House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One-percent

God's own country

Just a thought and it might not gain traction, but it seems to me that those from god's own, or who at the very least have ties to it are heavily represented on here and thought I would do a very unscientific survey 

ill start.  I'm from god's own country 

Leeds.

But you start to think that everyone that you meet comes from Yorkshire. Mainly because within 2 minutes of meeting a Yorkshire person they tell you where they come from. No one else does this.

My wife used to tell me off for it. She said given my plummy Surrey accent it made me look like a tw@t.

County Durham.

The epitome of "God's Own" - for those who truly understand the meaning of this much over-used phrase...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

I pulled a fat lass in a pub in Leeds once on New Years Eve and saw her babbies.  Does that count?

24 minutes ago, honkydonkey said:

I used to think this was Wales, but I'm led to believe it's Yorkshire correct?

I'm from neither. But think Wales suits the term better. ;-)

Oh dear :rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Wouldn't this be better as a poll? Do you count those from the south?

Yours,

East Riding

Well clearly not, there is no such thing as south riding. Southern namby pambys the lot 

18 minutes ago, CunningPlan said:

Leeds.

But you start to think that everyone that you meet comes from Yorkshire. Mainly because within 2 minutes of meeting a Yorkshire person they tell you where they come from. No one else does this.

My wife used to tell me off for it. She said given my plummy Surrey accent it made me look like a tw@t.

That really had me laughing out loud. I'm from Yorkshire me.  Yep, it is an irritating trait and one that I often do  

37 minutes ago, honkydonkey said:

I used to think this was Wales, but I'm led to believe it's Yorkshire correct?

I'm from neither. But think Wales suits the term better. ;-)

Well it's the land of my fathers.

But it is God's own country as well.  I'm afraid that Yorkshire is only God's own county.

8 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

I grew up in Surrey and have lived in Godzone for 30 years. Managed not to catch a Yorkshire accent ;-)

You incomer you.  Does anyone talk to you?  :)

Just now, One-percent said:

We clearly will not speak again.  Ever. :)

In my defense I'm not from here originally. Moved up about four years ago from an area that is supposed to be one of England's most aspirational AONB's but I personally don't think it was even in the same ballpark as The Dales or The Lake District or even The Forest of Bowland.

It's lovely up here.  :)

2 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

In my defense I'm not from here originally. Moved up about four years ago from an area that is supposed to be one of England's most aspirational AONB's but I personally don't think it was even in the same ballpark as The Dales or The Lake District or even The Forest of Bowland.

It's lovely up here.  :)

Take a trip across the Pennines , it's even lovelier. T'ord spot (whitby) is a good place when the little one is a bit older. 

Just now, hotairmail said:

I consider places like Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Lincolnshire and southern County Durham as part of Greater Yorkshire.....like the Yorkshire TV boundary.

I'm not sure we could afford a wall to encompass all of that 

to add, Yorkshire tv is a bit of a misnomer. Large bits of the top end of Yorkshire are shoved in with Tyne tees tv.  Maybe it says more about the London centric view of the BBC than anything else 

4 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Take a trip across the Pennines , it's even lovelier. T'ord spot (whitby) is a good place when the little one is a bit older. 

I will check it out! 

Whitby is also the setting of a program on Cbeebies that Pvt Hartman loves. Taking him there will result in ultimate Dad points.

58 minutes ago, wherebee said:

I pulled a fat lass in a pub in Leeds once on New Years Eve and saw her babbies.  Does that count?

Depends.

Was she called Debbie - and did she claim to originate from Hartlepool...?

XYY

1 minute ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I will check it out! 

Whitby is also the setting of a program on Cbeebies that Pvt Hartman loves. Taking him there will result in ultimate Dad points.

Wasn't about Dracula was it?  I've missed that one. 

It's called 'Old Jack's Boat' starring Bernard Cribbins. It's mind numbingly tedious, the child's equivalent of being stuck talking to the pub bore. It just about sends me into a coma.

He loves it though, and Whitby looks good so we'll check it out (though Mr Cribbins will be told to put a fecking sock in it if we bump into him).

5 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

I consider places like Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Lincolnshire and southern County Durham as part of Greater Yorkshire.....like the Yorkshire TV boundary.

Now that is an interesting, if somewhat geeky subject.

Up until Yorkshire TV got shafted by the IBA in 1974, in British West Hartlepool, our dual-standard TV could get Tyne-Tees from Pontop Pike on 405 VHF - and Yorkshire from Bilsdale on 625 UHF.

If I remember my IBA history correctly, Anglia were also the victims of a similar transmitter shafting a few years earlier.

Fascinating story the history of the ITV franchises - and Lew Grade certainly made a packet out of them...!

XYY