House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Best current on all the time free antivirus?

I use Spybot periodically but want an on all the time one.

Not AVG as that is what I had and the last update wrecked my PC so badly that auto repair didn't work and I had to reinstall windows.

My default would be Avast as I have that on my phone but I'm aware that they now own AVG.

Mr Tulip is being facetious.;)

2 hours ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows. It's not resource-hungry like the 3rd-party alternatives but does the same job.

+1 for MSE

I hate to admit it, but the Microsoft one is absolutely fine.:huh: I generally don't like Microsoft.

5 hours ago, Senny Pijama said:

Another vote for MSE. Built in to Windows 10 already, if you have that.

Does that mean it's on by default? I'll have a poke about anyway but may leave it to the weekend. MSE sounds like the one.

Thanks all.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Does that mean it's on by default? I'll have a poke about anyway but may leave it to the weekend. MSE sounds like the one.

Thanks all.

I've been using AVG for what must be getting on 20 years now and never had any problems with it.

I've been using Avast for years, never caused me any problems, and it does work (a couple of weeks ago I very carefully investigated a file someone sent me purporting to be an invoice, and it nipped it in the bud quick smart before it could do anything).

I've bought a cheap refurbished laptop recently, just for internet use. Have been thinking the same thing about best free antivirus.

It's W 8.1 and I am using the preinstalled Windows Defender/ Windows Firewall programmes. Are these sufficient? They don't seem fashionable. Never hear much about them.

Any feedback on these? Good or bad.

If not, I would probably go with AVG again - I ran that on my last cheap laptop, until I spilt a pint of beer down it and the electrics went crazy!

Another vote for Avast here - just go through the Settings and disable all sorts of sh*t that is superfluous, like adding signatures to emails.

I use Avast but get irritated by its not all that occasional attempts to push Chrome on me. It once did it without even an obscure tickbox, which is the behaviour of the sort of software it's supposed to be stopping.