House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Helpful, intrusive, or frightening?

Microsoft applications, including Skype and Microsoft Calendar have started to be "really helpful" :(. For example, Skype sent my wife a reminder of my birthday (not today) and Microsoft Calendar is reminding me of all sorts of things that I have not requested nor was even aware they knew about.

It seems like "Big Brother" is collecting all sorts of information about our daily lives.

I find it intrusive and frightening.

My PC version of Skype wants to flipping update every other day. I install the new version and it always tries to change my homepage and search engines to MS ones, plus it tries to grab any contacts I have. Just an enormous bit of spyware.

23 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Skype sent my wife a reminder of my birthday (not today)

I think you need to have a word with your wife and find out who's birthday she needs reminding about.

I uninstalled Skype a while ago due to too much "We'll do what we want, not what you want" on its part. Updating and starting up automatically even when I'd turned off every possible setting I could find was the last straw. So yes, intrusive and frightening, although not as frightening as the large number of people who appear to be quite happy to embrace this sort of thing (watch out for idiots who expect you to justify your dislike of it). In my case it's not so much that I fear misuse but simply because it all completely fails the "my computer, it should only be doing what I want when I want, and mind your own ****ing business."

If you want personal records keep them on paper, if they must go anywhere near anything involving Microsoft or Google then definitely don't store them in the software, what few I do keep on the computer are generally just in text files I look up when needed.

10 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

I uninstalled Skype a while ago due to too much "We'll do what we want, not what you want" on its part. Updating and starting up automatically even when I'd turned off every possible setting I could find was the last straw. So yes, intrusive and frightening, although not as frightening as the large number of people who appear to be quite happy to embrace this sort of thing (watch out for idiots who expect you to justify your dislike of it). In my case it's not so much that I fear misuse but simply because it all completely fails the "my computer, it should only be doing what I want when I want, and mind your own ****ing business."

If you want personal records keep them on paper, if they must go anywhere near anything involving Microsoft or Google then definitely don't store them in the software, what few I do keep on the computer are generally just in text files I look up when needed.

Me too, and needless to say, I don't store anything in the default Microsoft folders for files, downloads, pictures etc.

46 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Me too, and needless to say, I don't store anything in the default Microsoft folders for files, downloads, pictures etc.

Neither do I (other than with some games which make it a royal PITA to save anywhere else), although I never have done even before they started getting so nosey - I've just never seen the point.