House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saving For a Space Ship

Dodgy Food Practices - Bit of a Worry

18 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Just watched this :o 

Farmed Norwegian Salmon - World’s Most Toxic Food

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH6wH1dqbwc

I wouldn't eat any farmed fish, for the toxins and because for the considerable environmental damage too, not just on the sea bed under the cages, but in the consequences of harvesting fish to feed the famed fish. It is an inefficient way for producing fish. farmed fish excepted, fish is a wild food and should command a much higher price in western society, this would help curtail overfishing and so there would be less call for farming.

On 24/03/2017 at 2:35 PM, One-percent said:

It's the texture of farmed salmon that puts me off. Fatty and flabby. Nothing at all like its wild counterpart. 

Indeed, try Alaskan Wild Salmon and it is nothing like the farmed stuff. Only trouble is it is about 3 times the price.

3 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Indeed, try Alaskan Wild Salmon and it is nothing like the farmed stuff. Only trouble is it is about 3 times the price.

It can occasionally be found In Morrisons smoked. Very good and about the same price as the other carp.  I've not seen it for a while though 

even better is that caught in our waters, if you can get it. 

3 minutes ago, One-percent said:

It can occasionally be found In Morrisons smoked. Very good and about the same price as the other carp.  I've not seen it for a while though 

even better is that caught in our waters, if you can get it. 

Indeed, but I reckon the Scots keep the best for themselves, so zero chance of getting it down South,.

12 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Indeed, but I reckon the Scots keep the best for themselves, so zero chance of getting it down South,.

I lived in North Yorkshire and the river was a fantastic salmon river.  The story of how salmon migrate is incredible.

6 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

This is hanging up in the Horseshoe Hotel at Egton Bridge. It is huge. Yet the river seems so shallow.

Bottom_Horseshoe_Egton_Salmon.jpg

It's a very good salmon river. At ruswarp further down stream there is a weir then a water extraction plant. Alongside is a man made salmon leap so that they can get up to their spawning ground.  

The local 'lads' used to,go out poaching the salmon  :)

On a similar and more worrying note:

Because of soil depletion, crops grown decades ago were much richer in vitamins and minerals than the varieties most of us get today - Scientific American

So some foods containing magnesium, a vital mineral in controlling muscle tension, including that of the smooth muscle surrounding arteries, have seen their Mg content fall by greater than 80%.

So even if you are eating a diet that would once have been considered magnesium rich (veg, some nuts etc), your route to achieving an RDA naturally is fast disappearing. If you are eating processed foods it's pretty much guaranteed you will be Mg deficient.

A lack of magnesium, associated with muscle cramps, also has a direct affect on vasoconstriction: without magnesium you are unable to relax the smooth muscle that lines your arteries, leading to hypertension, a condition you are unlikely to notice unless looked for. Untreated hypertension is the number one killer in the US.

On 3/26/2017 at 6:59 PM, Sledgehead said:

A lack of magnesium, associated with muscle cramps, also has a direct affect on vasoconstriction: without magnesium you are unable to relax the smooth muscle that lines your arteries, leading to hypertension, a condition you are unlikely to notice unless looked for. Untreated hypertension is the number one killer in the US.

That's a pretty weaselly paragraph, shame on you. Yes, lack of magnesium could cause hypertension, but the hypertension that is killing Americans is caused by obesity, not magnesium deficiency.

12 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

This is one of my pet "future problems".

Once farm surpluses could be traded far and wide, depletion over the centuries is inevitable with unknown consequences. Ditto sewage systems. Bazalgette - you're not looking quite so clever now are you son!

I've been thinking of ways to market soil nutrients to the gullible. Not for the plants but for human trace elements etc.

My wife did her research masters on beefing up marine algae and extracting goodies from it. I keep telling her she should do a PhD

7 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

My wife did her research masters on beefing up marine algae and extracting goodies from it. I keep telling her she should do a PhD

Loads of small-scale interest in farming phytoplankton, but personally, I doubt it will go anywhere as farming phytoplankton will cause an artificial phytoplankton and you'll have water quality issues too re pollutants. Much healthier is to eat primary consumers such as mussels or oysters, or secondary consumers like sardines, but the latter is less sustainable. Become a shellfish farmer. No inputs other than spat and labour.

Somewhat related, seeing more and more....... Fruit and veg sold as several pieces in one unit, like a net of lemons or a punnet of tomatoes, one or two or a few will be rotting or older stock than the rest....Dodgy.;)