House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Reck B

Mods: If (when) a new terrorist attack happens

Are we able to discuss it in the Off Topic forum? If so, would it be possible to set down what is and isn't acceptable so threads don't get deleted?

Personally speaking, I find it a great help to be able to discuss these things and make sense of threm with people I am familiar with but anonymously, If that makes sense?

Sorry Reck B but it has been proved time and again that some posters on here just can't keep their bile to themselves.  Warnings and guidelines have been pinned at the top of the page but the Moderators still get abuse when they point out that Fubra cannot continue in business if they are black listed by Google.  

The Off topic forum on HPC is the one which is complained about therefore Fubra are enforcing the rule that views expressed should be appropriate to a property related forum.

This means therefore that no topic will be allowed which contains posts abusing people for their race, religion or ethnicity as per the forum rules.

If another attack happens and a thread is posted then as soon as it crosses that line then it is deleted.  No arguments will be allowed.

Rules are quite straight forward and in particular

No derogatory comments against others, including slurs based on race, religion, gender, sexual preference, or political affiliation. No personal threats or harassment.

Always treat fellow posters with respect and courtesy.

This is a property related forum and it is read by people of all religions or none and no-one should have to stop reading this forum because their particular belief is being ridiculed or treated offensively

10 minutes ago, The Moderators said:

Fubra cannot continue in business if they are black listed by Google. 

This is the root of the problem. This states that Fubra's business hangs on what Google perceive to be 'non-hateful' speech, it really limits what we can talk about here. We are at the mercy of what Google deems is proper it would seem.

It's a shame, but I can't blame Fubra if the above is true. They're just trying to protect their business, which is what I would do if I owned the business. I guess the only alternative would be for the regular Off-Topic folk to all chip in and fund our own forum, aside from any commercial interests?

Edited by JoeDavola

1 minute ago, onlyme2 said:

Just to confirm, the complaint is from Google then?

Last word on this.  This forum belongs to Fubra you pay nothing for using it therefore you have to work within Fubra's rules or you get removed.  If anyone feels that they are being censored then they are free to go elswhere.  The moderators will not be discussing this further.

1 minute ago, JoeDavola said:

This is the root of the problem. Given Fubra's business hangs on what Google perceive to be 'non-hateful' speech, it really limits what we can talk about here.

It's a shame, but I can't blame Fubra if the above is true. I guess the only alternative would be for the regular Off-Topic folk to all chip in and fund our own forum, aside from any commercial interests?

exactly.  Unsustainable Future started their own forum but were soon swallowed whole by the Off topic.  The Moderators are not going to allow HPC to be ditched because of the actions of posters with an agenda.

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

This is the root of the problem. Given Fubra's business hangs on what Google perceive to be 'non-hateful' speech, it really limits what we can talk about here.

It's a shame, but I can't blame Fubra if the above is true. I guess the only alternative would be for the regular Off-Topic folk to all chip in and fund our own forum, aside from any commercial interests?

Fund a forum? Would cost almost nothing to rent a vps and have mostly textual traffic running through it. I thought you worked in IT? :P There's a lot of good open source forum scripts too.

I hate no-one - nor do I preach hate.

I am an adult and as such, can enjoy robust debate.

Sadly, places I can enjoy such debate are disappearing quicker than monkeys in Hartlepool.

The world just gets shittier every year...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb