House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

200p

Edd China leaves Wheeler Dealers!

The new owners of the show are at odds with the format - this is against his morals, as they want to dumb it down.

He could make his own show easily with a camcorder, he already has 100K subscribers with hardly any videos on his channel. He has the most important thing already - the know how in fixing cars!

It barely makes sense. They started making quality content with a small team. Have been able to grow and justify having a huge team due to stunning viewing numbers (it's on terrestrial TV in Spain for example) but now they want to cut production costs?

Sounds like they just want to Americanise it and make it like Fast 'n' Loud (Gas Monkey).

I never realised that it's been going on since 2002. :blink:

I quite enjoy watching it on Quest whenever I can catch it. And I'm no engineer. I particularly liked the Citroen DS episode. ;)

Although I have little interest in cars, I did enjoy the sections in Edd's implausibly well-equipped workshop where he took stuff apart and fixed it. It's closer to my clumsy attempts at car maintenance than any other show, particularly in the early episodes where he actually got things wrong sometimes. I hope he can start making a similar TV show.

One of the few TV shows of the 'reality' type that I actually love watching - as it doesn't patronise, you always learn something new, and Edd knows his stuff.

Always used to miss the first 10-15 mins of WD - ie the Brewer part. Seemed a nice enough chap with his cheeky "go on, shake my hand" routine, week in week out. But I watched the show for Edd and his clearly unscripted efforts. The show was clearly "proper real" in that regard.

When I did get around to watching the show start to finish, frankly I was Brewered-out.

I'm afraid for me the show IS Edd. Sorry Mike. Sorry WD.

WD will be like Bake-Off w/o Berry. Top Gear w/o Clarkson. And it will certainly be WD w/o Sledgehead watching.

Didn't realise it was a going concern, usually watch on YouTube but not for ages. Thought Ed's tips were often really useful, from simple stuff like repairing cracked bumpers to more involved bits like pulling out a stoved in door etc. The whole concept required a bit of suspension of disbelief on the financial side of things I imagine and if Ed ends up doing much the same independently, without the overarching concept it might be much better to cut the horsetrading stuff altogether.

As others have said though, there are plenty of people doing likewise so pitching it to the right level might be tricky.

13 hours ago, The Knimbies who say No said:

Didn't realise it was a going concern, usually watch on YouTube but not for ages. Thought Ed's tips were often really useful, from simple stuff like repairing cracked bumpers to more involved bits like pulling out a stoved in door etc. The whole concept required a bit of suspension of disbelief on the financial side of things I imagine and if Ed ends up doing much the same independently, without the overarching concept it might be much better to cut the horsetrading stuff altogether.

As others have said though, there are plenty of people doing likewise so pitching it to the right level might be tricky.

That was all my problem with it. 

"Bought the motor for £500, a new set for tyres for £40 and £200 on parts, sold for £5k, nice tidy profit." 

Lets just forget the insanely well equipped garage facilities and the £10k's worth of manual labour. 

The interesting part of the show is all the work done on the car, as you say doesn't really need the wheeler dealer bit. The name of the show, they opening and closing segments are all about money, but that I suspect is little to do with why people watch it. 

1 minute ago, gilf said:

That was all my problem with it. 

"Bought the motor for £500, a new set for tyres for £40 and £200 on parts, sold for £5k, nice tidy profit." 

Lets just forget the insanely well equipped garage facilities and the £10k's worth of manual labour. 

The interesting part of the show is all the work done on the car, as you say doesn't really need the wheeler dealer bit. The name of the show, they opening and closing segments are all about money, but that I suspect is little to do with why people watch it. 

Surely that was the point? It puts off all the johnny come latelys who think they can buy old prestige cars and do them up for a profit. (Does't work with property p0rn, people believe the suspension of reality)

My car was used on the RX7 episode, the blue one at the start that is supposed to show what a good standard car looks like.  It took a whole day of filming on a private track near London to get those two minutes.

The guy that did the engine mods/tuning for the silver RX7 looks after my rotaries.

38 minutes ago, VeryMeanReversion said:

My car was used on the RX7 episode, the blue one at the start that is supposed to show what a good standard car looks like.  It took a whole day of filming on a private track near London to get those two minutes.

The guy that did the engine mods/tuning for the silver RX7 looks after my rotaries.

I used to have 2. A standard FD type RZ and a 1990 FC track car, single GT35 turbo, 400bhp, water injection, omp removed. Love the rotary, can't beat the smoothness and the sound they make at 9k rpm. I see the used market has gone crazy recently.

Ed can make this a brilliant success from this - he can make a series of shows, release DVDs, books, endorsed Car Tool Kits, Mugs, T-Shirts etc.

The video in the original post has already had over 2m+ views in one week. He definitely has a massive fan base all over the world. People trust Edd.

On 27/03/2017 at 5:01 PM, MattW said:

I never realised that it's been going on since 2002. :blink:

I quite enjoy watching it on Quest whenever I can catch it. And I'm no engineer. I particularly liked the Citroen DS episode. ;)

Quest and a bit of sport is about all i can hack on tv these days. Love Wheeler Dealers.

Salvage Hunters, The Alaskan Railroad show, and How its Made are a good antidote to the MSM ******** parade.

Someone should defo sign him up.

The yank versions of this show are completely charmless and dull.

2 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Never seen it. Only clicked on this thread 'cause the forum's so dead at the moment.

"all" might have been over egging slightly TBF.

Ive just been getting in to it lately even though ive known of it for years.

I wonder why the forum might be dead eh readers.....??

Cant think why that might be.....

Maybe Edd China syndrome has spread through OT?

5 hours ago, 200p said:

Ed can make this a brilliant success from this - he can make a series of shows, release DVDs, books, endorsed Car Tool Kits, Mugs, T-Shirts etc.

The video in the original post has already had over 2m+ views in one week. He definitely has a massive fan base all over the world. People trust Edd.

Completely off topic, but does anybody else think of that nice man Dr Christian Jessen when they see that Skeletor guy in the tv ad?

On topic: Saw an episode where they t@rted up a Mk1 XR2. Bought a shell as a donor car (that just happened to have all the bits they needed!) for £1k, threw the junk bits in and then sold it for £875..... Didn't ring true. A pity, as China has a broad range of mechanic skills, rarely found nowadays!

1 hour ago, AThirdWay said:

On topic: Saw an episode where they t@rted up a Mk1 XR2. Bought a shell as a donor car (that just happened to have all the bits they needed!) for £1k, threw the junk bits in and then sold it for £875..... Didn't ring true. A pity, as China has a broad range of mechanic skills, rarely found nowadays!

A while back one of my best friends did some work on Whittingstalls patch down in Dorset. Most of the "produce" arrived on flat bed trucks.

Its TV, it HAS to happen.

Roll VT.

Cut. 

5 hours ago, AThirdWay said:

Completely off topic, but does anybody else think of that nice man Dr Christian Jessen when they see that Skeletor guy in the tv ad?

This stupid ad