House Price Crash Forum

Rightmove - Market trends data

On 5/2/2017 at 9:33 AM, electrogear said:

Have a look at Rightmove's response...

"Hi Mike, my apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this, we were discussing this with our development team. They have advised us that this report will not be updated as it is shortly to be removed, due to very minimalistic usage of the report from consumers and estate agents. If you have any further questions on this please do let me know. Jess"

...interesting!!!

You can't have downward price trends if you don't have any price trends.

Genius.

Land Registry data has just come out. The recode now contains the sold data of March 2017. But the UK HPI (http://landregistry.data.gov.uk/app/ukhpi) seems not to be updated yet.

You can get the latest data via:

http://landregistry.data.gov.uk/app/ppd

or

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/price-paid-data-downloads#current-month-march-2017-data

Seems like the values I calculated before have been adjusted again, for instance Bracknell February transaction is increased from 33 to 60. Let's play with the data further.

I wonder when a website called Wrongmove would be created demonstrating down trending future values of assets purchased today. I'm studying the credit explosion in 2008 caused commodities to explode upwards, followed by an asset explosion upwards. Now commodities are crashing towards their 2008 values, I'm wondering when assets values will return to the 2008 prices.

Because I'm still not at all happy about RM's seemingly dodgy behaviour in ceasing to publish the inventory data, I've sent them another message feigning ignorance and enquiring as to why it's still not available despite more price info having been published this month.

I got this reply:

Hi ftb_fml,

Our developers are still working on this. Once I have an update from them, I will let you know.

If you have any further queries, please let me know.

Kind Regards,

So either one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, or they're trying to downplay the situation..

44 minutes ago, ftb_fml said:

Because I'm still not at all happy about RM's seemingly dodgy behaviour in ceasing to publish the inventory data, I've sent them another message feigning ignorance and enquiring as to why it's still not available despite more price info having been published this month.

I got this reply:

So either one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, or they're trying to downplay the situation..

I think they were happy to show updated graphs when prices were rising and supply was falling ... now though ... not so much :) 

4 hours ago, ftb_fml said:

I got this reply:

That's really interesting. I've had 2 different responses from then - 2 months ago it was a similar response to your's, but the second response as per my post earlier in the thread was that they are no longer going to publish the data to that chart (in which case why keep that chart tab going at all?!) I'm almost certain this is self preservation on their part - the longer they can delay the current listings figures showing how seriously stagnated the market is, the longer they can keep their shareholders in the dark... I wonder if the other chart data will cease once it starts to show a fall in prices?

i suspect a lot of people were actually using it. The house selling sites are not exactly complex and if your having trouble selling, or buying you would be bound to end up on this tab in the first 15 minutes of the buying/selling process.

With volumes so low its not great for share price at all, also it signals a dead market with few transactions. the obvious answer is to stop displaying the data, remove the tab until things are on the up-trend again. 

why would they be breaking any rules? its their data. just not showing it wont get them into trouble. If they made the data up then maybe, but its just not showing it. Of course here on HPC would love to see some of the bubble tools (this being a small part of said tools) being used to help HPC instead, by showing falls in price and volume.

but they were never going to allow that were they? although in some ways stopping updating is far more ominous for those selling. 

42 minutes ago, deadlyavenger said:

I'm happy re-tweet Mike Kilbys post (or was it on FB?) either way, maybe add the caption - "what are rightmove trying to hide?? That house prices are falling!!?"

If we all did this it would be bad publicity for them shirley?

I'm happy for you to re-tweet my post. I was beginning to feel like a bit of a conspiracy theorist, although quite a few of my work colleagues recently mentioned they'd seen my post and thought it was brilliant I was taking them to task on it.

EDIT - it was on facebook but I think you can share my post?

Edited by electrogear
Additional info
58 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

why would they be breaking any rules? its their data. just not showing it wont get them into trouble. If they made the data up then maybe, but its just not showing it. Of course here on HPC would love to see some of the bubble tools (this being a small part of said tools) being used to help HPC instead, by showing falls in price and volume.

but they were never going to allow that were they? although in some ways stopping updating is far more ominous for those selling. 

Yeah, they know they're doing nothing wrong, but I love how they think people are so naive to believe this ongoing issue is not easily resolved by a software team! I have a degree in web programming, and I know if I was employing a developer who took 6 weeks to solve a bug stopping data being transferred into a graphing function they would be getting sacked!

59 minutes ago, electrogear said:

Yeah, they know they're doing nothing wrong, but I love how they think people are so naive to believe this ongoing issue is not easily resolved by a software team! I have a degree in web programming, and I know if I was employing a developer who took 6 weeks to solve a bug stopping data being transferred into a graphing function they would be getting sacked!

Sacking someone for lack of ability to correct an issue is hardly humain. Maybe they don't have the money to hire a contractor to fix the misalignement.. B)

6 hours ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

I think they were happy to show updated graphs when prices were rising and supply was falling ... now though ... not so much :) 

Aye - I'd certainly like to think so and tbh I've learnt not to trust anyone with vested interests as far as I can throw them. That said I'm also wary of slinging accusations around simply because they suit my own agenda. If it turned out to be true that the data was being withheld because it went against their interests it would suggest that it was pretty damning!

2 hours ago, electrogear said:

That's really interesting. I've had 2 different responses from then - 2 months ago it was a similar response to your's, but the second response as per my post earlier in the thread was that they are no longer going to publish the data to that chart (in which case why keep that chart tab going at all?!) I'm almost certain this is self preservation on their part - the longer they can delay the current listings figures showing how seriously stagnated the market is, the longer they can keep their shareholders in the dark... I wonder if the other chart data will cease once it starts to show a fall in prices?

Yes - on page 1 of this thread bluegnu also gives details of a response he got from them in February after asking the same question. Thier answers to the three of us are varied and different, conclude from that what you will.

Tbh I'm quite tempted to punt them another message directly asking them if they're intentionally withholding information.

2 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

i suspect a lot of people were actually using it. The house selling sites are not exactly complex and if your having trouble selling, or buying you would be bound to end up on this tab in the first 15 minutes of the buying/selling process.

With volumes so low its not great for share price at all, also it signals a dead market with few transactions. the obvious answer is to stop displaying the data, remove the tab until things are on the up-trend again. 

You say that, but as we've seen many times on here your average house buyer (British citizen) evidently isn't that bright and even as a fully qualified spreadsheet-loving OCD data-miner, it took me a while to find the data and start attaching significance to it. 

1 hour ago, electrogear said:

Conversely I don't have a degree in web programming, but even I can understand that this process must be 99% automated and I'd guess that if anything it would require human intervention to prevent the data being published, rather than it being reliant on human input.

2 hours ago, deadlyavenger said:

I'm happy re-tweet Mike Kilbys post (or was it on FB?) either way, maybe add the caption - "what are rightmove trying to hide?? That house prices are falling!!?"

If we all did this it would be bad publicity for them shirley?

Indeed, and don't call me shirley!

looks like I picked the wrong week to give up bear food 

• 8 months later...

Transaction levels are dropping like a stone.  Maybe this is part of what they were trying to hide, lets play a game ...

1. Go to: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices.html

2. Search an area.

3. Restrict results to 2 years.  Note the Number of Transactions.

4. Restrict results to 1 year.  Note the Number of Transactions.

5. Subtract the number of results in 1 year from the number of results in 2 years.  This gives you the number of transactions in the year before last.

6. Work out the percentage difference between the numbers in Step 4 and 5.

So in my area (SK2).  959 sales over 2 years, 394 sales over 1 year.  Difference is 565.  Gives a 30% drop in transactions over the last 12 months.

What are other areas like?

18 minutes ago, sisyphal said:

Transaction levels are dropping like a stone.  Maybe this is part of what they were trying to hide, lets play a game ...

2. Search an area.

5. Subtract the number of results in 1 year from the number of results in 2 years.  This gives you the number of transactions in the year before last.

So in my area (SK2).  959 sales over 2 years, 394 sales over 1 year.  Difference is 565.  Gives a 30% drop in transactions over the last 12 months.

200 x 50,000

= 20 x 500,000

The agents are working 1/10th as hard for the same cash.

We should celebrate these entrepreneurs ( aka ****s ).

2 hours ago, sisyphal said:

2. Search an area.

I've followed Leicester postcodes out of interests for years.

The thing that's really noticeable these days is how many houses are SSTC.

Currently LE2 has 471 houses for sale.Include SSTC and it's 824.

A few years back the figure would have been 800 and maybe 1100.Sign of the times and maybe explains why prices have squeezed up in places like Leicester.

Steps 4 and 5

1 year 1281

2 years ago 1492

Transactions not down much

All in all looks like RM might be the perfect short

2 hours ago, sisyphal said:

2. Search an area.

It is 719 and 300 where I live. It was 1.39 times more two years ago compared to last year.