Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cosmic Apple

B+E Driving/Trailer Test

Recommended Posts

Anyone done one and if so, did you 'DIY' it or go through one of the training schools?

Can't seem to find much information on line about applying for the test and sitting it in your own car, only people wanting to sell courses.

Looks easy enough on the YouTube videos. My manoeuvring skills I picked up as a teen on the farm may be a bit rusty now but I'm sure it will come back.

My only dilemma is that the trailer I want to get, and the reason for the test, means my total plated weight would be more than the 3.5T max train weight for a B licence. Even if the trailer is empty its a no no. So I'd have to rent a box trailer and get the ballast to do the test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started a similar thread about 18 months ago...

Probably one of the best tips I can give you, is to line up the side of towing truck with the side of the trailer, whilst reversing (part of the test)...you'll find that the towhitch should pretty much line up bang on...I went with a school that provided a trailer with a 600kg canister of water in it...

...and dont walk over the a-frame...Instant failure...Walk around the trailer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

whilst reversing (part of the test)...you'll find that the towhitch should pretty much line up bang on...I went with a school that provided a trailer with a 600kg canister of water in it...

...and dont walk over the a-frame...Instant failure...Walk around the trailer...

Oh that bits easy (or it was when I used to do it), used to get them 95% of the time where they'd drop straight on the hitch. Just hope I can still do it :)

How much did it set you back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Northern Welsh Midlander said:

Oh that bits easy (or it was when I used to do it), used to get them 95% of the time where they'd drop straight on the hitch. Just hope I can still do it :)

How much did it set you back?

I didn't, it was the business I work for did...It was a two day course, with the test on the afternoon of the second day.

You have to couple and decouple the trailer, without moving the trailer.  You also have to reverse around a cone, and into a box

Image result for be test reverse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, interestrateripoff said:

Amazing how they managed to give these out for free, I can hook a trailer up with zero experience and other people need to pass a test.

It depends when you passed your test.  If I'd had past my driving test about six months earlier, I could have driven a trailer already and even up to a 7.5t HGV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the dates ? 

Looked at my license and i can drive a biggish looking truck WITH a trailer never mind just a car. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was 94 made it by a few years. Not that i have a trailer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ccc said:

I was 94 made it by a few years. Not that i have a trailer.

I would never have put you at that age ccc from the exploits you describe on here. Respect. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, One-percent said:

I would never have put you at that age ccc from the exploits you describe on here. Respect. :)

The bevvy and rest of it ? I'm only 39 !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ccc said:

94 i got the licence :)

Jeez you thought i was 23 :huh::lol:

You wish. I was tongue in cheek but initially read it as you could be claiming to be 94. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that's probably closer to my physical age. My mental age however is about 13.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I passed my driving-test in 1989.

I'd taken it because the manager of the workshop-based job I had with a fruit-machine and video-game distributor at the time told us the place would close in six months.

I would stand more chance of getting another job in the industry if I could drive - as most jobs were field-servicing at amusement arcades and bingo-halls.

Sure enough, I got such a job just before the redundancies were announced.

I'd only been there a few months when they told me I'd have to drive some new machines to a bingo-hall and install them.

"What, in the back of a Fiesta...?" was my reply.

"No, In the back of that (three-and-a-half-ton) truck"...!

I'd been driving a car less than a year, and I shit myself all the way from the depot in Washington to the bingo in Easington Colliery.

And they never even gave me a tartan-shirt or a Yorkie bar....

 

XYY

                                                                                                               

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my driving licence in the late 70s, and I am allowed a 7 tonne van. I've only hired one twice, but judging by the dents in it, some people are not good at this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

I passed my driving-test in 1989.

I'd taken it because the manager of the workshop-based job I had with a fruit-machine and video-game distributor at the time told us the place would close in six months.

I would stand more chance of getting another job in the industry if I could drive - as most jobs were field-servicing at amusement arcades and bingo-halls.

Sure enough, I got such a job just before the redundancies were announced.

I'd only been there a few months when they told me I'd have to drive some new machines to a bingo-hall and install them.

"What, in the back of a Fiesta...?" was my reply.

"No, In the back of that (three-and-a-half-ton) truck"...!

I'd been driving a car less than a year, and I shit myself all the way from the depot in Washington to the bingo in Easington Colliery.

And they never even gave me a tartan-shirt or a Yorkie bar....

 

XYY

                                                                                                               

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

 

My first ever solo drive after passing my driving test was driving a fully laden 3 and half tonner....Much poo came out...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

My first ever solo drive after passing my driving test was driving a fully laden 3 and half tonner....Much poo came out...

The cobbled back-street behind the primary school that was adjacent to the bingo-hall had me cacking my pants the most - I had to reverse up that to the delivery doors at the back of the bingo.

How half-a-dozen bairns weren't wiped-out that afternoon was as a case of much more luck than judgment...!

 

XYY

                                                                                                               

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see you Beansy mate - thought you'd gone walkabout a while back...?

 

 

XYY

                                                                                                               

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Nice to see you Beansy mate - thought you'd gone walkabout a while back...?

 

 

XYY

                                                                                                               

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

Quite possibly whilst in one of my drunken stupors...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Quite possibly whilst in one of my drunken stupors...

Are you pouring lager on your waffles in the picture?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dave Beans said:

Its Absinthe..

That's perfectly normal then.:blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrPin said:

That's perfectly normal then.:blink:

It is...I normally pour it over Herring...Lovely combination...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   26 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.