House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wsn03

Im going to look a gift horse in the mouth

The details of this are in a thread that was moved to  anecdotals. The issue is very pertinent to the state of the market though regards prices and the economy. 

In summary my Mother in law has amassed a few quid, and my wife is an only child.  To stop us moving back to mine she'soffered to buy us a bigger house with her money if we chuk in a 60k mortgage and some of our cash we're looking at 450k  thereabouts.

The market here, Warwickshire, however is so over inflated all 3 of us have thrown the towel in and agreed to move to my part of the world into my house.

Bottom line is I've abandoned a near total freebie because the value is so bad. I've never been in such a lucky position ( i could have sold up or rented mine out), but im not prepared to see anyone waste their money propping up the ponzi.

If people who can afford to buy with little debt walk away, who's left? And how does any young persons get on the ladder? Moms 3 bed ex council house is more or less bottom of the market, yours for just 230k.yes seriously?!?

1 hour ago, wsn03 said:

The details of this are in a thread that was moved to  anecdotals. The issue is very pertinent to the state of the market though regards prices and the economy. 

In summary my Mother in law has amassed a few quid, and my wife is an only child.  To stop us moving back to mine she'soffered to buy us a bigger house with her money if we chuk in a 60k mortgage and some of our cash we're looking at 450k  thereabouts.

The market here, Warwickshire, however is so over inflated all 3 of us have thrown the towel in and agreed to move to my part of the world into my house.

Bottom line is I've abandoned a near total freebie because the value is so bad. I've never been in such a lucky position ( i could have sold up or rented mine out), but im not prepared to see anyone waste their money propping up the ponzi.

If people who can afford to buy with little debt walk away, who's left? And how does any young persons get on the ladder? Moms 3 bed ex council house is more or less bottom of the market, yours for just 230k.yes seriously?!?

Your a better man than most, reads a bit Jeremy Kyle to me though 

I'll tell you who's left. The hundreds of thousands of youngsters trapped in rentals and parents houses that will bite the hand off any government or bank willing to indebt them for life.

Seriously, we're pretty alone in our thinking. 

We need a collapse of the banking system at the same time as the housing market so that credit dries up. 

I've clever friends that think help to buy is the government being nice.

We're a nation of dimwits, happy to sign their lives away and say thanks.

Edited by honkydonkey

6 minutes ago, honkydonkey said:

I'll tell you who's left. The hundreds of thousands of youngsters trapped in rentals and parents houses that will bite the hand off any government or bank willing to indebt them for life.

We need a collapse of the banking system at the same time as the housing market so that credit dries up. 

I'm not convinced that your friends are clever based on the evidence you present here. ;)

2 minutes ago, One-percent said:

I'm not convinced that your friends are clever based on the evidence you present here. ;)

I'm coming around to the idea almost everyone is an idiot.

4 minutes ago, honkydonkey said:

Apart from those who post here...  I agree   Was talking to a mate today who teaches undergraduates. They had complained as they had not been told exactly what they had to,read and then write about for assignments. Not that they hadn't been instructed in general terms but not told exactly what to write 

Ive just emptied my stuff out of my office landlord's garage (we were renting an office/ unit we had to leave so he stuck everything in his BTL garage).

I knocked on the BTL door to let the young people know i was moving my stuff.

The 4 young lads in that house watched me do 4 big car loads, including dragging 2 cabinets on my own. Not one of them offered a hand. Dumb, I'd have bought them dinner and a few tins if they had.

They were quite happy though to just gormlessly watch me through the window. 

I'd have offered a hand. Wtf is wrong with kids these days?

1 hour ago, wsn03 said:

Ive just emptied my stuff out of my office landlord's garage (we were renting an office/ unit we had to leave so he stuck everything in his BTL garage).

The 4 young lads in that house watched me do 4 big car loads, including dragging 2 cabinets on my own. Not one of them offered a hand. Dumb, I'd have bought them dinner and a few tins if they had.

Personally, I wouldn't rush to blame the kids. I used to help anybody out, but, having learned the hard way many times over like you did when you shifted your furniture while others watched, I no longer go out of my way to help anyone to whom I have no connection, and I'm old enough to be the kids' father. Perhaps the kids wised up faster to the present day UK than either you or I.

Edited by LiveinHope

53 minutes ago, wsn03 said:

I've been working with marketing folk recently regarding a product launch, and the general response has been that that generation are hopeless -- completely self-centred and they've got no-money anyway.  

[They've told me to focus on Baby boomers, as they've got all the money, and Gen-X as they're easily influenced by a sob-story.]

8 minutes ago, dgul said:

I've been working with marketing folk recently regarding a product launch, and the general response has been that that generation are hopeless -- completely self-centred and they've got no-money anyway.  

[They've told me to focus on Baby boomers, as they've got all the money, and Gen-X as they're easily influenced by a sob-story.]

They could well be hopeless

2 hours ago, wsn03 said:

I'm renting a place. Landlord is in his 70's, I'm 32 and he plans to eventually sell his £3/4M estate and retire to our property when we move out. The gardens were both a tip and the driveway very narrow and he was very keen when we first moved in to sort out this out so he had 8 ton of gravel delivered to sort out the front of the property. He knocked on the door for a general chat at 10am whilst he waited for his "team of workers" to turn up. At 10:30am they still hadn't arrived so I offered a hand and shifted about 2 ton of the gravel myself from the driveway to the front of the property whilst the landlord raked it in. Mid afternoon the "team" show up and started to help. I had my own wheelbarrow and they had 2 between them yet I reckon I still shifted more gravel than the 5 of them combined with 2 wheelbarrows. The landlord paid them all at the end of the day and then made some passing comment about them being useless. I didn't expect to be paid, but I didn't really get a heartfelt thanks either or a discount from the rent. He's since been back to do a fence which he's left half finished since October. He shows up now and again but I don't offer to help now although he gets the odd cup of tea. At the rate he's moving the fence and gardens might be ready by 2020...

6 minutes ago, electrogear said:

... I offered a hand and shifted about 2 ton of the gravel myself from the driveway to the front of the property whilst the landlord raked it in...

An almost literal definition of the landlord/tenant relationship :-)

4 hours ago, Sajid the Taxmeister said:

Good on you.  Whilst not having access to another's fortune,  I too refuse to buy for the same reason.

me too, my whole extended (asian) family thinks i'm crazy, tbh i've given up ever buying a place in this country.

2 minutes ago, ubuntu said:

me too, my whole extended (asian) family thinks i'm crazy, tbh i've given up ever buying a place in this country.

My Mother in law and wife are Asian; one thing I've noticed is they tend to focus on value more than price. They can't see the value, neither can I.

4 minutes ago, wsn03 said:

My Mother in law and wife are Asian; one thing I've noticed is they tend to focus on value more than price. They can't see the value, neither can I.

i'm considered to be an outlier in certain respects as asians generally do not rent for extended periods (been renting for 15+ years) as they consider it dead money etc and are keen to buy as soon as possible. I think you're doing the right thing, there just isn't any value.

17 hours ago, dgul said:

Not sure about Gex-X and sob stories, what is the thinking ther?

4 hours ago, hotairmail said:

My daughter is 22. Her and her boyfriend and friends from school seem far more switched on than my generation was at the same age when things were unbelievably easy when I look back. I think debts has made them grow up. They still haven't lost the point of all hopelessness and are fighting to get ahead.

Talking with a mate last night who works for a big civil engineer and he was saying he's getting kids coming through with 3 A's at A level applying for apprenticeships (these ones lead to paid for degrees after a few years)............he was ranting about the poor quality of Uni graduates these days.Says the kids coming through the apprencticeships oin his dept are spot on.

21 hours ago, honkydonkey said:

Yep - but afaic let them go over the top. It's their sacrifice in buying first that will deprive landlords of good tenants and thus undermine prices in the longer term.

21 hours ago, honkydonkey said:

wrong. I can easily get a mortgage and have a fairly large deposit. I refuse to buy at these prices and know many other people in the same boat. On a joint income of around 7k/net my wife and I CAN afford to pay, but won't at current prices. I'm not going to get into debt for a crappy pile of rubble.

On 18/03/2017 at 7:21 PM, honkydonkey said:

Praps we need the phrase 'otherwise clever' - I know so many otherwise clever people, some of them otherwise very clever, who say things like 'but aren't high house prices good for everyone?'. Honestly, a friend of mine said that. I was speechless - where do you start?