House Price Crash Forum

IMDB scraps message boards

HOLA441

Calamity! Those boards were my go-to after watching any thought-provoking film - dead as of Feb 19 - citing "trolls".

I believe they are not the only major site to take the step of extinguishing their forums. It seems that the effort of moderating content in the current anti-free-speech social environment is deemed too onerous and time-consuming. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/imdb-shut-down-discussion-boards-971905

HOLA442
HOLA443

IMDB was only useful due to public input.  

Another provider that has, I think, massively failed to understand it's business model.

HOLA444
14 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Another provider that has, I think, massively failed to understand it's business model.

In the past maybe, it's now become the internet standard for film information and so I've no doubt the studios have been doing the updates for a fair while. 

Not that I disagree generally though, shot themselves in the foot. It was the only reason I ever went on there, pretty sure they have been dropping the comments sections from their various web apps without fan fair prior to this. 

HOLA445
HOLA446

I only go to IMDB to check the score and if I can't figure out where I've seen an actor before. I would not write comments.

I will base watching a series or movie on the IMDB score. Less than 7, never watch stuff as a rule of thumb. 

HOLA447
HOLA448

I've been wondering why whenever I go to IMDB now I can't find the boards - I assumed that they'd moved the link and I was just being thick.

The boards were the only bloody reason I went to IMDB.

HOLA449

I've never used the forums there. I mainly use IMDB to keep track of what I've already seen and what I might want to watch in future. I do occasionally look at the user reviews if I see something particularly good or bad.

50 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I will base watching a series or movie on the IMDB score. Less than 7, never watch stuff as a rule of thumb. 

A while back we decided to ignore the ratings before we saw a film if the other suggested it to watch. We've seen some absolute crap as a consequence, but there have been some gems.

HOLA4410
2 hours ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Calamity! Those boards were my go-to after watching any thought-provoking film - dead as of Feb 19 - citing "trolls".

I believe they are not the only major site to take the step of extinguishing their forums. It seems that the effort of moderating content in the current anti-free-speech social environment is deemed too onerous and time-consuming. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/imdb-shut-down-discussion-boards-971905

It's a conspiracy to eliminate freedom of speech: eliminate the fora that allow it...QED. :mellow:

HOLA4411

It was always a mess of a site. Despite being one of the first internet sites it always looked a mess, looked dated for many years after the internet got its act together and now the site is just a crowded mess. The forums appear to have been deliberately hidden away.

Can I login using my Amazon account or not yet?

I suspect Amazon have some Amazon Prime plans going forward.

HOLA4412

It occurred to me the other day - what would happen in this board were to suddenly disappear? We don't have any other means of communicating with each other and it would be a big loss if we couldn't re-group. Perhaps we need an emergency mailing list!

HOLA4413
46 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

It occurred to me the other day - what would happen in this board were to suddenly disappear? We don't have any other means of communicating with each other and it would be a big loss if we couldn't re-group. Perhaps we need an emergency mailing list!

Yes, a vacant board might be prepped for SHTF with some free BB provider, if such still exist.

HOLA4414
1 minute ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Yes, a vacant board might be prepped for SHTF with some free BB provider, if such still exist.

You're right Nicey - and we need a cunning contingency plan for these circumstances.

Maybe in the event of a shutdown, we should all agree to gatecrash one of the forums we don't like - Mumsnet maybe, or that nasty BTL one that Venger loves to troll...?

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

HOLA4415
2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Boards / forums used to be desperate to get posts / users to generate more traffic.

It's amazing that they're now seen as a nuisance!

Are you a nuisance Mr "4 warning points"?

HOLA4416
11 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

How about - I set up an email address especially for this, we all make a note of it, then in a doomsday scenario we can all send an email to that address and form a little mailing list from which we can sort out the location of the 'next' HPC board. No need to set up a new board while we don't need one!

HOLA4417

Just thought about it a bit more, and in the event of a shutdown, I will register on mumsnet using the moniker "Mrs XYY" as my user-name.

So we are not rumbled, I will also adopt a suitable disguise...

MrsXYY.jpg

Mrs XYY

The cat's scratchpole is not the place to stash a kipper - Danish proverb

HOLA4418
2 hours ago, wherebee said:

No disagree, it was infiltrated in later years by highly biased reviews, the scores cannot be relied anymore imo (used to be able to).

The boards are particuarly bad. One film in particular, which had a really cruddy twist ending, I'm absolutely certain was infiltrated by people connected to the film. Whenever anyone made a fair critique of the film it was met by a fierce, vile in fact, response where the reviewer was called a total idiot & a lot worse for not "getting" the plot twist.

You're better off trusting individual reviewers and making them "friends", (can you do that?) and going there. Don't trust the overall score, even if you are dilligent & divide it by the number of reviews or sample a number of the reviewers to see if they have a high enough review count.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

In fairness to IMDB, it's still a lot more "open" than most commercial websites. It's fairly easy to add data such as actors, locations and keywords via the website. If I wanted to create a house-price-crash keyword and start tagging relevant films and TV shows with it, I could. I'm struggling to think of any at present.

It's also possible to download most of the data as a set of huge, bizarrely-formatted text files for off line use.

HOLA4421
10 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

:D

Christ on a bike, I got a shock when I saw that.

Will set you up a POF profile now and we'll find you a nice man.

Aye - but since I'm playing a nice lady, there'll be no smut involved.

Well, not on the first date anyway...

;)

XYY

HOLA4422
3 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

Yes I was shocked as well - I must have written hundreds of thousands of words on there! And to be honest, does anyone visit imdb for any other reason?

However, somebody has preserved the boards as a going concern: https://moviechat.org/movies/general/posts/58a28ce74dcf9300116f391d

Nice one! you saved the day.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
8 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

HPC Regroup email is:

JoeDavolaHPC [at] gmail.com

Hopefully we'll never need to use it!

'ello Nighthawk, 'ello Nighthawk.

Can we please spam, er I mean *test* your emergency broadcast network tonight then Joe...?

XYY

Archived