House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BristolBuyer

Multi-region DVD and Bluray players

I want to watch the TV series "The Americans" on DVD, but it's only available on region 1. What's the lowest-hassle way of doing that these days? My multi-region Wharfedale player from Tescos failed years ago.

I'm thinking of just ordering a US-specification player from amazon.com. 

The multi-region players on amazon.co.uk look like they've been taken out of the box and modified, which make me worry whether they might revert to their base region at a later date.

I want to watch the TV series "The Americans" on DVD, but it's only available on region 1. What's the lowest-hassle way of doing that these days? My multi-region Wharfedale player from Tescos failed years ago.

The multi-region players on amazon.co.uk look like they've been taken out of the box and modified, which make me worry whether they might revert to their base region at a later date.

Are you looking for Multi-region DVD and Bluray players?

Multi-region DVD and Bluray players?

Multi-region DVD and Bluray players?

My multi-region player clapped-out a while back too.

Since then, I tend to copy region 1 disks to DVD-R and remove the region coding in the process. My Blu-ray player seems happy with these.

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

There's usually a code you can enter or a firmware update to unlock the multiregion support.

A new blue ray disc can refuse to play on your old player because either the manufacturer keys were leaked or because it was easy to exploit for multi region.

I would recommend not buying a player that advertises itself as region free, as I doubt it is official.

I would buy a popular player that has well known support for unofficial patches or manufacturer codes.

My multi-region player clapped-out a while back too.

Since then, I tend to copy region 1 disks to DVD-R and remove the region coding in the process. My Blu-ray player seems happy with these.

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

Amazon UK sell a variety of region-free DVD players - all for under £50.

I would go and read the latest reviews of the ones that work and just buy one. My invoice is in the post.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DVD-Players-Multi-Region-Recorders/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A560860%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A1059548031

There's a few companies that will sell you one chipped up for all regions. Costs about £100 extra.

DVD regions are no problem now. It's the blu-rays, and I have some USA ones

This one seems a good model:

NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE - the version sold by Amazon is only a Region 2 player - it is in the small print on the page - but the same model sold by third party retailers on that same page is the region free model... as you will see stated in the Q&A's from satisfied buyers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-MULTIREGION-Upscaling-Support-Playback/dp/B00LCVLLJA/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1489840849&sr=1-2#Ask

Careful with that my old thug Mr Tulip. They may be open for DVDs, but the Blu-Ray is a different question.

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Careful with that my old thug Mr Tulip. They may be open for DVDs, but the Blu-Ray is a different question.

Yes, ignore me. I saw the DVD and ignored the Blu-ray. The region free Blu-rays are a load more money.

If the series is available on NETFLIX in the US/Canada you could just change your region to one of those countries and stream it via Netflix if it is on Netflix.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Ah, you want region free blu-ray. They are more expensive.

The Blu-Ray consortium, probably engineered by Sony, says no. You will have to pay for that "feature".

4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

The Blu-Ray consortium, probably engineered by Sony, says no. You will have to pay for that "feature".

This model, according to the reviewers, plays mult-region blu-ray players. It is also has firmware upgrade that, apparently continues to allow this.  £145.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONY-BDP-S1500-Lecteur-Multi-Region/dp/B00YD057KQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489841778&sr=8-2&keywords=region-free+blu-ray+player

I had a Sony. It did the job, was fussy about discs. Didn't like the brown ones! Got a Pioneer now. This one is still rocking!:o

3 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

I hacked my bluray player to play all regions. (Panasonic). I found the hack somewhere online. 

Having been to the "dark web" GCHQ will be monitoring you.:o

Richer Sounds used to be the place to go for multi-region stuff. I still use a Cambridge Audio one ought from them about 10 years back (it was dual voltage as well which turned out to be handy when I moved).

This government backed market fix really ******s me off.  I have moved between 3 regions for work, and it means that entirely legitimately bought DVDs become unplayable on new players in regions we move to.  We pick up multi region players as we travel, but it is a real hassle to find a true one, and certainly adds cost.

As a result, we find that we no longer buy DVDs unless they are massively on sale as the multi region issue puts us off.  

It can be done Mr W Bee. I always buy the players "opened up", so it plays anything from anywhere! I too have travelled. Once I went past Swindon!

15 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Once I went past Swindon!

Just be careful and don't travel that way with a keyboard. I hear spy lives down that way and you really would not want to get a cross infection to you keyboard 

9 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Just be careful and don't travel that way with a keyboard. I hear spy lives down that way and you really would not want to get a cross infection to you keyboard 

I am used to foreign keyboards, due to travelling past Swindon, There are QUERY, AZERTY, but Mr Spy has a DFGVE ketborad!

Buy a Sony BDP-S5500 or similar model.  It is a good bit of kit, plays all region DVDs and BluRays without any issues so far.

I have a lot a DVDs/BluRays from Amazon.com and Amazon.co.jp and they all work beautifully.