House Price Crash Forum

Sat Nav and dash cam aps on same android phone

shindigger

HOLA441

Having narrowly avoided hitting a female pedestrian yesterday, i think its time to protect oneself at the wheel.

She marched straight out in front of me in traffic, without even acknowledging the car, and i'm fairly sure she was trying on the fake accident routine.

Luckily i was barely doing 20 at the time, and i swear as she mounted the pavement on the other side she looked over trying to work out how i hadn't hit her.

I have just bought a dash cam from Amazon but wondered if its possible to run 2 apps simultaneously on my Xperia phone.

I use Waze as a sat nav which has resulted in my Garmin being put up for sale. Waze is fantastic. And the Autoboy black box looks good as a dash cam.

I'm trying to minimise the amount of spaghetti draped lovingly across the centre console of my car

Any thoughts? Cheers.

I should add that i've tried running them at the same time, but in order to access Waze, the Autoboys recording is stopped.

Is there an all in one app that cams as it navs?

HOLA442
HOLA443
Just now, goldbug9999 said:

I'm confused as to what your asking - are you trying to find a phone app that will make the dedicated dashcam redundant ? (if so Id advise against it).

Yes.

I'm aware that the field of vision on the dash cam will be superior, but as this site is tight wad central, i thought id see whats out there.

The cam i've bought is a semi permanent install as it clamps round the rear view mirror quite discretely.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/252790499703?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=40176066202&rlsatarget=pla-279594518065&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=9045676&device=c&campaignid=738210941&crdt=0

HOLA444

Looks like a decent bit of kit. I have a dedicated cam. I wouldn't personally use a phone app because Id have to dock the phone every journey, make sure the app was working etc and I generally just like the peace of mind that a dedicated designed-for-the-job bit of kit gives me. Youve already spent the money anyway so its a sunk cost.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Nothing technical to add but watching with interest as I'm in the market for a dashcam

The general standard of driving where I am is absolutely abysmal. About five years ago you'd possibly see one "f*ck me!" incident per week. Now it's multiple times a day including a corker a week ago when Gladys (in a state of utter oblivion) was driving the wrong way around a roundabout. Not once, but repeatedly did she orbit, all the while staring at us as if we were a bunch of halfwits. Every second lap was accompanied with a cheery wave.

Motorways are still OK bar the occasional dickhead, but inner city/town driving?

Dropped off a cliff.

HOLA447
6 hours ago, shindigger said:

Having narrowly avoided hitting a female pedestrian yesterday, i think its time to protect oneself at the wheel.

She marched straight out in front of me in traffic, without even acknowledging the car, and i'm fairly sure she was trying on the fake accident routine.

Luckily i was barely doing 20 at the time, and i swear as she mounted the pavement on the other side she looked over trying to work out how i hadn't hit her.

I got a claim against me by a pedestrian that stepped off the kerb into my path as I was reversing at about 10 mph. They weren't injured at the time of the incident but developed a 'head injury' subsequently, according to their claim via their no win no fee lawyers.  The insurance co just paid out most of their claim as civil courts apparently routinely find in favour of pedestrians as they are considered the vulnerable party. I had protected no claims but my premiums went up anyway 'because I'd made a claim'. 

A dash cam wouldn't have helped in this case, but a mate had someone try a crash for cash scam by braking suddenly for no reason as he pulled out of a T junction on Attercliffe common in Sheffield. He stopped just in time to not cause any damage, but has since fitted a dash cam on his rear view mirror.

HOLA448

Re cutting down on dashboard spaghetti: My dashcam cable runs across the passenger sun visor and then tucks into the rubber strip which runs down the front of the door opening. Across the bottom of the glovebox to the gear shifter plastic trim and then up to the cigar lighter socket. I had to buy a 2m USB extension to get the reach needed.

HOLA449

Cheers all.

My new cam is coming today from Amazon, so could be returned if i wanted. The concept of fit and forget where driving is concerned cant really be ignored can it? Will probably keep. The fact that Waze on my phone, completely outclasses my (supposedly very good) Sat Nav, means the Nav can pay for the cam when its sold. As it certainly doesn't pay to keep hold of 2 year old tech as a "back up". Worthless in another 2.

It doesn't have GPS which could be a good or a bad thing. Depending on how observant of speed limits one is.

Re spaghetti: I think this one will have sufficient cableage to take the scenic route to my 12v socket as has been described.

After reading this, i'm now thinking i need one in the back too. My neighbour has a "Smile You're On Camera" sticker in her back window maybe that will suffice for now.

I am convinced i dodged a bullet at the weekend.

How effing desperate do you have to be to knowingly walk in front of a moving car?

HOLA4410
1 hour ago, shindigger said:

Cheers all.

My new cam is coming today from Amazon, so could be returned if i wanted. The concept of fit and forget where driving is concerned cant really be ignored can it? Will probably keep. The fact that Waze on my phone, completely outclasses my (supposedly very good) Sat Nav, means the Nav can pay for the cam when its sold. As it certainly doesn't pay to keep hold of 2 year old tech as a "back up". Worthless in another 2.

Definitely fit to keep the cam in the car - you want cam all journeys and you may only want satnav a small proportion the time which means the faff of setting up the phone in the right place each time just so you have the cam running, then you have to check that app is running ok, then switch it back off to not drain the battery after each journey, too much faff.

HOLA4411
7 hours ago, onlyme2 said:

Definitely fit to keep the cam in the car - you want cam all journeys and you may only want satnav a small proportion the time which means the faff of setting up the phone in the right place each time just so you have the cam running, then you have to check that app is running ok, then switch it back off to not drain the battery after each journey, too much faff.

Yup.

Its now installed with 3M tape, right by the RVM. Put a 32gb card in. Spaghetti free install. And its defo starting when the car starts. Love it.

NOW all i have to worry about, is someone spying the cam and doing the window to get at it...

Archived