House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mrs Bear

Fashionable veg - what's in a name?

A year or two ago I discovered something called 'flower sprouts' - like mini cabbages, apparently a cross between Brussels sprouts and kale, developed by a Lincs. grower.  They were v nice and made a change from other winter veg - I found them in both Asda and Waitrose.  

This year I hadn't found any - until yesterday.  I do most of my food shopping in Asda, since it's closest and cheaper, but do go to W now and then for the odd thing A doesn't do. (British gammon is one). 

On the veg shelves I found bags of 'kalettes'  - flower sprouts re-branded!   Still from Lincs. 

Cant help wondering whether they've picked  that name because kale is so fashionable and 'flower sprouts' didn't sound exotic enough.  

Anyway, we'll be having them tonight with gammon, parsley sauce and mash.  

It's the search for novelty and variety, I like it, it's better than endless carrots and spuds. They do also have different tastes and textures.

I won't give details as I don't wish to derail the thread but different tastes and textures is my primary reason for searching out new plants to forage.

15 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's the search for novelty and variety, I like it, it's better than endless carrots and spuds. They do also have different tastes and textures.

I won't give details as I don't wish to derail the thread but different tastes and textures is my primary reason for searching out new plants to forage.

Taste and texture doesn't come very high when I go foraging in the woods. Everything always tastes like crap regardless; this however is all forgotten 30 minutes later as the universe starts collapsing inward around me. 

1 hour ago, Mrs Bear said:

Anyway, we'll be having them tonight with gammon, parsley sauce and mash.  

Whilst I do appreciate the thread's intention is to open up a conversation about marketing etc, can we please avoid sentences like the above?

Before we know it we'll have David Beckham posting pictures of his lasagne and the whole board will go totally Facebook.

Just a thought and an abiding fear.

Kalettes are a trade mark like Pink Lady and grown under license only. Flower sprouts are slightly different - Kalettes are cultivars or hybrids of kale and Brussels I believe.