House Price Crash Forum

Goodbye 99p Stores

HOLA441

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/784394/Poundland-99p-stores-administration-60-shops-to-SHUT

HIGH street chain 99p Stores has shut 60 stores, after the Poundland-owned company fell into administration.

The budget outlets have been closed, but job losses have been kept to a minimum as most staff are set to be transferred to Poundland. 

The 99p Store locations axed were deemed unprofitable by the parent company, according to Retail Week.

Poundland bought its rival just two years ago and planned to convert 250 of its stores, but reportedly struggled with the acquistion.

Now almost a quarter of the original 99p Stores have been closed for good.

Does 1p make or break?

Not going to feel much sorrow. Shame for those who lose their jobs, however; these shops have a vile synthetic smell about them due to being packed to the gunnels with cheap plastic crap.

HOLA442
1 minute ago, cashinmattress said:

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/784394/Poundland-99p-stores-administration-60-shops-to-SHUT

Does 1p make or break?

Not going to feel much sorrow. Shame for those who lose their jobs, however; these shops have a vile synthetic smell about them due to being packed to the gunnels with cheap plastic crap.

Wonder what the redundo payout will be?

My youngest likes Poundland. I think its sh1t.

Ive noticed its get less + less busy. Seems like you cannot fool all the people all the time.

HOLA443

some of the stuff in there is like 2 to 5 pound so i'd guess inflation will eventually change things.  99p stores wouldn't get away with more but i can see pound land making stuff 2quid still under the same branding - not that i'm saying they will sell stuff at it.

HOLA444

I remember getting 4 cans of Coca-Cola at Poundland in 2009 for £1. Then it was 3 cans for £1, Now it's two cans for £1, lol. 

Come 2020 it'll be £1 to walk in and have a swig from a can at this rate :lol:

I don't know if they will raise prices or just offer ever decreasing product quantities/sizing

HOLA445