Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kurt Barlow

Spouse VISA processing times (for UK)

Recommended Posts

I came back to the UK in December. Mrs B came over for a couple of months holiday (on tourist VISA) in which time we got our son a British Passport. She has now gone back with Barlow Jnr and submitted her Spouse VISA application.

Its been in 9 days and she is now in a panic that it will get refused and she is reading all the horror stories on the Net.

We paid for the priority service (for what its worth)

Anyone been through this and care to share their processing time and any issues they have had?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I came back to the UK in December. Mrs B came over for a couple of months holiday (on tourist VISA) in which time we got our son a British Passport. She has now gone back with Barlow Jnr and submitted her Spouse VISA application.

Its been in 9 days and she is now in a panic that it will get refused and she is reading all the horror stories on the Net.

We paid for the priority service (for what its worth)

Anyone been through this and care to share their processing time and any issues they have had?

No idea.

I guess they are a bit overloaded a the mo.

Providing you've got cash, a job then you should be OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes

....but it was 12 years ago.

I didn't `declare` my money, had no where to live and had no job but the wife still got the visa.

It`s probably 100 times more difficult now.

But suddenly the visa comes !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"You’ll need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and you want to join, for 6 months or more, a partner or family member who’s living in the UK permanently"

How long have you been a permanent uk resident? 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't remember exactly, but it was definitely weeks (I'm thinking 4-6 weeks) rather than months.  It was a long time ago though. 

I too was told lots of horror stories, of the need for a specialist lawyer etc - but we just filled in the form and sent it off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good friend of mine is going through it currently, and has so far had his application refused twice. Once because he didn't use certified copies, the second because he's self employed and his accounts were structured the tax efficient way, so they questioned his ability to support his wife.

Each application took 14-16 weeks, had no substantive feedback and he lost the application fee. He's now engaging via one of those dodgy visa agencies and is going priority.

All a bit shocking really, as he's entitled to bring her here. Not something to look forward to!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, inactionman said:

A good friend of mine is going through it currently, and has so far had his application refused twice. Once because he didn't use certified copies, the second because he's self employed and his accounts were structured the tax efficient way, so they questioned his ability to support his wife.

Each application took 14-16 weeks, had no substantive feedback and he lost the application fee. He's now engaging via one of those dodgy visa agencies and is going priority.

All a bit shocking really, as he's entitled to bring her here. Not something to look forward to!

Well .. what does he expect?

The appers are full of EUers who've been refused becasue they've not filled in the paperwork.

Its not hard. Its just hoop jumping.

AS far as his tax affairs - you reap what you sow. If he had 50K in cash he ought to be able to point to that as a means of support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Spyguy....

50k will do. Keep this in mind before spending 6 months on some Thai beach and getting hitched to some bar girl.

Btw, it cost £250 to get the wife in (how much now ?) and she spent 2 years lazing around before working for the NHS. Looking back it wasn't worth it....I`d have been much better off with a Yorkshire lass !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, workingpoor said:

According to this, sponsor must be living and working in the uk for 6 months prior to applying for a spouse visa. (and able to produce records covering the last 6-12 months of uk earnings) 

http://www.depreyconsulting.com/uk-visas/marriage-visas/

Thats incorrect. You simply need to prove:

sufficient income in the previous 12 months (18,600) . I used my UK earnings which for 3 months were about 12K sterling and last 3 months of Australian earnings which were approximately $44,000

Adequate accommodation - I have a 2 bed apartment - submitted tenancy agremment, council tax bill, electric bill

Proof of a genuine relationship. We submitted joint Australian bank statements, our wedding cert, Sons Birth cert, joint tenancy in Oz, Photo collection going back to 2013 from 3 continents in prominent locations, joint Medicare card.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, workingpoor said:

"You’ll need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and you want to join, for 6 months or more, a partner or family member who’s living in the UK permanently"

How long have you been a permanent uk resident? 

I'm a Uk citizen. I left the UK in October 2010 and returned in December 2016. That is the Visa I have applied for my wife.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, inactionman said:

A good friend of mine is going through it currently, and has so far had his application refused twice. Once because he didn't use certified copies, the second because he's self employed and his accounts were structured the tax efficient way, so they questioned his ability to support his wife.

Each application took 14-16 weeks, had no substantive feedback and he lost the application fee. He's now engaging via one of those dodgy visa agencies and is going priority.

All a bit shocking really, as he's entitled to bring her here. Not something to look forward to!

This is what worries me. Here in the UK we got all bank statements stamped and signed by Barclays who were very helpful. My wife then took our ANZ ones to the bank in Adelaide and then spent over an hour arguing with the a-hole manager who refused to sign them and would only stamp despite signing being a five minute job. . If we get a refusal because of this I am going to ask ANZ for our VISA money which they will refuse so we will move all of money out of ANZ (and its a six figure sum) .

For my employment in the UK I have a letter (its a Govt Agency), pukka payslips, plus I have scanned all my security ID cards but written copy across. My pay is backed up with Barclays signed and stamped statements.

My Aussie earnings are supported by a Letter from my former employer, electronic payslips, and the ANZ statements

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, council dweller said:

Yes Spyguy....

50k will do. Keep this in mind before spending 6 months on some Thai beach and getting hitched to some bar girl.

Btw, it cost £250 to get the wife in (how much now ?) and she spent 2 years lazing around before working for the NHS. Looking back it wasn't worth it....I`d have been much better off with a Yorkshire lass !

Those were the easy days CD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, spyguy said:

Well .. what does he expect?

The appers are full of EUers who've been refused becasue they've not filled in the paperwork.

Its not hard. Its just hoop jumping.

AS far as his tax affairs - you reap what you sow. If he had 50K in cash he ought to be able to point to that as a means of support.

My only concern with our application is that the complete @nus Manager at the ANZ branch in Adelaide point blank refused to sign our statements to say they were genuine. He spent an hour arguing with my wife to avoid a 5 minute job. ANZ dont send genuine original statements anymore - they are just run off a PC printer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Serious question - can't you just get her into the country and then use all the legal loop holes, once here, to keep her here? She has a British son after all. So many others seem to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Serious question - can't you just get her into the country and then use all the legal loop holes, once here, to keep her here? She has a British son after all. So many others seem to do that.

They came for a holiday in Feb and I went to a Lawyer to ask this question. They said no way and its very easy to deport to Australia. Basically UK govt policy is punish the honest.

Update - Mrs B range a home office hotline and found out visa being processed but unlikely to be determined B4 end of April. I am going take two weeks off and have another Oz holiday which will be our 2017 holiday. Its like they deliberately want to keep you apart for as long as possible. We cant even meet in somewhere midway (Dubai) because the Home Office have her passport.

The 10-15 days priority application is ******** to rip you off of 400 quid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Wife got an email from the HM in Sheffield this morning saying that they had not received her sponsors information. If not received in 10 days application will be determined (and rejected)

She emailed back to say the documents were delivered by registered delivery to a HM Address (the one given)  on the 14.03 and signed for by G *******.

I rang the HM helpline (at 1.37 quid a minute) to find out the address that VFS have given my wife is wrong and the HM are aware that they keep doing this. Our problem is that several of the documents in that package are originals and the HM won't accept copies.

This has now been escalated as a complaint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, willie said:

Have you tried you MP to help you?

 

That is the list but I don't want to be precipitous at this stage.

 

The HM make out they are doing you a favour - ignoring the fact we have paid over $2000 (non returnable on a rejection) for them to process a few bits of paper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope you get it sorted out soon, you are being treated very poorly indeed.

Heard a similar tale from a friend a number of years ago who, as an American citizen, had to visit a visa office in person on a particular day and basically sat all day and didn't get called to the desk. They got really arsey with him when they shut up shop and told him to go away and return next day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Office that the sponsor details got sent to is a Home Office building . My wife managed to get this from Australia Post (via Royal Mail). So our documentation has been received and signed for at a Home Office building - we can get written evidence of this.

The wrong address in question is known to be a wrong address that information is sent to because the fookwits at VFS keep handing it out.

Given this I am going to email them tomorrow to try and get an assurance that out application is not on a 10 day countdown as it is them who have mislaid our documentation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Knimbies who say No said:

Crackers. The office in question must have sackloads of mail for the right one. What do they do with it, shred it..?

God knows.

My wife is borderline nervous breakdown. Not a good start to a migration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, The Knimbies who say No said:

'Welcome to the UK'.

Hopefully your good lady doesn't assume the natives endorse this sort of extreme twattishness carried out on their behalf. With luck, the whole sorry episode will soon be a fading memory when you are all settled here.

I hope so. A major anxiety for her is our son. He is only 18 months old but goes and waits by the front door early evening (for me).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   101 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.