instead of pulling threads on religion.

It won't happen and I know we can expect more of the same. And that's okay. But let's just get things straight. There is no moral high-ground here. Just commercial metrics. Commercial metrics somebody hopes are right. Just like the Brexit polls.

As it happens I have found it difficult to read some of the views expressed on the threads that were pulled. But hey, that's what forums are for: to encounter differences of opinion and to talk things through / vent.

I've known enough people who were not ashamed to share views I found distasteful, to know that those views did not make them bad people per se. One could always identify the source of their views. The real liberal looks inside himself and asks whether they would have responded any differently.

Instead, the "liberals" that occupy the MSM chose to judge and simply forget their own "inexcusable" un-PC history.

So, the BBC: if their moral compass is always so reliable, how do they explain:

The Black and White Minstrel Show , a British light entertainment show that ran on BBC television from 1958 to 1978 where the cast of entertainer blacked-up.

It Aint Half Hot Mum, a BBC sitcom where homosexuals and Indians were mocked ruthlessly.

The Lily Savage show, a BBC show that paints transsexuals as figures of fun.

Or even their banning of the Frankie Goes To Hollywood single "Relax" because it clearly referred to sex between homosexuals : where is the retrospective discrimination case if a cake-maker can be sued for not making a gay cake!

Okay, I'm rambling and pulling together tangentially related stuff. I guess in conclusion all I want to say is, if threads must be pulled:

- don't pretend it isn't censorship: it is by definition.

- don't try to justify it on grounds of decency: I promise you, that is a moving target.

That's it really.

2 hours ago, happy_renting said:

Climate change. Religion.

One is man-made, the other isn't.

noo...noo.noo.noo....

climate change IS a religeon...ultra greenie leftism is as intolerant as ISIS and puritanism...to deny the mantra is heresy,and you must be punished,