House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rollover

Tenants refusing to pay rent

I have a couple living in a flat I rent out and they have been there for 18 months. The rent charged is below market value and had never been increased. The property is managed through a leggings agency and he tenants are leaving in May. They are now two months in arrears and keep making up reasons why they can't pay their rent but I believe it's because they know they cannot be evicted before the end of their fixed term and really they are playing the system and have no intent on paying anything. All contact is through the property manager but I found the tenants in Instagram and ironically they are both "flash" with fancy cars and she is posing with designer handbags full of shoes last week.

WIBU to send her a direct message on Instagram asking her to call me to discuss the situation? I want to do it this way rather than a different way because then she will know I have seen evidence of her high spending and lifestyle whilst not paying her bills. All I intend to say is to introduce myself and ask her to get back to me to discuss their rental arrears. mumsnet

Some good advice there, people getting more realistic.

LLing is a business. There are lots of risks doing business.

The IR charged on BTL mortgages should reflect those risks.

BTL is not OO!

Fcktards all the way.

Lots of people living 'flash' lifestyles do so by running up and dodging repayment of, large debts.

Seriously, you've got the question the mentality of someone constantly seeking to show off how flush they are on social media.  It doesn't exactly scream 'this person is genuinely hard working and wealthy as a result' to me .....   If I was a landlord, on top of any other references and metrics, I'd definitely consider gathering as much info as possible on potential tenants via social media before letting.

19 minutes ago, Sour Mash said:

Lots of people living 'flash' lifestyles do so by running up and dodging repayment of, large debts.

Seriously, you've got the question the mentality of someone constantly seeking to show off how flush they are on social media.  It doesn't exactly scream 'this person is genuinely hard working and wealthy as a result' to me .....   If I was a landlord, on top of any other references and metrics, I'd definitely consider gathering as much info as possible on potential tenants via social media before letting.

Suppose you're a highly leveraged ******wit masquerading as a landlord and you wish to play God, using your over inflated sense of self worth, by selecting which particular serfs are blessed enough to live in a property owned by you, a leader amongst men...

Just who is going to pay your mortgage if no one is good enough for you?

7 hours ago, spyguy said:

LLing is a business. There are lots of risks doing business.

Spot on - a point a lot of landlords seem to miss. 

1 hour ago, MrMonkey said:

Anyone who is using a 'leggings agency' to manage their property is frankly asking for trouble.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who spotted that! :lol:

As a side note, won't mumsnet have to change their name to parentnet as it could be offensive. Like Dr's having to avoid using the phrase "expectant mother".

Edited by 200p

Tenants are probably fed up of being treated like sub humans.

Maybe they should abandon the name "landlord", and they should be called Housing Partners to put them at equal social standing to the Tenants.

This might make bad tenants more likely to pay the rent?

Nah..

Edited by 200p

2 hours ago, MrMonkey said:

Anyone who is using a 'leggings agency' to manage their property is frankly asking for trouble.

If they do leave I'm afraid you won't have a leg to stand on ?

Can you imagine the knock on effects if a real depression hits the UK and en mass people stop paying rent to the mass of private landlords who are one month away from mortgage default?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

8 hours ago, Sour Mash said:

I seem to recall an agency that claimed to do that being set up around a year or so ago. IIRC they required that prospected tenants friend them on social media so they could assess how honest/reliable they would be.

On 30/03/2017 at 3:22 PM, 24 year mortgage 8itch said:

Suppose you're a highly leveraged ******wit masquerading as a landlord and you wish to play God, using your over inflated sense of self worth, by selecting which particular serfs are blessed enough to live in a property owned by you, a leader amongst men...

Just who is going to pay your mortgage if no one is good enough for you?

Get that chip off your shoulder - Seeking not to end up with a bunch of crap non-paying tenants is a perfectly sensible and reasonable course of action for someone looking to let out a property.  And offering housing in return for rent is an entirely reasonable thing to do, especially since social housing is so heavily oversubscribed and under-provisioned.

Or would you just prefer it if private rental wasn't a thing?  Presumably in your la-la world there would be an unlimited amount of social housing and properties could be purchased outright for a few tens of thousands?

8 minutes ago, Sour Mash said:

Get that chip off your shoulder - Seeking not to end up with a bunch of crap non-paying tenants is a perfectly sensible and reasonable course of action for someone looking to let out a property.  And offering housing in return for rent is an entirely reasonable thing to do, especially since social housing is so heavily oversubscribed and under-provisioned.

Or would you just prefer it if private rental wasn't a thing?  Presumably in your la-la world there would be an unlimited amount of social housing and properties could be purchased outright for a few tens of thousands?

And you don't have a chip on YOUR shoulder about conspicuous consumption? Boot? Other foot? 

Where do tenants get to find out about their Landlord's liabilities, general financial situation and likelihood of getting things done when needed and not be sheared like a sheep whenever the landlord feels like it?

4 hours ago, Sour Mash said:

Renting land is not in any way a reasonable thing to do. Threatening people with eviction in return for money makes you a bad person.  

Yes, I'd prefer if private rental of land wasn't a thing at all.  The economy would be better off, we'd all be richer, there's very little downside.

Yes, houses would be available for tens of thousands of pounds, single figure thousands in some cases, in the absence of land speculators. 

Your mistake is to think that Landlording is basically an entrepreneurial activity. It isn't. 

Landlording is a hangover from feudalism.  Medieval warlords were not 'creating wealth' they were simply confiscating it, as are their modern descendants. 

Sure the landlord doesn't mind if the tenant puts the rent on the credit card and defaults on it.....better than having no credit card at all.;)

2 hours ago, DrBuyToLeech said:

Medieval warlords were not 'creating wealth' they were simply confiscating it, as are their modern descendants. 

That was a bit more meritocratic though. May the best fighter / army win. Violent yes, but meritocratic too. Best warriors had appeal to women for a mate etc. 

Nowadays you just need to be a plate washer with low intelligence born in the 60's to leach off the descendant of someone that defended dishwashers ascestors from enemies.

2 hours ago, DrBuyToLeech said:

Yes, I'd prefer if private rental of land wasn't a thing at all.  The economy would be better off, we'd all be richer, there's very little downside.

Yes, houses would be available for tens of thousands of pounds, single figure thousands in some cases, in the absence of land speculators. 

Your mistake is to think that Landlording is basically an entrepreneurial activity. It isn't.

People would have more equal chances at success then, and success would be more linked to hard work and talent. For a lot of adults this would be like going back to school, where you get graded for your work and your success depends on you. I don't think many have the maturity to do this. Although I would like to think people would want to live in a meritocracy with a social net.

Edited by Arpeggio