House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ash4781

'Smart' Lighting

Has anyone gone down the route of smart lighting integration?  I have been looking at the Philips Hue setup but the kits are very expensive and don't appear simple to setup e.g. the lightstrip is £70 plus you need the hub / bridge to your network  which then connects to your phone / computer / Alexa/ Google home/ whatever (why you need a Philips hub I do not know). Then there are dimmer switches to add to the system but these can apparently pair directly to the bulbs and the lightstrips. Is it just early days so is a mess of different standards / protocols ? I am quite tempted to look at this because I switched the house to LED's but hav no dimmer switchses

I'm a time-served electrician who has to fix this crap when it goes wrong.

My own house still has standard light switches, with retrofit LEDs in the standard fittings. Oh there's a dimmer in the kitchen :lol:

1 hour ago, chronyx said:

My own house still has standard light switches, with retrofit LEDs in the standard fittings. Oh there's a dimmer in the kitchen :lol:

I looked at the Philips hue bulbs on the net, just out of curiosity. It seemed to me that they were as dim as feck.

I've just fitted 15W LED bulbs (100W equivalent, 2700k) all around the house. Not the most economical 100w equivalents as I think you can now get 13.5W bulbs, but at just £4.00 each from Morrisons they are great and much better than the CFLs they replaced.

I looked at this stuff a few years back by reading loads of reviews on Amazon. Lots of good info that basically put me off. Also learnt that this stuff regularly has big discounts on Amazon so best to time when one of the sales is on.

8 hours ago, Riedquat said:

The advantages over standard light switches strike me as very negligable, what's the point?

9 hours ago, chronyx said:

My understanding is the existing light switches all remain so it's another layer of complexity- eg. voice / phone control / wireless dimmer on the wall.  I am baffled why one would want to control lights from elsewhere in the world or be that bothered to change the light colour from red to blue.

I don't have kitchen underlights, and thought the Philips lightplus would be ideal. However, out of the box I think they are binary on or off, and it's 1600lumens across the 2m strip! It seems I'd need to add a hub, motion sensor and then programme the thing. I like the idea of running the kitchen underlights off a motion sensor but as I mentioned previously it seems like a lot of faffing around for not much real gain. 

It's easier never to turn the lights off. :)

Kitchen, hall and bathroom lights are always on here. All cfls so minimal leccy spend, less than a quid a week and I enjoy the convenience.

13 hours ago, LiveinHope said:

I looked at the Philips hue bulbs on the net, just out of curiosity. It seemed to me that they were as dim as feck.

I've just fitted 15W LED bulbs (100W equivalent, 2700k) all around the house. Not the most economical 100w equivalents as I think you can now get 13.5W bulbs, but at just £4.00 each from Morrisons they are great and much better than the CFLs they replaced.

Whether a lamp is good value for money, or not, depends a great deal on how long it lasts.

16 hours ago, chronyx said:

^^ What he says.

1 hour ago, John51 said:

It's easier never to turn the lights off. :)

Kitchen, hall and bathroom lights are always on here. All cfls so minimal leccy spend, less than a quid a week and I enjoy the convenience.

CFLs are horrible things. I've got a mixture of incandescent and LED, with (usually) replacing the incandescents with LEDs when they go. LED lights are great, and this is me saying that about something modern!

LED lighting is fine, but I still prefer my oil lamps!

10 minutes ago, MrPin said:

LED lighting is fine, but I still prefer my oil lamps!

LEd is excellent. Like coming out of the dark ages changing from CFLs.

I'm contemplating adding motion sensors to switch lighting on in the loos, there are/will be children who can't reach the switches and tbh whatever time of day or season it is, the lights are used as the window looks out on a wall so it is perpetually gloomy.

Suspect the faff of installing the sensors will mean it stays on the 'to do' list for a while, maybe forever.

17 hours ago, chronyx said:

"Let's get this straight" as David Mitchell would say on WILTY: switching your lights with a protocol-over-power-network or wirelessly is a wonderful idea for any newbuild or complete rewire IF you require a complicated switching arrangement.

The ability to treat light sockets (which would normally be switched elsewhere) as if they were power sockets (normally switched at the socket)  simplifies wiring almost immeasurably when you require a light to be switched from more than two places. Even switching landing lights in this way can cut cabling and cabling runs at least in half. Moreover, switching at the fixture gives you the ultimate in switching flexibility. Want to turn the drive lights on from the garage when you only had a switch in the hall? Not an issue, and something that can be done in seconds

And that right there should be how the new tech is used.

But what are we actually being sold?

A separate hub to which we must connect our lights. Why aren't we able to use a simple ethernet switch?

A need to port forward the address of such switches (as far as i understand), exposing them to port scanning.

A need to control the lights through a web interface and server run remotely (as far as I understand), so that we can synch our lighting to "the voice" of all things, exposing us to remote attacks (hands up who thinks philips care how IoT stuff can compromise your entire network).

Why?

What are they actually selling? Lighting or our details?

My brother has hue but, I suspect like many, not a scooby-doo what it is.

He struggled to get it to work. Without the hub.

Then my nephew had him tearing his hair out wondering why his lights were playing up, simply because a millenial knows there's an app for everything and was turning his £1k set up on and off from his smartphone (I believe he saw the funny side in the end).

What it promised was cheaper and more flexible installations. What it's delivering is gimmicks and vulnerabilities.

5 hours ago, happy_renting said:

Whether a lamp is good value for money, or not, depends a great deal on how long it lasts.

True, but my Morrison's CFLs that I bought when they first came out proved OK, so I have hopes. The LEDs are well made, for sure.

16 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

Then my nephew had him tearing his hair out wondering why his lights were playing up, simply because a millenial knows there's an app for everything and was turning his £1k set up on and off from his smartphone (I believe he saw the funny side in the end).

What it promised was cheaper and more flexible installations. What it's delivering is gimmicks and vulnerabilities.

-----

On 17/03/2017 at 7:24 AM, 200p said:

Imagine you are in your prime years. Your modern lights won't turn on because the app hasn't updated to the latest ad beware, and the server is down. Grrrrr!

You fume! You just want to have a cup of tea and read the Sunday news paper, but you can't as it's dark. It's time find that old <Insert old candle> that you owned 30 years ago. It costs £5K for a mint one these days! Well, you only live once, you light the last one in the box. You light it and stand it up. You look over that warm comfortable looking glow of the flames, it's like returning home. It smells just like you remember it too, the sooty carbon burning off, the lick of the flame. You take a good look at it - it's so simple. It's just wax, a wick, and an inorexable burning flame, casting a warm light into a dark room. You put your feet up and turn the page of the newspaper. The first article reads "New Kettle Controlled by your smart phone!" You laugh and turn the page.

How much would pay for that experience?

altered from the old nostalgic car thread

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/229429-its-not-just-housesits-not-just-us/&do=findComment&comment=1103209900

On 3/23/2017 at 2:00 PM, Riedquat said:

CFLs are horrible things. I've got a mixture of incandescent and LED, with (usually) replacing the incandescents with LEDs when they go. LED lights are great, and this is me saying that about something modern!

For ordinary usage, I'd agree but ime cfls last a lot longer than leds when left running 24/7. 

I just purchased (only yesterday) a couple of Xiaomi Yeelight RGBW E27 Smart LED Bulb off of Gearbest (China).

They don't need a bridge or a hue or any other intermediate link and are reputed to work directly from Smart phones and alexa echo/dot. I shall be exploring the echo/dot functionality....

At under £14 a bulb I thought it was worth a punt to see if the tech is any good........

As for the I would never but anything from China doomers, I do so all the time with no problems. Last August bought a couple of redmi note 3 phones <£115 each delivered. Same spec as high end samsungs and iphones at a fraction of the price. One of the best purchases I have ever made.

13 hours ago, geezer466 said:

I just purchased (only yesterday) a couple of Xiaomi Yeelight RGBW E27 Smart LED Bulb off of Gearbest (China).

They don't need a bridge or a hue or any other intermediate link and are reputed to work directly from Smart phones and alexa echo/dot. I shall be exploring the echo/dot functionality....

At under £14 a bulb I thought it was worth a punt to see if the tech is any good........

As for the I would never but anything from China doomers, I do so all the time with no problems. Last August bought a couple of redmi note 3 phones <£115 each delivered. Same spec as high end samsungs and iphones at a fraction of the price. One of the best purchases I have ever made.

I rather think you are missing the point.

Some of us are more concerned with security than value for money.

Any idiot can implement IoT. Whether you can then avoid being part of a botnet that performs DDoS attacks on high profile targets, or just scans your own LAN for bank details etc is quite another thing.

When you say you are testing it out to see whether the tech is any good, what do you mean? What tools are you going to use?