House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trampa501

Ever sold ice cream?

Maybe you've done it from a van or kiosk, or maybe you've worked in a shop where they sell it.

Any tips? Specifically - do you need to keep a storage freezer as well as a display one? We're thinking of selling ice creams from our shop, although the space required for freezers may be an issue.

I haven't but my next door neighbours used to run two ice cream cafes on a beach. They made a fortune from ice cream but, so they told me, apparently the money was in the up-market stuff rather than the cheaper brands. They got some organic stuff from Cornwall but then moved over to some Welsh posh ice cream supplies once they got started up as people would pay more for what they perceived as local produce.

Posh ice cream is a big money spinner in this part of the world - several places make an absolute fortune. All supposedly making their own or buying in from local suppliers. Some of the cafes have huge turn-over and have their own storage but one place, which seems very lucrative, works on a basis of they make it, stick it in their display freezer and once it is gone it is gone. If you ask "Have you any more of the coconut/whatever?" the response is always no as what they have on display is what they have until they make some more.

I would have thought that local environmental health trading rules would be a huge factor though?

I used to stand with a tray of ice cream tubs in my local theatre in the interval.  Advice would be to not turn up too early or else it will melt.

im guessing that this isn't the experience and advice you are looking for though. :)

Just now, One-percent said:

I used to stand with a tray of ice cream tubs in my local theatre in the interval.  Advice would be to not turn up too early or else it will melt.

im guessing that this isn't the experience and advice you are looking for though. :)

Didn't the theatre management get p*ssed off with you doing this?

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

Didn't the theatre management get p*ssed off with you doing this?

Oh yeah, that's the other piece of advice; wear trainers and have the ability to run fast. ;)

1 hour ago, One-percent said:

11 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I haven't but my next door neighbours used to run two ice cream cafes on a beach. They made a fortune from ice cream but, so they told me, apparently the money was in the up-market stuff rather than the cheaper brands. They got some organic stuff from Cornwall but then moved over to some Welsh posh ice cream supplies once they got started up as people would pay more for what they perceived as local produce.

Posh ice cream is a big money spinner in this part of the world - several places make an absolute fortune. All supposedly making their own or buying in from local suppliers. Some of the cafes have huge turn-over and have their own storage but one place, which seems very lucrative, works on a basis of they make it, stick it in their display freezer and once it is gone it is gone. If you ask "Have you any more of the coconut/whatever?" the response is always no as what they have on display is what they have until they make some more.

I would have thought that local environmental health trading rules would be a huge factor though?

Good feedback, thanks

It is indeed posh ice cream (+frozen yoghurts) we are looking at. 

My brother-in-law's family had an ice cream van as part of their mini food empire. I actually am led to understand that is is quite an ugly business with turf wars breaking out - I think tighter licensing has now fixed this issue.

33 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

My brother-in-law's family had an ice cream van as part of their mini food empire. I actually am led to understand that is is quite an ugly business with turf wars breaking out - I think tighter licensing has now fixed this issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Ice_Cream_Wars

Dangerous occupation in those days. The most profitable business (capital invested and overhead versus takings) I know of in my own town is a small retail site selling old-fashioned sweets and upmarket ice-cream.

3 hours ago, Trampa501 said:

Good feedback, thanks

It is indeed posh ice cream (+frozen yoghurts) we are looking at. 

If you serving ice creams just bear in mind you are serving open high risk food so food hygiene is paramount.

15 hours ago, Trampa501 said:

Maybe you've done it from a van or kiosk, or maybe you've worked in a shop where they sell it.

Any tips? Specifically - do you need to keep a storage freezer as well as a display one? We're thinking of selling ice creams from our shop, although the space required for freezers may be an issue.

I'd go down to a seaside town and have a good chat to a number of shops/sellers there, friendly like.  Point out you are from 50 miles away and interested in how they are successful.  Most people like to preen.

11 hours ago, juvenal said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Ice_Cream_Wars

Dangerous occupation in those days. The most profitable business (capital invested and overhead versus takings) I know of in my own town is a small retail site selling old-fashioned sweets and upmarket ice-cream.

When I was growing up in the (slightly more) civilised part of Central Scotland, ice cream vans seemed to be a front for all sorts of dubious transactions, from single cigarettes for the kids to a veritable cornucopia of illegal drugs.

A great service to society, I'm sure you'll agree. However this may also explain the gangland connections...