House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Si1

Wtf's going on? I thought London prices were crashing but now they're not or something?

1 minute ago, Bhoy said:

You probably need to provide a link to a news article or this post doesn't really make sense.

I think it's yesterday's Evening Standard - there's another thread

Gazumping is back apparently

9 minutes ago, knock out johnny said:

Indeed. My vagueness true. But there are definite ramping articles ahoy. See the lovely Isabelle Fraser's articles in the telegraph.

10 minutes ago, knock out johnny said:

Yep. Cherie's Blair was gazumped by Elon Musk's ex wife. She offered £200k more than Cherie on a circa £2.5 million pound property. Rich peoples problems...

Ah. Spring bounce. I'm seeing this up north in Leeds in fact, know one couple suddenly decided over Christmas to buy.

The only real issue you have to focus on in Londinium is transaction levels.For any change to current crash course,they need to lift 40% plus from where they were in Nov(Given potential delays it's sometimes 4 months before sales are registered but most are done in a month or two.)

Gazumping is normally symptomatic of a broad base of sales.

Using crash poster boy SW3 (which has been experiencing price drops since about mid 2014 iirc)Dec 16 ,19 sales

By comparison

Dec 11 26 sales,

Dec 12 36 sales,

Dec 13 38 sales,

Dec 14 23 sales

Dec 15 21 sales,

Prices can move rapidly in any given postcode if one big house goes through for a few million.DYOR etc

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detail.html?country=england&locationIdentifier=OUTCODE^2516&searchLocation=SW3&referrer=landingPage&addGoogleTagManager=true

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detail.html?country=england&locationIdentifier=OUTCODE^2516&searchLocation=SW3&referrer=landingPage&addGoogleTagManager=true

Edited by Sancho Panza

Who cares what they are bought for.....It is what they are rented out for that counts.....Income is key, no income no high price value......;)

Anybody thinking that UK property is going to nosedive...after this Brexit mess nosedived the currency...needs to get their head checked.

Especially in more desirable areas like London.

UK property looks great to those holding vast sums of currency in CNY, EUR, AED, SAR, USD, INR, RUB, just to name a few.... so much more purchase for these currencies in less than a year!

Nothing goes down in a straight line. We've just hit a pocket where sellers have been softened up and a few buyers see an opportunity. EAs and developers will want to talk up a recovery, and the media will want to cover it because it's surprising. 

Edited by Patient London FTB

1 hour ago, cashinmattress said:

Anybody thinking that UK property is going to nosedive...after this Brexit mess nosedived the currency...needs to get their head checked.

UK property looks great to those holding vast sums of currency in CNY, EUR, AED, SAR, USD, INR, RUB, just to name a few.... so much more purchase for these currencies in less than a year!

No it doesn't

With the new rules, the cost of London property may be cheaper in currency terms but the yearly tax take has gone up a lot.

I think the fact Rightmove paid for a few pages of pseudo-articles aimed at fist time buyers says a lot - to me it just smacks of nervousness about the first-time buyer market. You don't pay for pages of ramping if you think people will be queueing up to buy anyway

It's easy to get drawn into confirmation biases by focusing on price falls for individual houses, particular press articles and changes such as S24 which suggest falls.

But the fundamentals are that the UK economy looks likely to be mired in recession for a decade or more, supportive wage increases are unlikely, PCL prices can be 80% overvalued by any reasonable affordability criterion, sterling has been abandoned and could easily fall 50% over the next few years.

Overseas buyers looking for a safe haven may be sucking the air between their teeth when the groupthink effect wears off. 

6 hours ago, cashinmattress said:

If transactions stay on the floor,then prices won't be going up.

Worth noting that if Sterling's declining long term then all these savvy foreigners are buying a depreciating asset.My experience of rich people,tells me that's not necessarily how they normally work.

5 hours ago, Patient London FTB said:

Nothing goes down in a straight line. We've just hit a pocket where sellers have been softened up and a few buyers see an opportunity. EAs and developers will want to talk up a recovery, and the media will want to cover it because it's surprising. 

Absolutely.

What I don't get is how no one (apart from the HPC site of course) isn't sounding the alarms bells about new build in London. Within a 2 mile radius of where I am in Hammersmith there is just loads of this investor targeted property. OK, the stuff close to W8, SW6,etc might be offload-able but I really cant see who is gonna to pay the asking price in NUMEROUS developments of newly completed and soon to be on the market stuff. Crappo developments just so in the wrong place include things like the one snuck behind the Hogarth roundabout. Who is going to pay 800K starting price to live there? Or a 2 million "townhouse" on Goldhawk road? There must be billions of expectations in W6 and W12 alone.

56 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

Brexit boost - we are now a Global Britain donchaknow.

Toilet paper currency = All your house are belong to us.

Well I voted brexit because the remoaners told me house prices were going to tank.

Looks like the scumbags were talking horseshit.

22 hours ago, knock out johnny said:

And soon to have a new editor I read! From memory that paper has I think weekly a huge supplement for housing related advertising. Though I don't know how much financial support property companies provide. One other issue they have been printing articles on is London business rate rises.

1 hour ago, GreenDevil said:

Well I voted brexit because the remoaners told me house prices were going to tank.

Looks like the scumbags were talking horseshit.

Oh they're tanking old bean. As long as your wealth isn't in GBP!