House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stillLooking

Email From Ea

Got this from an EA yesterday.... any comments?

Dear Customer,

With the New Year now well under way I wanted to take this opportunity to clarify your current situation and requirements. Here in the Wimbledon office we have registered a large amount of motivated buyers so far in January and in an effort to keep the numbers down and give those that are genuinely serious the most effective possible service please could you get in touch via email or telephone confirming your current position and requirements?

It is worth noting that with the volume of applicants that have been registering, there are a lot of sales being agreed, especially on the newer properties, so it is imperative if you are keen to find you keep in close contact with your estate agent!! There also seems to be a shortage of property coming onto the market at this point, so the good properties that are becoming available are often selling in the first 48 hours. We have had several instances of this in the last 2 weeks, with many buyers being disappointed not to have even had time to view the properties, let alone make an offer.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Dear Customer,

With the New Year now well under way I wanted to take this opportunity to clarify your current situation and requirements. Here in the Wimbledon office we have registered a large amount of motivated buyers so far in January and in an effort to keep the numbers down and give those that are genuinely serious the most effective possible service please could you get in touch via email or telephone confirming your current position and requirements?

It is worth noting that with the volume of applicants that have been registering, there are a lot of sales being agreed, especially on the newer properties, so it is imperative if you are keen to find you keep in close contact with your estate agent!! There also seems to be a shortage of property coming onto the market at this point, so the good properties that are becoming available are often selling in the first 48 hours. We have had several instances of this in the last 2 weeks, with many buyers being disappointed not to have even had time to view the properties, let alone make an offer.

Dear Customer,

Put it this way if they are as busy and optimistic as they suggest where do they find the time to send out this drivel? :D

There also seems to be a shortage of property coming onto the market at this point, so the good properties that are becoming available are often selling in the first 48 hours. We have had several instances of this in the last 2 weeks, with many buyers being disappointed not to have even had time to view the properties, let alone make an offer.

Haha well I doubt they'd be saying theres plenty of property on the market, take your time, browse around, then put a low offer in on one of them for us.

This is pure marketing bull! :lol:

Dear Customer,

Surely if they were flooded with buyers this email would read more like:

"If you are interested in buying property this year please register as soon as possible to avoid disapointment."

Why is the EA making excuses and explaining why the buyer needs to come down?

Would the EA's approach just attract more time wasters?

If they were unindated with buyers this email would not exist, it would be surplus to requirements.

Surely if they were flooded with buyers this email would read more like:

"If you are interested in buying property this year please register as soon as possible to avoid disapointment."

Why is the EA making excuses and explaining why the buyer needs to come down?

Would the EA's approach just attract more time wasters?

If they were unindated with buyers this email would not exist, it would be surplus to requirements.

exactly! Spot on!

Sounds like desparation to me! :P

Dear Customer,

This tells me the following:

The potential buyers they have registered are not, in their eyes, 'motivated'

They are worried about the low numbers of potential buyers

Very few sales are being agreed

Viewings are substantially down

Offers are not being made

If you've got the time, do plenty of viewings to keep the poor things occupied. Otherwise, just sit tight. This kind of desperation is a wonderful thing to observe imho...

Agents get stick for not keeping in touch with registered buyes. An email like this is cheap (compared to 200 phone calls) and quick (ditto), courteous, and you have a fair idea as an agent that the people who respond are fairly serious and the people who don't aren't. Agents have got better things to do with their time than keep in touch with 200 people if only 100 are serious about buying at or near current market value (or even current vendor expectation).

Do you really think that they think an email like this is going to suddenly make buyers able to afford to pay more or turn bears into bulls? Give them some credit.

The flipside of course (which IMHO may be a part of it, but not the main factor) is that if volumes are down and they've laid off a member of staff they may be less able to service the needs of all prospective buyers individually.

I think the nonsense spiel of the EA's over the last few years may be part of their undoing.

I think a lot of FTB’s actual now believe they have missed the boat as property does look unaffordable.

So they are not even thinking about buying any more. Instead going to the pub and saving for an ISA.

Who pays over a grand a month? Drug dealers would scoff at this for their first house.

EA

“So what sort of house are you looking for?”

Drug dealer

“Well I is dead rich init. So I is gunna need da best”

EA

“Right, the top of the FTB range is usually something like this” <shows a nice semi with big garden>

Drug dealer

“Nah man dats b*ll*x, me mams ‘ouse is bedder dan dat an she aint got nuffin, yeah?”

“Nah man I wan’ sumat massive wid a pool an sh*t”

EA

“OK, I don’t think that’s an option for your first house”

Drug dealer

“You what? I got a carrier bag ‘ere wid £200 G’s init. What does dat get me?”

EA

“Well the first house I showed you was £245,000, so you would have to borrow another £45,000 to meet the asking price”

Drug dealer

“Nah man, you is tryin to play me. I aint no fool, I don’t borrow from nobody. F*ck this Sh!t you is craaazzzie”

They're fishing for mugs - that's all.

If I was an agent and was genuinely attempting to cut the dead wood out of my mailing list I wouldn't have use that wording.

Precisely. And in a healthy market there's no need for cutting dead wood - it happens naturally...

Spot on ?...!, but it takes a thinking man to reach this conclusion. Anyone else would swallow and go along with it.

Here's an extract of a document from an organisation called Equilibria.

In the world today we are all conditioned beings, to a greater or lesser extent. We believe what we are told or what we see on the TV or read in the newspapers and those of us who look beyond this media mind control continue to look externally at the works and teachings of others, and so, in the main, we tend to believe in something somebody else wants us to believe in. This is not our own truth. It is not our own experience of reality; it is generally somebody else’s. We then tend to repeat this so-called ‘truth’ as being our own truth when our own truth can come only from within us. Do we, therefore, become puppets instead of the puppeteer and do we become the passenger rather than the navigator of the journey?

Do you really think that they think an email like this is going to suddenly make buyers able to afford to pay more or turn bears into bulls? Give them some credit.

The flipside of course (which IMHO may be a part of it, but not the main factor) is that if volumes are down and they've laid off a member of staff they may be less able to service the needs of all prospective buyers individually.

They use the people who respond to talk up the number of people "ready to buy right now!" on their marketing spiel to vendors. Basically its compound duplex marketing. (l just made that up)

Precisely. And in a healthy market there's no need for cutting dead wood - it happens naturally...

I often got stick when I was in a High Street agent for not keeping in touch with buyers. They would regularly harangue me for not calling me, wanting to know why I hadn't called them when there was new stuff in my window with SOLD on it. I was forever explaining that I had no time to call buyers when I could sell things quickly doing nothing but reacting to incoming enquiries. (This was partly due to the buoyant market at the time and partly due to my boss having a very conservative approach to hiring... he didn't, and I was busy as a result! An email like this could well be partly to ensure that buyers aren't offended by the lack of calls.

It is very easy to register as a buyer, it is a lot harder to call an agent every week for a chat and to see what has come on in the last week (which is what you would do if you were serious about buying). In my experience most people who register (50-75%) you never hear from again. It is the ones that are in regular contact with you, and the ones who respond to a specific ad for a specific property that you are far more likely to sell to

FF

Why? What for?

It's a serious question...

Mags

It is very easy to slag people off or assume they are stupid, but maybe they have got a vague idea what they are doing? I have no idea how long they've been in business, or how long they will remain in business, but at the minute they are which presumably means they're making some money.

If you assume everyone you come across is a mug, someone will take you for a mug cos you won't see it coming.

FF

Spot on ?...!, but it takes a thinking man to reach this conclusion. Anyone else would swallow and go along with it.

Here's an extract of a document from an organisation called Equilibria.

You lot really do read too much into it!!!!

(1) They have loads of email addresses from people claiming to be buyers.

(2) They email them asking them to get in touch.

(3) They discard the "buyers" who do not want to buy (as proven by not getting in touch), thus maximizing the time they can spend with the other buyers.

If you advertized a car for sale and got 10 messages on your answerphone, you'd call all 10 back. Let's say they were all out and you left 10 messages. Would you call all 10 back again every day for a month, or would you assume that if they ccouldn't be bothered to call you back after you left 1 or 2 messages they weren't serious?

FF

FF

You lot really do read too much into it!!!!

(1) They have loads of email addresses from people claiming to be buyers.

(2) They email them asking them to get in touch.

(3) They discard the "buyers" who do not want to buy (as proven by not getting in touch), thus maximizing the time they can spend with the other buyers.

If you advertized a car for sale and got 10 messages on your answerphone, you'd call all 10 back. Let's say they were all out and you left 10 messages. Would you call all 10 back again every day for a month, or would you assume that if they ccouldn't be bothered to call you back after you left 1 or 2 messages they weren't serious?

FF

If I was inundated with people wanting to buy my car, I wouldn’t bother to make speculative approaches to yet more people, telling them time is running out.

That would be called hype

If I was inundated with people wanting to buy my car, I wouldn’t bother to make speculative approaches to yet more people, telling them time is running out.

That would be called hype

I presume that they had the email address as Still Looking had registered as a buyer. Why do you assume that it was a speculative email? A simple email to see whether people who have registered are serious or not.

I presume that they had the email address as Still Looking had registered as a buyer. Why do you assume that it was a speculative email? A simple email to see whether people who have registered are serious or not.

I have read the second paragraph.

Precisely. So why not just ask the question using plain courteous English rather than the emotive language used:

This message is nothing more than a blatent attempt to scare any remaining gullibles into parting with borrowed money that they can probably ill afford to repay.

If business really was as good as the message implies they wouldn't have even wasted their time drafting the message.

The hidden message is obvious. The agents are frustrated that the market has hit the inevitable brick wall and are now venting their anger at the buyers. A sign of professional immaturity if ever there was one.

I disagree. The primary point of the message is to sort the wheat from the chaff. If you are doing that then obviously you puut a bit of spin in there (if it was Car Showroom sending something similar they'd mention the new models but not talk about the possible petrol price rises).

I am fairly bearish, but perhaps not as much as many on here. But surely the evidence of falls is land registry figures, huge discounts from fairly realistic asking prices, or increased numbers of unsold properties. A little email means nothing, and if that is the best evidence bears can come up with for a crash then I might just have to go bullish!

I have read the second paragraph.

Sorry, I'm not with you. Please explain further.

Mags

It is very easy to slag people off or assume they are stupid, but maybe they have got a vague idea what they are doing? I have no idea how long they've been in business, or how long they will remain in business, but at the minute they are which presumably means they're making some money.

If you assume everyone you come across is a mug, someone will take you for a mug cos you won't see it coming.

FF

As I said, it was a serious question. Was yours a serious response? Do you seriously think I am inclined to 'slag people off' or 'assume they are stupid'? Don't judge me by your own standards, please.

The second paragraph…

<speculation>It is worth noting</speculation> that with the volume of applicants that have been registering, there are a lot of sales being agreed, especially on the newer properties, <speculation>so it is imperative</speculation> if you are keen to find you keep in close contact with your estate agent!! There also <speculation>seems to be</speculation> a shortage of property coming onto the market at this point, so the <speculation>good properties</speculation> that are becoming available are often selling in the first 48 hours. We have had several instances of this in the last 2 weeks, with <speculation>many buyers being disappointed</speculation> not to have even had time to view the properties, let alone make an offer.

A simple separation of facts and opinion will help you spot speculation in the future.

I think the nonsense spiel of the EA's over the last few years may be part of their undoing.

I think a lot of FTB’s actual now believe they have missed the boat as property does look unaffordable.

So they are not even thinking about buying any more. Instead going to the pub and saving for an ISA.

Who pays over a grand a month? Drug dealers would scoff at this for their first house.

EA

“So what sort of house are you looking for?”

Drug dealer

“Well I is dead rich init. So I is gunna need da best”

EA

“Right, the top of the FTB range is usually something like this” <shows a nice semi with big garden>

Drug dealer

“Nah man dats b*ll*x, me mams ‘ouse is bedder dan dat an she aint got nuffin, yeah?”

“Nah man I wan’ sumat massive wid a pool an sh*t”

EA

“OK, I don’t think that’s an option for your first house”

Drug dealer

“You what? I got a carrier bag ‘ere wid £200 G’s init. What does dat get me?”

EA

“Well the first house I showed you was £245,000, so you would have to borrow another £45,000 to meet the asking price”

Drug dealer

“Nah man, you is tryin to play me. I aint no fool, I don’t borrow from nobody. F*ck this Sh!t you is craaazzzie”

PURE CLASS!!

Nice post!

:lol:

The email mentions the Wimbledon office.

I rent in a 'very desirable' area of traditional houses (not new build flats) near the river, not too far from Wimbledon.

2 years ago when I began looking at this area there wasn't a for sale sign to be seen and properties were snapped up as soon as they came on the market.

When I rented my place about 5 months ago, again there wasn't much property available - I was the first to see the place on the day it became available and said yes straight away.

Now in my street and the 2 adjoining there are now 3 or 4 'for sale signs' and a similar number of 'to rent' signs that have been there for at least a few weeks.

I think this is significant - hence still renting and not buying.

I would like to add. Father Fred's comments are fair and I think he is getting a hard time here for no reason. We know that they are talking up the market, we know that it is a 'lure' and to be honest they are no different than any other business TOUTING for business OR to CREATE FIGURES FOR PUBLICATION.

The best response is to ignore it!

The one area where they are wrong is that it is the EA's that FORCE you to register your details with them when you make your first enquiry!!! If they find that they have too many people on their books then I am sorry, its their FAULT! You cannot say they are not serious buyers because they may find a house with another estate agent.

The figures show interest, when in reality, the same person could be registered with 6 EA's and this counts as 6 times the INTEREST in buying property!

It's all about figures Im afraid! They want the figures to TRY and show HIGH INTEREST but then complain that they have TOO many 'time-wasters' on their books.

CAKE AND EAT IT??????

TB

Mags, you said...

"Why? What for?

It's a serious question..."

In response to me saying give them some credit. To me that basically says to me you have very little respect on any level for estate agents in general, or these in particular. i was merely trying to suggest that maybe they do have some idea of what they are doing. As someone who has worked in a high street EA I am certain the primary reason was to politely ditch the time-wasters, with a bit of spin thrown in to try to win over the waiverers. Their job is to sell houses for vendors, and as a vendor I'm sure you'd want their to be a little spin to help them do the job that you are paying them for.

BTW Mags you said

"Precisely. And in a healthy market there's no need for cutting dead wood - it happens naturally..."

It can. People register. They don't call regularly therefore you bin their details. BUT, they come in six months later and moan that you never call them and complain that they have to re-register. An email like this gives the serious ones a chance to call, and tells the non-serious ones cheaply and quickly why they won't be on the system when they next come in, or why they're not getting called. This is known as customer service. As someone who has worked in a high street EA I know that you need to do this otherwise people think you're rude and go to other estate agents. Surely you approve of customer service?

?...!

Your separation of facts and opinion is rubbish. There have been times when I was an agent when I sold a property with no advertising, no calls to anyone. Literally, I saw someone walking by who'd registered earlier that day, ran ouut to him, told him about it and sold it to him the next day. People who phoned me every 2 days didn't even get a look in. I believe that they are telling you how they see the market currently. They are either telling the truth or they are making it up. Anyone who knows the local market well could tell you which one it is (I don't know), but to say it is speculation is rubbish. It's the truth as they see it or rubbish.

Hunni

Agents will always leave signs for as long as possible as it is very cheap and effective advertising. To find out how long they are on the market you have to call the agents every week enquiring, or rely on their website accurately saying when it is Sold Subject To Contract (though they may not update their website as often as they should either)

Teddyboy

Thanks. And you are right, they can't force you to register just because you want to know whether the third bedroom is a double or not, or you want to know the price, and then moan that there are loads of time-wasters on their books. My boss would watch over my shoulder sometimes and I'd have to register every person who phoned. The moment he left the office at least 50% of calls would have their question answered quickly, a quick chat and a "see you later", if they're serious they'll ask to be registered.

The only way you can judge the market is by land reg figures or constant talking to agents you can trust (there are some) or by constant enquiring about individual properties, indicating you'd be tempted at 20% asking price and seeing if "they're sold", "still available but you'd better be prepared to pay close to asking" or "please come and see now and offer anything you want, we ain't had a viewing for 2 years!" You can't judge the market by numbers of boards, asking prices or Halifax predicting 10% growth next year.

FF