House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reck B

Buying stuff from forum adverts

Buying stuff from forum adverts.  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever bought anything from an advert on HPC?

• Yes
    • No

I bought a Russian bride, but it was rubbish -- had to send it back.  (that reminds me -- I still have that credit-note)

The content IMHO is fine, and without us there woudn't be any.:blink:

I've had some whisky - and I'm getting the feeling I'm gonna get this thread locked by the brown-shirts...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

I'm sure I've clicked on ads before, can't say whether I've gone on to actually buy anything. I thought it was the clickthroughs that paid anyway, rather than tracking all the way through to sales?

4 minutes ago, Rave said:

I'm sure I've clicked on ads before, can't say whether I've gone on to actually buy anything. I thought it was the clickthroughs that paid anyway, rather than tracking all the way through to sales?

If the companies doing the advertising don't get any sales, they will eventually stop spending on more adverts. The logic behind a lot of the creepy tracking cookies these companies use is so they can track 'Rave clicked on an ad last Tuesday, and eventually went on to buy product X today' so they can see the connections even if they are not immediate.

A lot of people get paranoid about web tracking, but really all these companies just want to sell you more junk.
Instead of a 'do not track' setting in web browsers they should have an 'I don't have any money' setting - it would probably be far more effective.

18 minutes ago, Habeas Domus said:

If the companies doing the advertising don't get any sales, they will eventually stop spending on more adverts. The logic behind a lot of the creepy tracking cookies these companies use is so they can track 'Rave clicked on an ad last Tuesday, and eventually went on to buy product X today' so they can see the connections even if they are not immediate.

A lot of people get paranoid about web tracking, but really all these companies just want to sell you more junk.
Instead of a 'do not track' setting in web browsers they should have an 'I don't have any money' setting - it would probably be far more effective.

What about a "I live paycheque to paycheque and can't control my spending urges, come track me" option?

22 minutes ago, Habeas Domus said:

Right. To be honest I've never bothered with an adblocker as I don't find ads bothersome in the least*, and TBH, I do occasionally like buying stuff, as much as I'm risking being shunned by the HPC skinflinterati for saying that!

*Apart from that infuriating software that randomly turns words in forum posts into advert links to completely unrelated stuff. Which happily, this forum doesn't have.