Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Social media issues solution

Recommended Posts

Well, your solution is a bit drastic -- he didn't deserve to have to go off-line.

But it is quite difficult to trigger a seizure in this way -- the frequencies are about right, but it really needs to fill the visual field.  So something like strobes in an otherwise dark disco are dangerous,while the 'caution -- this video contains flash photography' on TV is an overabundance of caution.  It is also easy to avert one's gaze on a screen presentation, again, less difficult in a disco (say), where you'll get the effects of the strobe even if you shut your eyes.  Computer games are often considered to be potentially dangerous even though the screen is a small part of the field of view, as you have an incentive to stare-through the flicker for potentially some time to play the game, even if you might consider yourself at risk (if you'd just look away and 'throw the game' then it wouldn't be a problem)

It was stupid and reckless, but I'd say unlikely to have actually triggered a response* unless he sat and stared at the screen while it was on.  The stress of having it sent, however, might have set him up for a seizure (but that might have been any sort of distressing content).

[* unless he's extremely sensitive, in which case I'd have thought he'd have problems everywhere -- but that doesn't seem to be the case here]

The legal response is, as typical for the US, puerile.  It isn't like receiving a bomb or anthrax -- at best it could be considered like sending a peanut to someone with an allergy, in a box labelled 'this contains a peanut'.  This would be offensive/threatening, and would clearly be enough to cause distress -- and that is the crime here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, off topic and more generally hpc should carry the following warning:

BEWARE, THIS SITE CONTAINS ELEMENTS OF TRUTH AND MAY CAUSE COGNITIVE DISSONANCE IF YOU ARE A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE OR SJW

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, One-percent said:

Yes, off topic and more generally hpc should carry the following warning:

BEWARE, THIS SITE CONTAINS ELEMENTS OF TRUTH AND MAY CAUSE COGNITIVE DISSONANCE IF YOU ARE A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE OR SJW

:)

the paul joseph watson video's will definitely be carrying this kind of warning.

...so if you don't like it,don't watch it and then hysterically go into a fit and act like a stroppy toddler,you weak minded little gimp.

 

being british,of course....do you perhaps think he has taken the "points of view" mantra and run wth it a bit?..still dead funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, One-percent said:

Yes, off topic and more generally hpc should carry the following warning:

BEWARE, THIS SITE CONTAINS ELEMENTS OF TRUTH AND MAY CAUSE COGNITIVE DISSONANCE IF YOU ARE A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE OR SJW

:)

You do make me laugh sometimes - and that was one such instance...!

;)

 

XYY

                                                                                                               

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

You do make me laugh sometimes - and that was one such instance...!

;)

 

XYY

                                                                                                               

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

It's not often I'm accused of having a sense of humour. But that's mostly by soft southerners who just don't get it.  I like to try though  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, One-percent said:

It's not often I'm accused of having a sense of humour. But that's mostly by soft southerners who just don't get it.  I like to try though  :lol:

Aye - them soft, Southern Jessies ruin all things British...

 

XYY

                                                                                                               

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Aye - them soft, Southern Jessies ruin all things British...

 

XYY

 

... thou curiously not the Union itself :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to a nightclub in Cardiff several years back which had strobing lights in. Everyone was dancing but I began to feel as if my brain was literally seizing up. I closed my eyes tight but I could not stop the strobing affect. I had to cover my eyes with my hands and feel my way out of the club. Once outside, within minutes or perhaps mere moments, I began to feel fine again. It was scary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I went to a nightclub in Cardiff several years back which had strobing lights in. Everyone was dancing but I began to feel as if my brain was literally seizing up. I closed my eyes tight but I could not stop the strobing affect. I had to cover my eyes with my hands and feel my way out of the club. Once outside, within minutes or perhaps mere moments, I began to feel fine again. It was scary.

IMO it wasn't the start (well, aura) of a seizure (possible though, just don't sweat-it).  It is quite possible that there is a central (brain) effect of rhythmical pulses of sound ('music') and flashing lights, that you picked up as being extreme discomfort (well, or whatever you'd describe it as), but others delight in pursuing.   A bit like roller coasters -- if you think about it, it is bonkers to actually enjoy having your vestibular senses over stimulated, with a visual feed that is directly triggering the fear (about to die) parts of the brain... yet people seek the sensation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, dgul said:

IMO it wasn't the start (well, aura) of a seizure (possible though, just don't sweat-it).  It is quite possible that there is a central (brain) effect of rhythmical pulses of sound ('music') and flashing lights, that you picked up as being extreme discomfort (well, or whatever you'd describe it as), but others delight in pursuing.   A bit like roller coasters -- if you think about it, it is bonkers to actually enjoy having your vestibular senses over stimulated, with a visual feed that is directly triggering the fear (about to die) parts of the brain... yet people seek the sensation.

Some epileptics avoid taking their meds because they value the aura that precedes a seizure. They can be quite insightful and transendant experiences. Some of the greatest minds in history were epileptics including Dostoevsky, Caligula and errr... Mohammed.

Mr Eichenwald appears not to be one of those great minds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

None of those tedious www3 web page standards in use there

There's a gift in the sourcecode if you're interested... or brave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, dgul said:

IMO it wasn't the start (well, aura) of a seizure (possible though, just don't sweat-it).  It is quite possible that there is a central (brain) effect of rhythmical pulses of sound ('music') and flashing lights, that you picked up as being extreme discomfort (well, or whatever you'd describe it as), but others delight in pursuing.   A bit like roller coasters -- if you think about it, it is bonkers to actually enjoy having your vestibular senses over stimulated, with a visual feed that is directly triggering the fear (about to die) parts of the brain... yet people seek the sensation.

I used to love a strobe, back in my going to raves days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Next General Election   94 members have voted

    1. 1. When do you predict the next general election will be held?


      • 2019
      • 2020
      • 2021
      • 2022

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.