House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

How many HPC members have contacted their MP, other politicians about the housing crisis?

I'm just curious how active other members are in voicing their opinions about the housing crisis and their own personal situation to their MP or other politicians? Do you think it can have an effect? Have any of you received a personal response to an email or letter regarding the situation? 

I think one of the reasons why there is not more in the press is because renters tend to not really make their voice heard and we are pretty disorganised. There are hundreds of us on this website and so many really articulate and knowledgeable posters. Surely there must be some better way of getting our opinions heard and working together? You have to admire the Property 118 guys for being really good organisers in terms of their campaigns and letter writing.

I've got some fairly long mail trails from conversations with my old lib dem MP, who fortunately got booted out in the last GE. His responses could generally be categorised under "Thanks for your concern, your opinion really is very important to us, but we've got your back with HTB / FLS / QE / NIRP so don't worry your pretty little head about it".

Any sustained communication from me was met with govt official lines before I politely got told to ****** off and stop bothering him.

Not a waste of time though - at the end of the day an MPs primary concern is to get voted in again, so if their policies are turning the electorate off, they need to hear it, otherwise we can hardly blame them for thinking everything is rosy.

What's the point. Every western 'democracy' in the world has followed almost the exact same path regardless of who has been voted in.  

1 hour ago, fru-gal said:

I think one of the reasons why there is not more in the press is because renters tend to not really make their voice heard and we are pretty disorganised. There are hundreds of us on this website and so many really articulate and knowledgeable posters. Surely there must be some better way of getting our opinions heard and working together? You have to admire the Property 118 guys for being really good organisers in terms of their campaigns and letter writing.

This is actually an excellent point, and the same question has also occurred to me, because one of the reasons that I am attracted to this site is the fact that it is, in its essence, honest. It tells the truth, and that resonates with me.

Which brings to mind that line they said in "The Big Short", The Truth is like Poetry, and most people f******g hate poetry.

Which makes you think we have a disadvantage over the Property 118 guys, because they are selling both themselves and the wider public and their MPs a pack of lies.

But on the subject of propagating our theme more widely, I have two ideas:

(1) we need at least one by preferably two influential financial journalists come and visit this site on a semi-regular basis. Read us, challenge us, interact with us, and write about us.

(2) We need at least one political party to be half-supportive, even in the most lukewarm way, of our point of view. There ARE votes there in challenging the HPI lunacy, especially amongst the young, and some aspiring politicians need to pick up on it.

But how to get (1) and (2) to happen ? I am afraid that I am bereft of good ideas.

Wrote to HM Treasury in 2015 outlining my support for Section 24.   The same contact at HM Treasury as the BTLers were protesting to. 

1 hour ago, fru-gal said:

You have to admire the Property 118 guys for being really good organisers in terms of their campaigns and letter writing.

Until Section24 most BTLers never had to think political.   In the weeks following announcement of Section 24, many of the BTLers were bragging about how they never followed politics.  That they stay out of politics and wanted politics to leave them alone.   Some HPCers pointed out that was one reason the BTLers had totally underestimated a political risk to their positions in BTL and 'Generation Rent Forever' thinking, with move of Section24.

Admire the BTLers organisation with campaigns and letter writing?   2 years of it and no turn at all on Section24.  The BTLers are up against the same 'don't want to know' as renters were up against in foreverHPI against the tilt of HPIers/BTLers.   Realities taken over, including HMRC's need for revenue.

Have you ever seen the movie ‘Alien’ George? You know, the old one with Sigorney Weaver. Where those aliens implant themselves in the chests of their human hosts? They have a gestation period, before they violently explode out of their hosts lungs and smash their way out through the rib cage. Obviously they kill off the host in the process and make a right old mess. It looks rather painful too.

Well that’s how I visualize Section 24 George. You’ve created and planted this Alien thing called Section 24 deep inside the housing sector. And right now it’s now growing and biding it’s time. It’s rumbling away in the chest with only a relatively small number of people like me and my mates noticing. The masses are oblivious at this stage. But my oh my! Won’t they be in for a shock in 2017 and beyond!

What I have not been able to understand is why you planted a ticking alien time bomb like Section 24 but set the timer to explode with increasingly destructive powers in the years leading up to a general election?

more to extremes lolness https://www.property118.com/budget-2015-landlords-reactions/76164/comment-page-923/#comment-83858

What housing crisis ?

inside M25 housing crisis ? 

There is no housing crisis here 20-40 % down from 2007 high ? 

Plenty of decent affordable accommodation here!

Maybe you should write to your MP saying I have a personal problem, I can't comprehend living outside the black hole down south ? 

When your local MP spends half his life sucking up to David Cameron, you know you'd be wasting your time.......

I have been a long time reader of this site and think it has some excellent views, posts and discussions.

I think Fru-gal is right. The only way we will get change is if enough people demand it. I think the Political tide of forever rising house prices being a good thing is slowly starting to change

I have written a few letters to my MP highlighting the need for action on housing. I think the only way to change things is collective action

Wrote to Tory MP, slim majority a few years back about HTB; got the standard reply, I pressed him again and got the same reply from Sajid Javid, being a relevant Govt minister. I had a letter published in the local rag criticising selective use of data in his weekly column in the same publication. He lost his seat eventually, can't even recall why as I'd moved by then. Don't think the was any scandals as such, standard expense fare aside. Just a tight seat.

Wrote to Labour MP following house move, this was in run up to last GE when Labour's '3 year tenancy' sleight of hand was unveiled as a policy; culminated with an email exchange with the then Shadow Housing minister Emma Reynold's PPS, which was fruitless.

Have since moved again, Labour MP again, used to be a junior minister at the treasury under Brown, have not yet been in touch. I will likely not be in touch until some sort of concrete policy details are announced in any case. Massive majority so maybe they're not bovved.

Have been in touch with other lobby groups at various points. In some ways I can consider it a total waste of time, but on the other hand I think it's not good enough to do nothing. Takes me much less time to contact them than it does them to reply in my view, possibly delusional.

There is currently a campaign called 'Axe the housing act' who have been organising demonstrations in London recently. There was a March last weekend and the next one is on June 24th called 'March for homes' organised ( I don't have anything to do with them but I have gone on their website to look at their points)

I think we need to become as organised as the property 118 guys to get any change

9 hours ago, fru-gal said:

I'm just curious how active other members are in voicing their opinions about the housing crisis and their own personal situation to their MP or other politicians? Do you think it can have an effect? Have any of you received a personal response to an email or letter regarding the situation?

I've worked with my safe seat MP to advise and achieve things in my area or expertise - have a good relationship

So, I felt awkward about contacting my MP when HTB was introduced as this was a 'personal' grievance / issue

I received a platitudinous party-line reply.

I continue to get better dialogue on other matters.

I did this several times and similarly got fobbed off with platitudes.

We ought to set up a "think tank", publish a paper with some PR, and get it in the news. Much more impact. Only half joking - there seem to be lots of obscure think tanks these days that get TV news coverage. 

Edited by mikthe20

I gave up on writing to MPs when my then MP (Tory expenses fraudster and serial brown noser for any government job, no matter how menial) wrote to tell me that First Past The Post was by far the best electoral system for ensuring that the make up of the national assembly truly represents the wishes of all voters...

Edited by Shrink Proof

If its any consolation to us, the Property 118 guys are certainly aware of us, they mention our site ( usually referencing us as a bunch of jealous, angry losers)  all the time.

And that's a showing of respect, in a weird sort of way.

We here may describe ourselves as feeling uninfluential and impotent in the wide world of HPI, but one things for sure, those guys over there are genuinely fearful that a viewpoint like ours even exists and is easily accessible to the public and powers that be.

And if we did manage to get our site quoted in a major Finance outlet, their outrage/fear would be a joy to behold.

i contacted my local MP via my company MD, who was looking at the issues facing young people with the local MP.

i think each little poke does bring it home how expensive things are. 

I think we should write letters...no point simply moaning on this website.  However the responses I have received from the MPs I have contacted (Hampshire) have been very disappointing.  But they say that MPs view one letter as representing the views of hundreds that didn't have the time to write so they do give them some pause for thought even if they responses seem to suggest they don't...

What about 'Priced Out'...aren't they the active HPCers...?  I have joined some of their campaigns but not sure very successful...

I think the point is we are up against the most wealthy and powerful and really it looks increasingly like we have backed a loser...

Completely pointless. MP's aren't on our side. They also aren't concerned about not being voted back in at the next general election either, because as we know, the baton just keeps getting passed back and forth between the same 2 parties every few years.

I now feel if you don't already own a property, you likely never will. Probably the same in mostly the rest of the world. But there are other options apart from owning a house, but no matter what you do, you're guaranteed to lose to the bankers when all is said and done.

12 hours ago, Wayward said:

What about 'Priced Out'...aren't they the active HPCers...?  I have joined some of their campaigns but not sure very successful...

I think the point is we are up against the most wealthy and powerful and really it looks increasingly like we have backed a loser...

Definitely worth teaming up with Priced Out to (a) push things more mainstream and (b) push the structural problems (credit, government subsidies) into their solution pile rather than just "build more houses". Also there are various local "Yes In My Backyard" groups who have sort of the right idea. 

Even it feels hopeless now, I also think it helps to keep the pressure on with junior activists etc who will become influential later. My guess is that we're starting to see that change already - some people in the Treasury have finally done the sums on what happens when a whole generation retires owning neither a house or a pension, and hence the crackdown on leveraged BTL. The public message might stay the same, but the wheels in the background are turning bit by bit.  

I agree 'priced out' campaign seems to be similar to a lot of the issues discussed on this website. I  agree that the structural changes issues (excessive credit/ government subsidies HTB etc) should be pushed more rather than just the build more houses answer.

There is a petition on Priced Out's website if more than 100,000 people sign then by law there will be a debate about it on the House of Commons. If everyone who reads this website signs the petitionthen I am sure these issues will snowball.

http://www.pricedout.org.uk/prices_petition