House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Time to raise the rents.

Your Chance To Show Me The Way

Here's my dilema

I've remortgaged and extracted some money, over 100k, which was my deposit on my purchase which fell through. I've been searching for another good value property to place that money into, but no luck yet.

So I'm considering what else I could do with that money. The main options I see are:

- Pay it back to the bank into my highest rate loan

- Place it with ING & be able to get it out soon.

- Place it in some kind of term deposit

- Gamble it on shares.

- Bet it at the races.

- Buy lottery tickets.

- Buy Premium Bonds (but I heard there's a 30k limit?)

Now obviously I don't aim to lose this money, so what do you think I should do?

Edited by Time to raise the rents.

Here's my dilema

I've remortgaged an extracted some money, over 100k, which was my deposit on my purchase which fell through. I've been searching for another good value property to place that money into, but no luck yet.

So I'm considering what else I could do with that money. The main options I see are:

- Gamble it on shares.

- Bet it at the races.

- Buy lottery tickets.

Give it back to its rightful owner?

Invest in an ethical fund?

place it in ING so you can get at it quickly and use it for what you originally intended it for.......

.......................Your purchase fell through so i assume you're still looking for a place

I'm looking for some serious answers here. You lot are always banging on about other things being better than property. Convince me.

place it in ING so you can get at it quickly and use it for what you originally intended it for.......

.......................Your purchase fell through so i assume you're still looking for a place

Now see that's good advice, thanks. But alternatives are welcome.

I'm looking for some serious answers here. You lot are always banging on about other things being better than property. Convince me.

I have just moved my money from ING to Abbey. I get a rate of just over £5% with them as they currently are offering a .5% bonus.

If you've got debt on property, surely putting it back in is the best option?

Its safe, and you win.

For someone like me who has no property, I'm investing in Japan, Asia and Pacific at the moment

as well as maxing my ISAs and using a high interest savings account.

Hehe you must be joking else you've got some some real nerve. You post on here continually about property being better than everything and how well you have done etc..etc.. then you turn round and ask for investment advice?? :blink:

Put it in BTL of course, you can't lose. Deal fell through? Surely there are others just waiting for the tender caress of your rackman managerial skills. If you are looking for a place to put it for a few weeks then stick it under your mattress.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Here's my dilema

I've remortgaged and extracted some money, over 100k, which was my deposit on my purchase which fell through. I've been searching for another good value property to place that money into, but no luck yet.

Buy Premium Bonds (but I heard there's a 30k limit?)

30k each in PBs for you and the wife and the balance purchased on behalf of your children.

There you go 100k safely invested. ;)

Oh dear oh dear. While I agree that you should diversify your investments, releasing equity is NOT the way to go about it. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Having said that, if you are looking for investment tips and can hack the volatility, I would go for a Nikkei ETF.

Edited by Van

Don't forget the tax implications of any investment. That will depend on your circumstances.

You and your Mrs could invest 60k in premium bonds for a tax free return.

Depends on the rate of the loan; if it exceeds the probable ROI on your capital (At most a probable would be about 8/9%) clear it. If not stick it in some relatively low risk funds, and if you're hoping for a better return, stick it something iwth a Japan / China focus.

Alternatively, if you've got a steady income, and all these assets to cover your retiremnt, then why the hell aren't you just enjoying it? Go on holiday, have more kids... whatever.

I'm paying 4.94% for it. I can get 5.24% by paying it back into my most expensive loan. The problem though is that they have redemption penalties, so I have to be careful how much I pay back & may need to spread it around a few loans if I do that.

I'm looking for the overnight riches that you all talk about, the one that's gonna pay off al the others. Can't I get a 95% loan on some shares or something & multiply the money by 20 in weeks?

Internaxx of Luxemburg

I reckon you start off with an Internaxx account that way you can trade live. Their commission on ~£100K is relatively small.

Then you need to pay attention to what people in the know are telling you, and try and work out why they are telling you this.

Good advice is to look for a growing sector, renewable fuel? Try and spread your investment over the historically better performing companies.

Here’s a mind teaser; do you think the price of West Texas crude will go up or down in the run up to this years hurricane season?

Baring in mind last season was the roughest on record, how will that affect people’s nerves/confidence?

Look at the possibility of US citizens stock piling fuel reserves in the summer, this doesn’t need to happen but the potential is there.

What does a higher US oil price mean?

This is the sort of way you should be thinking

High oil prices mean oil companies make a killing. Don't be surprised if we see another year of record profits for Exxon, Texaco, BP and the like. But check out each of them individually so you know who is exposed to what. This will allow you to predict what stock to dissolve when.

There's a high potential for these companies to make huge sums this year at the expense of strangling the global economy. But you need to select several suitable strategies i.e. other sectors, Chinese manufacturing? If you agree select non oil intense manufacturers. This will also protect you from developing a sentimental attachment to oil stocks similar to that which will eventually cost TTRTR his property portfolio. Oil is not for ever, you have been warned.

P.S To trade with confidence you need to be better informed than the herd, education starts at home.

[edit] forgot the Internaxx link

Edited by ?...!

Reduce your gearing and pay off some of your debt.....

If you cant because of penalties, put it in the stock market, and spread your risk a bit...

Edited by moosetea

You could use CFD's and spreadbets and trade on margin but it is incredibly risky and I wouldn't advise anyone to do that.

You need to check that you can offset your income against the interest payments or you could end up out of pocket.

Internaxx of Luxemburg

I reckon you start off with an Internaxx account that way you can trade live. Their commission on ~£100K is relatively small.

Then you need to pay attention to what people in the know are telling you, and try and work out why they are telling you this.

Good advice is to look for a growing sector, renewable fuel? Try and spread your investment over the historically better performing companies.

Here’s a mind teaser; do you think the price of West Texas crude will go up or down in the run up to this years hurricane season?

Baring in mind last season was the roughest on record, how will that affect people’s nerves/confidence?

Look at the possibility of US citizens stock piling fuel reserves in the summer, this doesn’t need to happen but the potential is there.

What does a higher US oil price mean?

This is the sort of way you should be thinking

High oil prices mean oil companies make a killing. Don't be surprised if we see another year of record profits for Exxon, Texaco, BP and the like. But check out each of them individually so you know who is exposed to what. This will allow you to predict what stock to dissolve when.

There's a high potential for these companies to make huge sums this year at the expense of strangling the global economy. But you need to select several suitable strategies i.e. other sectors, Chinese manufacturing? If you agree select non oil intense manufacturers. This will also protect you from developing a sentimental attachment to oil stocks similar to that which will eventually cost TTRTR his property portfolio. Oil is not for ever, you have been warned.

P.S To trade with confidence you need to be better informed than the herd, education starts at home.

[edit] forgot the Internaxx link

I'll check that out when I have a spare hour. Thanks.

Here's my dilema

- Gamble it on shares.

- Bet it at the races.

- Buy lottery tickets.

Seriously, why don't you diversify your business? Lots of other business opportunities out there. Import some cr@p from China or Eastern Europe and sell it? Or open an Aussie restaurant in Stockholm?

Edited by murpaul

TTTTR......... you believe that house prices are/will rise yes?

In which case ...... all properties are 'good value', because they will all tend to rise with the market.

So I cannot understand why you are not simply buying any old property with your £100k.

If I believed that properties were rising in value ot were set to rise in value that's what I would do, except I don't I think house prices are/will fall.

Unless of course you're trying to tell us that you infact believe that prices are falling and that in order to try and recoup the losses you are going to be daft enough to borrow against the notional security of your house and try to play the markets?

This has been in the news recently BTL landlords MEWing in order to buy into equities.......33 months into a Bull market.

Edited by timmy_30

Seriously, why don't you diversify your business? Lots of other business opportunities out there. Import some cr@p from China or Eastern Europe and sell it? Or open an Aussie restaurant in Stockholm?

Sounds good actually. Buy a widget for £2 & sell it for £4. Probably the best use of capital & time there is for a 100% return.

I'm thinking about it, but I'm quite far from Stockholm & the nature of my work, going to London to replace light bulbs etc means I need something that I can down tools & disappear for as long as I need to.

Maybe I should become one of those money making machines on Ebay you hear about. Mmm, I think they sell a how to book on Ebay as well......gotta go.....got something to do.

Edited by Time to raise the rents.

Assuming you do not need to access the money for the next 3 years or so, I would put 30% of the money into paying off your mortgage principles, if your mortgages allow this without penalty (or whatever maximum they do allow). The rest I would divide between German and Japanese large-cap ETFs. I would moderately gear these latter investments, which should be possible through most brokers.

frugalista

Assuming you do not need to access the money for the next 3 years or so, I would put 30% of the money into paying off your mortgage principles, if your mortgages allow this without penalty (or whatever maximum they do allow). The rest I would divide between German and Japanese large-cap ETFs. I would moderately gear these latter investments, which should be possible through most brokers.

frugalista

Paying off his mortgage principal? The money IS his mortgage principal!

I reckon he should buy gold bars and bury them in the woods outside Stockholm. When the shit hits the fan, he can dig them up and sell them on for cash to live on.

All his other assets will be taken by the bailiffs.