House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workingpoor

Eta millitant group 'to disarm fully by 8 April'

Spain: Eta militant group 'to disarm fully by 8 April'

The militant group Eta has resolved to disarm fully by 8 April, sources close to talks between the Basque separatists and Spanish government have said.

A pro-Basque independence and environmental group called Bizi has been given responsibility for the disarmament, according to one activist speaking to France's Le Monde.

Eta declared a ceasefire in 2011 but is yet to relinquish its weapons.

The group killed more than 800 people over four decades of violence.

It was set up more than 50 years ago in the era of Spanish dictator General Franco to fight for an independent Basque homeland.

However, in recent years it has been sapped by the arrest of hundreds of members, including leadership figures, and the seizure of weapons caches.

"Eta has handed us responsibility for the disarmament of its arsenal and, as of the evening of 8 April, Eta will have completely handed over its weapons," Txetx Etcheverry, an activist with Bizi, was quoted as saying in Le Monde.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39305685

I remember stories popping up on the news every now and again throughout the '80's & 90's 

Txetx! What a name. 

I'm pretty sure I read that the Basque language is completely unrelated to any other language and nobody fully knows how it came about. 

5 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Txetx! What a name. 

I'm pretty sure I read that the Basque language is completely unrelated to any other language and nobody fully knows how it came about. 

Drinking id guess.

34 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Txetx! What a name. 

Welsh Nats always making a big thing about how Basque and Gog are related.

I have forgotten how many times the ETA have fully disarmed during my lifetime - usually once a decade IIRC.

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

To be fair it looks eerily similar to a lot of your posts on here :D

If you sit up, youll trigger the bomb Ive left under your seat.

XYYX¬¬¬XXXXYYXYXYX

52 minutes ago, spyguy said:

If you sit up, youll trigger the bomb Ive left under your seat.

XYYX¬¬¬XXXXYYXYXYX

Howay man spy - that bomb's got nowt to do with me..!

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

2 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Txetx! What a name. 

It is an area with a lot of natural foodstuffs so would have had a high population density prior to the rise of agriculture which in most of Europe displaced existing languages and replaced them with Indo-European.