House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turned Out Nice Again

Best cognac under 50 quid?

Used to work with a French bloke that was a food/wine/cognac conissuor.

He liked Frapin, though not sure if he had a preference for xo, vsop etc.  I just remember him raving about Frapin (it all tastes more or less the same to me)

I quite like Brandy, to the point it's pretty much all I drink spirits wise. I'll normally have a decent bottle on the go. 

Apart from the truly ruff stuff, I genuinely can't tell much difference between any of them, I've had a go of all the bigger brands when they have been on offer (even then still considerably more expensive than the shop premium brands), still can't see a lot of difference. 

Sainsbury's in particular do a decent range of their own premium ones which are very good. 

This is opposed to Whisky, which while I don't like it, I could see a progression in quality up the price chain (to a certain point at least, beyond which it becomes negligible). 

2 hours ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Was thinking more along the lines of a Remy Martin XO or 1738. 

Well, buy some if you like it and enjoy and don't think you're missing out/been ripped off.

Actually, a friend of mine is waiting for a special occasion to open a nice bottle of whiskey he has. I told him not to be so daft and the next time its vaguely appropriate and he's genuinely happy about something, THEN is exactly the moment he needs to open. Maybe being happy is a special occasion nowadays?

I once washed my clothes in Cognac.

In a laundrette near the town centre.?

I visited a few different houses whilst there where the history, tastes, aromas, aging processes etc. was explained.

I have to say that I would recommend Baron Otard VSOP would be my pick for under £50

On 25/03/2017 at 8:44 AM, Diver Dan said:

I visited a few different houses whilst there where the history, tastes, aromas, aging processes etc. was explained.

I have to say that I would recommend Baron Otard VSOP would be my pick for under £50

Thanks for the serious suggestion. I'm off to Waitrose for a Remy 1738 tomorrow to use as my baseline but I anticipate this will be a long quest.

On 25/03/2017 at 8:44 AM, Diver Dan said:

On 2nd thoughts, just ordered the Baron Otard from Amazon for 30 quid shipped - will report back.

3 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Oops! I've gone a bit mad. In addition to the Baron Otard (yet to arrive), I've acquired a Courvoisier VSOP, Remy 1738 and a wildcard Janneau 5yr old Armagnac.

Will have to have a comparative tasting session with some pals now.

YOLO!

****** 'em, good for you TONA.

On 3/28/2017 at 11:57 PM, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Oops! I've gone a bit mad. In addition to the Baron Otard (yet to arrive), I've acquired a Courvoisier VSOP, Remy 1738 and a wildcard Janneau 5yr old Armagnac.

Will have to have a comparative tasting session with some pals now.

Lovely stuff. I very rarely stray away from single malts, but I can make an exception for that.