HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
5 minutes ago, The Eagle said:

Here we go, another thread that will be locked soon... :o

I don't see why stating a fact should result in that - but that's up to those running HPC.  Even the authorities say it's a "suspected" gas explosion - which it probably is but they aren't certain.

HOLA447

I heard it was three explosions so far, but probably just echos.

Did anyone actually hear it/them?

[weirdly, I was in the garden at about 9:30 and heard a quiet distant boom -- thought it was thunder but no clouds...  bit far to Wiltshire so probably unrelated... nice story though...]

HOLA448
4 minutes ago, billybong said:

I don't see why stating a fact should result in that

I didn't mean your post would directly trigger the locking, but rather that it steers this thread into a direction which eventually will cause it to be locked.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
16 minutes ago, The Eagle said:

I didn't mean your post would directly trigger the locking, but rather that it steers this thread into a direction which eventually will cause it to be locked.

Fair enough but I wasn't steering it in any direction - merely remarking that until the authorities have come to a firm conclusion then there are currently other possibilities - aka information and reminder.  It was pretty much stating the obvious and at the same time acknowledging that it's almost certainly just a gas explosion (or similar) as they initially suspect.

It seems to be a relatively large explosion(s) with many injured.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
6 hours ago, Errol said:

Was it a bomb factory or something?

Sounds like it might have been gas in the end.  Funny though -- it is quite difficult to level a building that completely with natural gas.  I suppose it was a very large empty single space, with weaksih walls -- relatively easier to get the explosive power >> the containment.

[town/coal gas is a different beast -- much easier to level a building with that]

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
33 minutes ago, Byron said:

Someone told me that because gas does not need an oxidant, weight by weight it is 8 times more powerful than TNT

This might have been true of coal gas (mixture of carbon monoxide and hydrogen, hence why you could kill yourself by sticking your head in the oven) but I think modern gas is fairly pure methane which needs an oxidant to combust.

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, dgul said:

Sounds like it might have been gas in the end.  Funny though -- it is quite difficult to level a building that completely with natural gas.  I suppose it was a very large empty single space, with weaksih walls -- relatively easier to get the explosive power >> the containment.

[town/coal gas is a different beast -- much easier to level a building with that]

I guess if it had some decent sized windows/doors then that might have dissipated the explosion but maybe there weren't any or they were very small.  Normally for gas explosions you see part of the building levelled and lesser damage elsewhere (in media photos etc) - the weakest part (often the roof) dissipates the blast and not such a uniform and complete levelling as apparently in this case.

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, Byron said:

Someone told me that because gas does not need an oxidant, weight by weight it is 8 times more powerful than TNT

Well, it definitely needs an oxidant...  I suppose the complicated bit is that it can just use air as the oxidant, rather than explosives which have to have a special oxidising element in the mix.

And I suppose the energy might be 8x greater than TNT, but with explosives it is the speed of the reaction that counts, not so much the energy.  Natural gas is fairly slow compared with TNT (and town gas, for that matter).

Finally, re. the 'weight by weight' -- TNT holds its own oxidant, so to give a fair comparison you should use the weight of the gas-air mixture, not the gas alone.  And because the air contains lots of unhelpful nitrogen, there'll be much more air in the mixture than gas (I'd have thought about 30x more).

HOLA4424
27 minutes ago, billybong said:

I guess if it had some decent sized windows/doors then that might have dissipated the explosion but maybe there weren't any or they were very small.  Normally for gas explosions you see part of the building levelled and lesser damage elsewhere (in media photos etc) - the weakest part (often the roof) dissipates the blast and not such a uniform and complete levelling as apparently in this case.

that sounds about right.  A combination of large volume:wall-area ratio and no/limited weak points.  

Archived