House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Options for heating systems

Its possible the house we eventually/hopefully buy will need central heating fitting.  If you were fitting a heating system from scratch what would it be? My main concern is cost of installation/running for 25 years ish.  Is there anything much better than a combi boiler and wall mounted boilers?

I've got a air source heat pump.  It is, of course, pretty rubbish on the coldest of days, but most of the time it manages to heat the house okay.  

But, if you've got a well insulated home they can do okay, and they're cheap to install (well, they're cheap to install so long as you buy one yourself and install it yourself / use a cheap plumber / electrician.  If you want the special credits then it is a completely different calculation as you pretty much have to use an expensive installer).

Oh dear God no - someone mentioned house-heating again...!

Get ready for eight pages of "We burn sun-dried babies-nappies in the Aga - while the wood-burner deals with the compacted dog-shit pellets produced by Fido and Trixibelle"...

:(

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

I don't know about systems but were I to be shopping for one, I'd make certain that I could switch it on and off using my phone even when I am a hundred miles away.

Its such a "killer app" that how we ever managed without this functionality must surely be one of the big questions of our time, up there with "just why is it that all the people featured in the Postcode Lottery adverts look so rough?"

Hope this helps.

Modern gas combi boilers aren't meant to last that long (20 years). If you have a small house i'd consider electric heating.

id personally love a log stove.

26 minutes ago, Expanding said:

Modern gas combi boilers aren't meant to last that long (20 years). If you have a small house i'd consider electric heating.

id personally love a log stove.

but electrickery is 3x the price of gas for the same heating value, so even with a new boiler every ten years, gas works out cheaper.

1 hour ago, dgul said:

I've got a air source heat pump.  It is, of course, pretty rubbish on the coldest of days, but most of the time it manages to heat the house okay.  

But, if you've got a well insulated home they can do okay, and they're cheap to install (well, they're cheap to install so long as you buy one yourself and install it yourself / use a cheap plumber / electrician.  If you want the special credits then it is a completely different calculation as you pretty much have to use an expensive installer).

Did you manage to charge it yourself? What refrigerant are you running?

52 minutes ago, Millaise said:

Did you manage to charge it yourself? What refrigerant are you running?

It came fully charged & sealed.  Just needed to plumb and wire it in.

I have to reiterate, it isn't that good -- it works out as a bit more expensive than oil, but it didn't require stupid oftec installers (and their expensive boilers), a replacement oil tank, and doesn't require annual inspection to keep the insurers happy.

[but, note, I don't get any subsidy for it -- if you want that then you'll have to pay a gazillion pounds to an accredited installer just to get the paperwork sorted -- and then make back a gazillion-and-one pounds over the next 20 years.]

[I'd also note that if I was planning to sell the place in the next 10 years or so I'd just pay out for an oil or gas system, as house-buyers are usually really risk averse and that would be the lowest risk solution for them]

Combi boilers are not up to the job of heating and providing hot water for anything much bigger than a 1 bedroom flat, hence why they fail so quickly and provide uneven levels of hot water even when "working". Boiler engineers like them because they're quick and easy to install, not so good for the occupants.

A better solution suggested by another HPCer (sorry, I don't have the link) is:

"Much better off with a well insulated cylinder (with the added benefit of an immersion for back up) and 12-18KW Condensing Boiler than a 35-40KW Combi"

My boiler is on its way out. Mr plumber is coming round today!

7 hours ago, DTMark said:

I don't know about systems but were I to be shopping for one, I'd make certain that I could switch it on and off using my phone even when I am a hundred miles away.

Its such a "killer app" that how we ever managed without this functionality must surely be one of the big questions of our time, up there with "just why is it that all the people featured in the Postcode Lottery adverts look so rough?"

Hope this helps.

A bigger question with the postcode lottery is how did a phrase originally coined as a metaphor for differing NHS treatment geographically spawn some kind of actual lottery. I hope the operators never come across the phrase Russian Roulette, in future.

9 hours ago, Kiwi_Muncher said:

Its possible the house we eventually/hopefully buy will need central heating fitting.  If you were fitting a heating system from scratch what would it be? My main concern is cost of installation/running for 25 years ish.  Is there anything much better than a combi boiler and wall mounted boilers?

It will all depend on the property in question. It's a bit chicken and egg tied to a piece of indeterminate length string. 

The standard solution combo and rads will cost £3-4K+ to install. And £500-1000 a year to run for a 'family' in a 'typical' house.

2 hours ago, Dorkins said:

Combi boilers are not up to the job of heating and providing hot water for anything much bigger than a 1 bedroom flat, hence why they fail so quickly and provide uneven levels of hot water even when "working". Boiler engineers like them because they're quick and easy to install, not so good for the occupants.

A better solution suggested by another HPCer (sorry, I don't have the link) is:

"Much better off with a well insulated cylinder (with the added benefit of an immersion for back up) and 12-18KW Condensing Boiler than a 35-40KW Combi"

Not that last bit is bad advice but not sure where the rest comes from. Is this your rental experience   and/or a plumber's opinion?

10 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Oh dear God no - someone mentioned house-heating again...!

Get ready for eight pages of "We burn sun-dried babies-nappies in the Aga - while the wood-burner deals with the compacted dog-shit pellets produced by Fido and Trixibelle"...

:(

ROFLMAO  :D

There are times I think you should be on stage/TV

1 hour ago, 24 year mortgage 8itch said:

Not that last bit is bad advice but not sure where the rest comes from. Is this your rental experience   and/or a plumber's opinion?

My anti-combi views are a combination of poor experiences in rental properties and Jeff Howell who used to write on property maintenance for the Telegraph. 

34 minutes ago, anonguest said:

He has more chance of getting on the ******ing news.;)

19 hours ago, Kiwi_Muncher said:

Go for a top end gas condensing boiler and insulate the house as heavily as you can. the world is awash with Natural Gas and will be for decades. Put what you save into a decent solar PV system

Log burning stoves are a recipe for tennis elbow and COPD. ASHP a waste of time. If you are not the Gas network and have the money to invest a GSHP might be worth some consideration as a long term investment.

8 hours ago, anonguest said:

7 hours ago, MrPin said:

He has more chance of getting on the ******ing news.;)

Well obviously neither of you two ever tune-in to "Crimewatch" or "Police 5" then...!

;)

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

18 hours ago, Millaise said:

but electrickery is 3x the price of gas for the same heating value, so even with a new boiler every ten years, gas works out cheaper.

Previous owners fitted the cheapest, s**test boiler in my place in 2005. From 2011 to 2016 it got no love, no idea if the previous occupier serviced it. Was replaced in 2016 for £1800 all in. I'm sure if you didn't buy an Ideal ICOS and had it serviced it would last quite a bit longer... many come with 7+ year warranties if they are serviced too. Gas is still the way to go imho unless you are in it for the long haul and have the land for ground source.