Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Does anyone do any Deagostini subscriptions?

Recommended Posts

I used to collect "Nam" magazines

a 100 odd collection of monthly Vietnam war magazines £9:99 a month, i have the full collection in the loft, i was 15 and thought it was the coolest thing ever back in 1991. 

(then came the internet) 

Nothing like reading about Viet Cong ambushes and MACV SOG when your a spotty teenager lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, workingpoor said:

I used to collect "Nam" magazines

a 100 odd collection of monthly Vietnam war magazines £9:99 a month, i have the full collection in the loft, i was 15 and thought it was the coolest thing ever back in 1991. 

(then came the internet) 

Nothing like reading about Viet Cong ambushes and MACV SOG when your a spotty teenager lol

 

Always best to be prepared when you are waiting for the 8.20AM No. 37 bus. Those Viet Cong could be very sneaky.

I never mastered airfix models - the glue always outsmarted me and I ended up with glue all over the plastic and all over my fingers. I think it was Doctor Who alien gunk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, workingpoor said:

I used to collect "Nam" magazines

a 100 odd collection of monthly Vietnam war magazines £9:99 a month, i have the full collection in the loft, i was 15 and thought it was the coolest thing ever back in 1991. 

(then came the internet) 

Nothing like reading about Viet Cong ambushes and MACV SOG when your a spotty teenager lol

I had a collection of natural history magazines they (or somebody similar) did in the late 70's, went on for years and ended up as 10 volumes. 

My dad* was doing a book binding course at the time and so they doubled up as a project for him to do. Must be the only set in the world bound in the finest calfskin, marble papers and gold edging. Think it took him the best part for 3 years.

* He was already a master craftsman in the leather industry, so not some bodge job. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dave Beans said:

This is the latest one they promote - a 1/8th E-Type with....wait for it..working lights...

https://www.deagostini.com/uk/collections/build-jaguar-e-type/

Only £900 from start to finish...

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that most of those DeAgostini part work magazines (build the Hanging Gardens of Babylon with matchsticks etc) never actually complete their entire publication run. Sales are high at first but gradually drop off until they have to close the title down. 

Traditionally they were always advertised on TV in January, when the rates were cheapest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the likes of caterham have missed a trick by not offering this sort of service to the budding home builder.

They deliver your first consignment of parts and when you have those assembled you get the next stage delivered and so on until you have the full car built.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Expanding said:

I remember those pannini football stickers at school. Kids must have spent hundreds on a sticker album...

 

I remember the '86 World Cup ones especially...All the boys at school used to swap between themselves...Its all ruddy Pokemon these days...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought quite a few of their first magazine issue of each run as they had a lot of bonuses, issue two free and suchlike, so were actually good value and a decent read.

As I could however use a calculator so could work out that it would cost me £300 to assemble a plastic model of the Golden Hind that I could buy for £20 I never bought the next one but waited for the new series to buy the first issue again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that most of those DeAgostini part work magazines (build the Hanging Gardens of Babylon with matchsticks etc) never actually complete their entire publication run. Sales are high at first but gradually drop off until they have to close the title down. 

Traditionally they were always advertised on TV in January, when the rates were cheapest. 

I thought they were always advertised in January to pick up the 'new year, new me' crowd looking for a hobby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that most of those DeAgostini part work magazines (build the Hanging Gardens of Babylon with matchsticks etc) never actually complete their entire publication run. Sales are high at first but gradually drop off until they have to close the title down. 

Traditionally they were always advertised on TV in January, when the rates were cheapest. 

I'd suggest that if they tried "Build Your Own Fully-Functional VR Sex-Robot", it might buck that trend...

;)

 

XYY

                                                                                                               

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Expanding said:

I remember those pannini football stickers at school. Kids must have spent hundreds on a sticker album...

 

Pretty sure I didn't spend hundreds on them, but I still have complete albums from 1968-69, and every season up to 1975-76. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

I'd suggest that if they tried "Build Your Own Fully-Functional VR Sex-Robot", it might buck that trend...

You'd have to leave certain 'parts' until the end to make sure people kept buying the magazine wouldn't you. Leave the best till last and all that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

You'd have to leave certain 'parts' until the end to make sure people kept buying the magazine wouldn't you. Leave the best till last and all that.

The wrist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never understood assembling things from kits of preformed parts. i) why would a manufacturer make a kit when they could make the completed object and ii) why would anyone buy a kit when they could buy a completed object?, the only skill it seems is to be able to squeeze the end of a tube of glue and stick bits together.

I can understand making something from scratch. I knew a RC plane enthusiast that shaped all the parts himself from scale plans he made. He built amazing WWI biplanes (~8ft wing span) and the RC club he led used to put on dogfight shows in the summer that drew big holiday crowds. The planes had smoke canisters and bomb bays that used to drop tubes of smarties with parachutes for the children to catch; that was all in  the 70s and the club disbanded when he died.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, mooncat69 said:

That's round the corner from me. I can pop in after work!

Watch your back, it's not like a laptop, old knowledge is really heavy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, LiveinHope said:

I have never understood assembling things from kits of preformed parts. i) why would a manufacturer make a kit when they could make the completed object and ii) why would anyone buy a kit when they could buy a completed object?, the only skill it seems is to be able to squeeze the end of a tube of glue and stick bits together.

I can understand making something from scratch. I knew a RC plane enthusiast that shaped all the parts himself from scale plans he made. He built amazing WWI biplanes (~8ft wing span) and the RC club he led used to put on dogfight shows in the summer that drew big holiday crowds. The planes had smoke canisters and bomb bays that used to drop tubes of smarties with parachutes for the children to catch; that was all in  the 70s and the club disbanded when he died.

 

 

I guess you eat a lot of ready meals.

I wouldn't want to make models from kits as an adult but I certainly enjoyed them as a child. One particular large model, I had as a child, thanks to the marvel of the internet, I immediately found a youtube video of someone showing the parts in that came in the box. It was like some weird disturbance in the matrix where as soon as I saw the plastic parts I instantly recalled them and it was like I was back there, at the dining room table, on a wet Sunday afternoon.

The carpet bombing small children with Smarties does sound very cool.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I guess you eat a lot of ready meals.

I wouldn't want to make models from kits as an adult but I certainly enjoyed them as a child. One particular large model, I had as a child, thanks to the marvel of the internet, I immediately found a youtube video of someone showing the parts in that came in the box. It was like some weird disturbance in the matrix where as soon as I saw the plastic parts I instantly recalled them and it was like I was back there, at the dining room table, on a wet Sunday afternoon.

The carpet bombing small children with Smarties does sound very cool.

 

 

I wouldn't buy sliced carrots or ready mashed potatoes, or any other prepped veg. GF buys prepped but then she's a chef. I do catch all my seafood and meat, with the exception of the occasional piece of sirloin :-)

The tubes of smarties were the end of the display, they often had 8 planes chasing each other in close combat, they were very skillful RC pilots. The fly past at the end saw the tubes of smarties drifting down. The displays were weekly in the summer school hols on an evening in a farmers field, weather permitting. They were free and attended by ~50-100 people. A sign used to be put up on the gate "Display tomorrow night". You probably couldn't do it now in case a tube of smarties hit a kid in the eye, and the insurance (there wasn't any then) would probably be prohibitive. I never remember any accidents. The planes were works of art, their attention to detail was incredible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   28 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.