House Price Crash Forum

The penny has to drop soon

HOLA441

Take this house ...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62175908.html

sold in July 2016 for £310k. The new owner (foreign investor) gave it a lick of paint and put on sale for £60k more!  So 5 months later, no sale .... Id be surprised if they even get the £310k now, let alone break even after 8 months of council tax/insurance/mtg payments.

HOLA442
HOLA443
19 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

If that's a 4 bedroom house I'm a banana. More like 2 bedrooms and a box room.

A mere £150k per bedroom. In a sane world that whole house would be £100k or so.

Its 3 bed plus the garage which can be used as a bedroom. if you're a nutter.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
49 minutes ago, nome said:

The penny certainly isn't dropping for the deluded f***wits on this thread on MSE...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5456214&page=69#topofpage

They even get the mods to remove any comments that dare to suggest their properties may be overpriced, no matter how polite and diplomatically you say it.

I thought this little exchange was a doozey

• 14th Mar 17, 3:04 PM
  •  
Welcome Daisyboyd.

Estate agent emailed with "someone wants to view but it is 20k over his budget".

Clearly he can't afford it then. I see no point negotiating with people BEFORE they have viewed.
Originally posted by smallholdingsister
We've had one potential buyer that did exactly the same thing, said our house was above their budget, but still wanted to look around!! eusa_wall.gif

HOLA4411
7 minutes ago, knock out johnny said:

I thought this little exchange was a doozey

• 14th Mar 17, 3:04 PM
  •  
Welcome Daisyboyd.

Estate agent emailed with "someone wants to view but it is 20k over his budget".

Clearly he can't afford it then. I see no point negotiating with people BEFORE they have viewed.
Originally posted by smallholdingsister
We've had one potential buyer that did exactly the same thing, said our house was above their budget, but still wanted to look around!! eusa_wall.gif

Why you don't disclose your budget to EAs....

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

That worthing house is just horrible.  ticky tacky boxes.

I look at the victorian housing stock - built for the poor/lower classes - and think how far the Uk has fallen in terms of aspiration.

HOLA4414
1 hour ago, wherebee said:

That worthing house is just horrible.  ticky tacky boxes.

I look at the victorian housing stock - built for the poor/lower classes - and think how far the Uk has fallen in terms of aspiration.

My house - built in the 1950s but modelled on 1930s plans - is perhaps a 3rd bigger than that barely adequate house presumably built before 2000 (where newbuilds go from relatively poor like that house to almost uniformaly absolutely poor in size, layout, and materials).

Overpriced land forced housing to get ever more boxier and more tinny. A lot of recent houses built to more humane dimensions and with reasonable build quality sacrifice gardens.

Edited by Big Orange

HOLA4415
8 hours ago, Kiwi_Muncher said:

Oi! don't diss my bedroom.  Nuffing rOnG wif a garage with a bed...  at least not in today's world.

Advert says: book your free property valuation today.  EA's under pressure, lose business if you drop the sellers jaw on price.  Nice paint, I like green, sounds like greed if say it looooong and forget the "n".  I can speak whale as well.

HOLA4416

I love that thread on MSE... how deluded must they be, as if obsessive cleaning will miraculously get the house sold despite the bubble prices. They basically sneer at buyers like they are morons who should be thankful they got to cross the threshold of their overpriced homes. They are the sort of people I won't feel sorry for if a crash comes

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Just paid £320 for a new alternator on a 2004 Honda Jazz ("Ouch").

I got chatting to the lady at the till (at 7pm, she was in there at 7.30am this Morning). Her fella has a business in Winchester and she works two jobs. They are saving for a deposit for a mortgage. I told her where I am currently renting and she aspires to live there but cannot afford it - she actually said "ouch!". We live in a tiny, semi-detached 850ft2, 3 bed house in a really dull street, right on the outskirts of Winchester. Mix of Young families and oldies.

Most of the street is (aspiring) middle-class, albeit cannot afford to do anything other than pay off the mortgage and monthly bills but there are some really amusing juxtapositions. Brand new pair of Mercs on one driveway, the attached house has a refuse collection flat bed on it - a really tatty house. These houses are going for 450K in poor repair. If they have been extended and updated, whack 100k-150k on top. It is utterly insane. These were starter houses in the mid-sixties for low income families.

BONKERS BONKERS BONKERS.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
9 hours ago, Kiwi_Muncher said:

Notice how the EA has took the picture the opposite way from the garage door?

What they tend to do now on garage conversions is leave the door in situ, then add some stud wall, sell it as some shoe box storage(ie garage) plus extra bedroom, saves expensive bricks, windows and insulation, can stick 50k on the asking, win win win win!

Edited by GreenDevil

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I've mentioned it before but I don't think the ramping will stop. Psychologically it's impossible for them to pull back and take a 'breather', each new listing has to smash the previous record, absolutely must. Some may start reducing after a few weeks whilst others just sit their indulging their fantasies and delusions. It's also probably the reason why property bubbles never plateau nor unwind slowly. It's full on ramping all the way until it bursts in a hideous manner.

One thing that the current impasse has shown me is never ever buy a crap house just for the sake it. You really can get stuck with them until death do us part. Even in nice areas I'm seeing crap houses sticking around for years, and that's in manic London. 

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, GreenDevil said:

Notice how the EA has took the picture the opposite way from the garage door?

What they tend to do now on garage conversions is leave the door in situ, then add some stud wall, sell it as some shoe box storage(ie garage) plus extra bedroom, saves expensive bricks, windows and insulation, can stick 50k on the asking, win win win win!

Garages converted into bedrooms is one of my hobbyhorses!!  But I've never seen one like that, they couldn't even be bothered to replace the original garage door (does it still open?) with a few bricks and a window.  Insulation? Nah.

HOLA4424
10 hours ago, Dorkins said:

That box room (photo 10) looks absolutely tiny, I wonder if you can fit a 6 foot long bed in there.

9ft 7 by 6ft 5.  Below the minimum size for a single bedroom in an HMO (but of course this is a family home, not an HMO).

https://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/guides/room-sizes-for-houses-in-multiple-occupation.shtml

Pythagoras' theorem comes in useful for fitting bed into a room of this size.  As long as the door opens outwards....

HOLA4425

That MSE thread is almost worth a separate topic of its own. It's interesting to see both sides of the story, here and that (of presumably the wider public) on there.

Trying to remain objective, I find it difficult to understand why people get snotty at the suggestion that, if you aren't getting offers at a house at x price, or all of your received offers are at x-10%, then perhaps the house isn't worth as much as you think it is?

And also the person saying it's best to buy now before interest rates increase due to Brexit (their prediction). Well, if that comes to pass, surely the aftermath of that storm would be the chance of a lifetime to buy NOT before? Rising interest rates will (hopefully) only do one thing for these obscene prices. Do people not learn from history at all?

Edited by btd1981
Edited for Swype