Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Scotland part 2: Fort William

Recommended Posts

Back for a second visit. West coast this time - Fort William.

Left Hampshire at 04:00 and arrived at 15:30. Not helped by the closure on the M6.

We've checked in and are currently sat in a pub, I've had one beer and I'm so shattered that I will either come alive again with the alcohol or else shortly be face-down in a pool of dribble.

Plan is to eat, have some drinks, sleep for a few hours then try some pubs.

Of which there seem to be plenty, looks like a nice little town.

Then to get out and about in next few days. Scenery coming through the mountains was stunning.

Have taken plenty of videos and photos to bore you with in that way that people do, when they assume that everyone else will have great interest in their holiday snaps.

Any recommendations for places here or nearby?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You've chosen an incredibly good weekend for it !! Glencoe is nearby and is fantastic scenery. You can even drive past Jimmy Saviles old cottage !!

There is also the Glencoe ski hill that is still open - you can just get the chairlift up  [Old school its an experience !] for amazing views if you don't fancy the sliding.

Even closer to you is the Nevis range ski area. They have a proper modern gondola that takes you to the top. Again views tomorrow will be SENSATIONAL. And you wont have to worry too much about the cold.

If you fancy further afield there is Mull which is one of my favourite places in Jockland. There are 2 ways to get to it via ferry I think. Good bit further away but definitely worth it.

Arisaig and Mallaig are lovely out to the West as well. And from there you can get a ferry over to Skye. Which again will be looking great just now.

I've done a wee loop from where you are to Glencoe - then down to Oban for the ferry across to Mull. Then the ferry from Tobermoray [Ballamoray] on Mull over to the mainland where there is a cracking drive up to Arisaig. Then from there you can get another ferry up to Skye from Mallaig. From there after going around Skye you can come back down across the Skye bridge and have amazing wee places like Plockton to visit before heading down to Fort William. Maybe a bit much driving but if you have a week or so highly recommended. Anyway choose any of these options and you shall not be disappointed. Enjoy.

 

 

Plenty of choices. I'm a jealous jock !! Although I am playing golf in the sun tomorrow so cant grumble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jimmy Saville's old cottage? Eurgh!:o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me and Mrs XYY have many photos of us in Scotland.

One that is among our favourites is of us chomping on Big Macs in Fort William.

We'd driven up there from our lodgings in a place called Dalrymple in Ayrshire - via loch Lomond and Glencoe.

You really are making me jealous Mark...!

;)

 

 

XYY

                                                                                                               

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

between oban and kilmartin are some cool standing stones and it is a lovely drive you have to keep a keen eye for them as they are not sign posted. The road to glenfinnan is nice too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try to get up to Ullapool if possible, nice seafront and amazing chippy over looking the bay. When you are out and about, if you can head up to Eilean Donan castle is well worth a visit. Fort William can be fun for a weekend out though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clachaig Inn in Glencoe. Awesome selection of whiskey and stonking views to enjoy it with. Go for a walk into The Lost Valley if you're feeling fit and the weather is good.

I was in the ski resort in Glencoe last weekend on the gondola. Good fun! But bugger all snow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Fort William? Not the nicest place in the world, rather depressing really, despite its great location.

It is what it is. Makes money from tourism!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Fort William? Not the nicest place in the world, rather depressing really, despite its great location.

True that, for such a stunning location it's a bit grim. God knows where all the tourist money goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went for a day visit couple of years ago.....

High Street runs parallel to the Loch and is mostly pedestrianised if I recall properly. Not so much pubs in that part of the World but more bars. Hotel bars are nearer what we English would describe as a pub. Few bars down the Hi Street along with the wool and whisky and tartan shops.

Nevis range ski centre is a few miles out of town and has a gondola ride up the hill. If there is snow on the tops (still a reasonable chance this time of year) there will be ski-ing and it will be busy over the weekend. Many years since have been up that hill as my ski-ing days are over.

What I did find of interest is the Royal Marine Commando memorial again a few miles outside of the town. Placed here as the hills that surround the place is where they were trained in WW2. Incredibly remote place on the side of the Loch surrounded by Mountains.

Last time we went we got involved in an ashes dedication ceremony. Old marines leave wishes that their ashes are scattered on the heather gardens that from part of the memorial which is covered in family messages, pictures of loved ones and unit plaques. If war memorials hold no interest the site will for the photo opportunities it presents.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commando_Memorial

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to visit the brewery at the head of loch fyne. Fyne ales its called. they have a bar onsight where you can get samples. I think the stout they do is something special. Inverary for a wee visit too which is just down the road, brambles cafe is lovely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As per ccc's recommendations 

plus, if you are going to Arisaig/Mallaig route, go to a beach called Camusdarach (google is your friend). This is where the beach scenes from Local Hero were filmed. On good day day, you could be in the Caribbean, but with the mountains of Skye, Rhum and Eigg off on the horizon. 

And don't tell anyone about it (fight club rules)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're there already, then how about a slog up Ben Nevis - the highest point in the UK? Assuming you've not been up it already, it's basically a long footpath so not technically difficult.

Also, a drive up to Skye and a look at the Black Coullins - they're the best mountains in the UK IMO (and I've been up em all). Go to the Glen Brittle campsite and walk to the foot of the Great Stone Chute. Walking up it to the top of Sgurr Alasdair is a grade 1 scramble though.  Or a bit less gung ho is the other end of the famous Devils Causeway on Skye. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Captain Cavey said:

As per ccc's recommendations 

plus, if you are going to Arisaig/Mallaig route, go to a beach called Camusdarach (google is your friend). This is where the beach scenes from Local Hero were filmed. On good day day, you could be in the Caribbean, but with the mountains of Skye, Rhum and Eigg off on the horizon. 

And don't tell anyone about it (fight club rules)

I camped for a night at the beach just across from that. Can't mind the name but lovely spot. 

3 hours ago, newbonic said:

If you're there already, then how about a slog up Ben Nevis - the highest point in the UK? Assuming you've not been up it already, it's basically a long footpath so not technically difficult.

Also, a drive up to Skye and a look at the Black Coullins - they're the best mountains in the UK IMO (and I've been up em all). Go to the Glen Brittle campsite and walk to the foot of the Great Stone Chute. Walking up it to the top of Sgurr Alasdair is a grade 1 scramble though.  Or a bit less gung ho is the other end of the famous Devils Causeway on Skye. 

Still a fair bit of snow from last week above 800m. A wander up the top of Ben Nevis may require some serious footwear !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, UncleMeat said:

Try to get up to Ullapool if possible, nice seafront and amazing chippy over looking the bay. When you are out and about, if you can head up to Eilean Donan castle is well worth a visit. Fort William can be fun for a weekend out though.

Agreed...Ullapool is really nice. Fantastic pub with live music. Chippy always busy. In fact most of the stretch between Inverness and Ullapool is pretty.

We missed the ferry across to Outer Hebrides and not a single room available in town. A B&B in Ullapool would do well.

 

Not so keen on the Islands though (Outer Hebrides).  I'm currently in Orkney. Very different and more laid back. Kirkwall is old and attractive....dates back to Vikings.....cathedral was built in 1200. Fantastic pubs with Scapa beer (real ale) and loads of artists and musicians here. And the archaeology is stunning.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

I'd head north towards Arisaig/ Morar, but I'd guess that might not be lonely enough for you.

I went sea kayaking near Arisaig last summer, loved it. Mind you it was a beautiful calm, sunny day (just a few small waves on the more exposed bits). Not typical weather though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a huge fan of Fort Bill, bit touristy/cheesy for me. Wonderful location for getting around though. Only an hour or so from some of the most stunning beaches in the UK over on Ardnamurchan. Can take in Glenfinnan on the way there too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the tips. Beautiful day today, not a cloud in the sky.

I quite like Fort William, clearly a tourist resort but its immaculately clean and pleasant. The view of the loch and the mountains is great.

Pub crawl in town tonight ;) then out and about tomorrow.

On last Scotland visit the only new birds I saw were Linnets but so far have seen an osprey, a hooded crow and an eagle (in the mountains on the way here).

And so to the next bar shortly, they all seem to have live music tonight.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Thanks for all the tips. Beautiful day today, not a cloud in the sky.

I quite like Fort William, clearly a tourist resort but its immaculately clean and pleasant. The view of the loch and the mountains is great.

Pub crawl in town tonight ;) then out and about tomorrow.

On last Scotland visit the only new birds I saw were Linnets but so far have seen an osprey, a hooded crow and an eagle (in the mountains on the way here).

And so to the next bar shortly, they all seem to have live music tonight.

 

As you arrived by car it wouldn't affect you. But the railway station and subsequent subway entry into the town is grim indeed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

As you arrived by car it wouldn't affect you. But the railway station and subsequent subway entry into the town is grim indeed. 

As a somewhat random observation, Utrecht in Holland is like that. Town is ok though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DTMark said:

As a somewhat random observation, Utrecht in Holland is like that. Town is ok though.

Train stations in general are scum attractors for some reason, regardless of country. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   65 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.