House Price Crash Forum

Landlords’ Barometer – #47: ‘Buy-to-let is dead’?

HOLA441

Property Industry Eye 17/3/17

'Welcome to my first Landlords’ Barometer following the Spring Budget 2017. Here is some of our latest content from what is the UK’s busiest landlord community:

1. Spring Budget 2017 – property perspective and reactions

On the surface, the Budget did not hold much for landlords and property investors, but dig a little deeper and read the small print!

2. The “Midlands Engine Strategy”: A property perspective

Following the launch of the MES, we look at where there might be opportunity for property investors.

3. From iconic department store to residential

We travelled to St. Helens to meet property developer Paul Nicholson to find out his plans for this historic building in the town centre.

4. “Buy-to-let is dead” – contrarian views

It’s always good to test your opinion against contrarian views, and this discussion was certainly lively!

5. Who will be the dominant force in the future of the private rented sector?

I share some thoughts on the future players in the PRS and how cash will be a powerful force.

6. Buy to Let “Danger Zone” check list

Due to low interest rates, a significant number of landlords may not realise they are in a perilous situation. Our check list helps landlords understand their overall position.'

The video in 4 is a superb 7 min watch,the guy nails it.Buy to let is dead,govt changes going to take out small LL's....

Compiled by Vanessa Warwick of Property tribes.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
11 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

This guy? http://harrydent.com/

Does his stuff apply to the UK or only USA? 

Yep that's him. Mainly US since he looks at age distribution of population and peak spending. So consumtion is greatest for those at 40 with children compared to  retirees. So an aging population is not necessarily good for consumtion and profits.

Some of his work carries over to Europe since we share similarities in population distribution. Very interesting stuff and well worth spending sometime watching his videos. He is a deflationist and predicts gold at about 700 dollars iirc.

Edited by grasshopper
Spelling

HOLA445
2 hours ago, hotairmail said:

Re video 4

I find it amazing how the glottal stop has infected middle class english in London. You even had Prime Ministers using it (Blair, Cameron, Osborne, Brown - I'm looking a' you) - perhaps to feign blokeyness. But the guy in video 4, nominally tries to speak 'posh authority' but has a glottal stop. I don't mind the glottal stop. I just distrust people with middle class accents with i'.  

:D [Osborne wasn't the Prime Minister but I know what you meant!]

That's why I like Jacob Rees-Mogg so much :) He was on Question Time last night, got a couple of zingers out, including one about avoiding being locked up in the Tower of London!

Edited by mrtickle

HOLA446
20 hours ago, hotairmail said:

Re video 4

I find it amazing how the glottal stop has infected middle class english in London. You even had Prime Ministers using it (Blair, Cameron, Osborne, Brown - I'm looking a' you) - perhaps to feign blokeyness. But the guy in video 4, nominally tries to speak 'posh authority' but has a glottal stop. I don't mind the glottal stop. I just distrust people with middle class accents with i'.  Just thought I would expose my prejudices. :rolleyes:  (EDIT: Basically, you're either posh trying to feign blokeyness, or you're not posh but trying to pretend you are, or estuary English has literally infected everyone down there. He is a buy-to-let 'investor' so I go for option 2 - the chancer's option)

Ed Miliband's glottal-stoplessness was a thing he must have worked hard on, too.  Every other T dropped in the hope of sounding a bit more like 'ordinary people', as they like to call us wot votes for them. Or not.