Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChewingGrass

Swindon

Recommended Posts

Swindon has the highest levels of flashers and peeping toms in the country with 94 cases of people exposing themselves or spying on others in the town in the 12 months up to and including September 2016. Roughly one person in every 2,310 people living in Swindon displays this sort of perverted behaviour which is three times higher than the national average.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pervert-capital-uk-revealed-highest-10066159

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lived in Gloucester for a while and noticed that there was a distinct patterning to the local crimes:

Birmingham: shootings, usually drug related

Gloucester, Cheltenham: muggings

Swindon: sex crimes, as per the OP

It was strange, but it happened time and again. Tell me the crime and I would know where it happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lived in Swindon for several years, don't specifically recall crimes of that nature but the general feeling was one of a town which had lost its identity, to the point where it couldn't remember what it was either. Also felt like the place where marriages regularly died, again might be biased.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swindon turned into a commuter town for London so became just another soulless place that provides drones to the capital. Wouldn't surprise me if it had a high failure rate re marriages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only reason I've ever had to visit is from having a shop there but consequently know the retail landscape there fairly well very strange disjointed place part Milton Keynes and part generic M4 corridor commuter town. Last time I went I seem to think all the staff there were EE migrants so the racist part of me wonders if there's some link there to the peeping tom/flashing stats.

I would say, in general, a bypass, or a motorway junction nearby has been the death knell of community spirit across the country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I lived in Gloucester for a while and noticed that there was a distinct patterning to the local crimes:

Birmingham: shootings, usually drug related

Gloucester, Cheltenham: muggings

Swindon: sex crimes, as per the OP

25 Cromwell Street: Dead tenants buried in the back-yard...

 

 

XYY

                                                                                                               

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I lived in Gloucester for a while and noticed that there was a distinct patterning to the local crimes:

Birmingham: shootings, usually drug related

Gloucester, Cheltenham: muggings

Swindon: sex crimes, as per the OP

It was strange, but it happened time and again. Tell me the crime and I would know where it happened.

Are you in a flotation tank like the precogs in Minority Report?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SNACR said:

Are you in a flotation tank like the precogs in Minority Report?

It was very noticeable there but without any obvious reason.

The only patterning I've noticed in the SW is that if there is a particularly nasty crime, say involving torture, then it will often be in Weston Super Mare.  

This however is explicable as such crimes are usually carried out by heavy drug users of which there are many in Weston owing to the huge housing sprawl around it combined with a lack of facilities. Cheap housing for the area means the council dumps their problem cases there.

Weston sea front / town centre is a nice place to visit, it's the sprawling housing estates where the problems lurk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frank! Are you the tourist information centre for Weston?:blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

Okay, I've got one for you.

"Person missing after not returning from a night out in city centre....."

 

I could only do it in the South West Midlands!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Frank! Are you the tourist information centre for Weston?:blink:

It's a fine place to visit in the centre. It's like London, Trafalgar Square and suchlike are very nice but you don't take a midnight stroll around a Stockwell housing estate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SNACR said:

Only reason I've ever had to visit is from having a shop there but consequently know the retail landscape there fairly well very strange disjointed place part Milton Keynes and part generic M4 corridor commuter town. Last time I went I seem to think all the staff there were EE migrants so the racist part of me wonders if there's some link there to the peeping tom/flashing stats.

I would say, in general, a bypass, or a motorway junction nearby has been the death knell of community spirit across the country.

Racist or xenophobic?

The police record men urinating in public as flashing now. May be related.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gloucester always looked a bit rough to me. 

Cheltenham is very different . It's as much more money but even so at freshers fair we was told not to go near the housing estate near gchq

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've often been surprised at quite how rough some places can be. I've been to a few seriously expensive commuter-belt towns that have a definate 'vibe' to them. It's also telling when massive doormen suddenly appear mid evening outside the wanky gastropubs.

Also, outside tourist season, some scenic towns could be surprisingly punchy. I've been told that some touristy areas of the Lake District can be like this though I've not seen it myself. I can confirm it happens in the Cotswolds though, it wasn't particularly uncommon to see feuding family's or gyppos having punch ups in some twee little hamlet somewhere once all of the tourists have gone home.

Just one of the many reasons I think anyone dropping the amounts of cash it costs to live in these places, are certifiably mental.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SNACR said:

Only reason I've ever had to visit is from having a shop there but consequently know the retail landscape there fairly well very strange disjointed place part Milton Keynes and part generic M4 corridor commuter town. Last time I went I seem to think all the staff there were EE migrants so the racist part of me wonders if there's some link there to the peeping tom/flashing stats.

I would say, in general, a bypass, or a motorway junction nearby has been the death knell of community spirit across the country.

I'd guess there's lot of single blokes who've ended up there.

Swindon is not somewhere yo''d want to bring up a family.

You have the whole M4 corridor tech thing, which draw in a lot of single males.

The lower paid ended up living in Swindon, with loads of other single men. Hardly somewhere to go out and pull women - even if you a more outgoing person than the average low paid tech body.

Ive pointed out in the Thames Valley section that the whole M4 corridor thing is dead now.

You cannot get highly paid people to move to places like Bracknell, Reading an the like. Swindon was always out on a limb, even when there was work. Companies are smaller. HP, Intel, MS are all shrinking.

The only place that stand any chance of surviving in a much reduce form is the area around Reading rtain station. Otherwise the ocngestiuon is too bad that using a car is a no go for most areas.

Bracknell having a lot of industrial estates converted into future slums. Ditto Bstoke.

A walk around Reading does not feel like a 'thriving town' More 3rd world these days.

I dont comment of Thames valley bit. There's a few who still think everyone in the M4 corridor are high earneing techies. They are not. Place is full of immigrants and single parents and dossers. More so than it ever was.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I've often been surprised at quite how rough some places can be. I've been to a few seriously expensive commuter-belt towns that have a definate 'vibe' to them. It's also telling when massive doormen suddenly appear mid evening outside the wanky gastropubs.

Also, outside tourist season, some scenic towns could be surprisingly punchy. I've been told that some touristy areas of the Lake District can be like this though I've not seen it myself. I can confirm it happens in the Cotswolds though, it wasn't particularly uncommon to see feuding family's or gyppos having punch ups in some twee little hamlet somewhere once all of the tourists have gone home.

Just one of the many reasons I think anyone dropping the amounts of cash it costs to live in these places, are certifiably mental.

A relative used to regale me with the realities of living in Chipping Norton, plenty of violence and base level thievery going on, eg someone drilled his car's petrol tank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drilling a petrol tank

I heard people have had that done here in Worcestershire.  Seems dangerous to me

I heard people who have had there cats stolen off cars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Knimbies who say No said:

A relative used to regale me with the realities of living in Chipping Norton, plenty of violence and base level thievery going on, eg someone drilled his car's petrol tank.

Yeah Chippy, I know it very well and none of that surprises me really. It had a reputation locally for being a bit..ah..'rare', shall we say; which was surprising as the papers liked to make it out as if it were England's Beverly Hills. Nothing could be further from the truth to be honest.

I personally found the place insignificant, pretentious, quite in-your-face unfriendly and full of those shops run by Harry Enfield who 'saw you coming'. It did also have a surprisingly high petty crime rate and more than its fair share of scum. A lot off this could be explained by 'pepperpotting', a scheme that councils used to deal with really troublesome tenants. Essentially they would farm them out to 'nice' rural areas in the hope that they remain isolated and keep out of trouble.

In reality what happens is the same as putting the bad kid in a class and hoping the rest influence his behaviour. Doesn't happen, he just f*cks it up for everyone else around him. Chippy was full of these people. 

In the same vein, just before we left we went to have a look around a relatively new estate to see what was on offer. Nice new semis, nothing particular to write home about, going for a shade under half a million.

That wasn't particularly unusual however the fact that half the estate appeared to have been used to rehouse everyone's favourite itinerant caravan dwellers was a bit of an eye opener.

 

Half a bar to live on a f*cking campsite?

No thanks.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Norwich in 6th place on that list. Doesn't surprise me tbh as there are quite a few oddballs frequenting the city centre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Yeah Chippy, I know it very well and none of that surprises me really. It had a reputation locally for being a bit..ah..'rare', shall we say; which was surprising as the papers liked to make it out as if it were England's Beverly Hills. Nothing could be further from the truth to be honest.

I personally found the place insignificant, pretentious, quite in-your-face unfriendly and full of those shops run by Harry Enfield who 'saw you coming'. It did also have a surprisingly high petty crime rate and more than its fair share of scum. A lot off this could be explained by 'pepperpotting', a scheme that councils used to deal with really troublesome tenants. Essentially they would farm them out to 'nice' rural areas in the hope that they remain isolated and keep out of trouble.

In reality what happens is the same as putting the bad kid in a class and hoping the rest influence his behaviour. Doesn't happen, he just f*cks it up for everyone else around him. Chippy was full of these people. 

In the same vein, just before we left we went to have a look around a relatively new estate to see what was on offer. Nice new semis, nothing particular to write home about, going for a shade under half a million.

That wasn't particularly unusual however the fact that half the estate appeared to have been used to rehouse everyone's favourite itinerant caravan dwellers was a bit of an eye opener.

 

Half a bar to live on a f*cking campsite?

No thanks.

 

 

Ha, you sound like my relative. They left a couple of years ago and didn't look back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hotairmail said:

That's not bad. You're right, it's not in the south west midlands. :rolleyes:

Manchester - it's always the Canal Pusher's fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Through knowing a mentallt disabled friend parts of Bath has become a dumping for violent, delusional nutcases in supervised accommodation.

Bristol is supposedly the nicest city in the UK, but parts of it are abject dumps and ghettos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:41 PM, The Masked Tulip said:

Swindon turned into a commuter town for London so became just another soulless place that provides drones to the capital. Wouldn't surprise me if it had a high failure rate re marriages.

Yes I have used it to commute to London. never again as the bridge from the station to the car park on the other side of the tracks closed early in the evening which meant that when we arrived back on the last train it was a long (over a mile I reckon) walk in unlit route with which we were not familiar. I am surprised if this had not become a regular target for crime as vulnerable people must regularly be caught out in this way. Planning madness!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Next General Election   90 members have voted

    1. 1. When do you predict the next general election will be held?


      • 2019
      • 2020
      • 2021
      • 2022

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.