House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Building Societies Getting Desparate

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/mortgages/mor...5&in_page_id=58

Avoid this mortgage trap

Rosanna Spero, Daily Mail

26 January 2006

HOMEBUYERS are being targeted with cheap mortgages with a nasty sting in the tail - you must stick with the lender for years after the low rate finishes or face punitive charges.
The rates can appear mouthwatering. Portman Building Society, for instance, is offering 1.95% fixed until January 31, 2008.
But once the fixed period is over, you must stay with the building society until 2012, paying base rate plus 1.99% - currently 6.49%. To get out, the penalty ranges from 7% down to 2%

The last desparate gasps of a dying property market?

I was in Lloyds yesterday paying in a cheque and a youg girl was in front of me with a pushchair.

She asked if she would be allowed a mortgage although she doesn't work but said she got child benefits, child tax credit and csi (whatever that is)

and the lady at the counter said yes. :o

MY GOD - whats happening

I was in Lloyds yesterday paying in a cheque and a youg girl was in front of me with a pushchair.

She asked if she would be allowed a mortgage although she doesn't work but said she got child benefits, child tax credit and csi (whatever that is)

and the lady at the counter said yes. :o

MY GOD - whats happening

She probably said CSA which is a Child Support Agency payment.

Pretty scary stuff! This one will get written of as bad debt. She would be better off trying to get fast tracked for a council house.

I tell you what would force us into a HPC and that is child tax credits.

Two members of my family were struggling until GB bought this in. They now get an extra £100.00 a week paid into their accounts. Made all the difference. Now they go out for a meal every week etc.