House Price Crash Forum
Wayward

Pressure builds for Help to Rent scheme

Comment on the Feb 2017 RICS resi report...

This survey highlights the uphill battle many homeless people face when trying to enter the private rented sector. Renting is often the only way out of homelessness, but the vast majority of landlords now consider it too risky to rent to homeless people. This is a desperate situation to be in: to be ready to move on and start rebuilding your life only to encounter financial barriers and closed doors.

With growing numbers of people stuck in this homelessness trap, we need to find ways to reassure landlords whilst supporting homeless people to find a place to live. That’s why Crisis’ Home: No Less Will Do campaign is calling on the Government to underwrite a national rent deposit guarantee to ensure more support is made available to those trying to find a home to rent. They already help first-time buyers struggling for a deposit - we’d like to see them extend this help to those who need it most.
Crisis CEO, Jon Sparkes

...and RICS comment...

We see this as a matter of public interest. The housing market is falling increasingly out of step with the majority of household incomes. In the current climate, it can be hard enough for young professionals to make ends meet. But for those on benefits, the pressures may be insurmountable.

Worryingly our figures show that as a result of a combination of economic pressures, more and more vulnerable tenants are being pushed out of the private rented sector. However, if Government were to put in place additional support measures through the introduction of help to rent schemes, the door to the rental market may once again be opened for Britain’s most vulnerable.

Sean Tompkins, RICS Chief Executive Officer 8 March

Seems to me this market distortion will put upwards pressure on rents and increase quality of tenant pool for landlords (ie reduce risk for landlord) a win-win for landlords.  Am I too cynical?

With regard to homeless people it sounds exactly what government owned housing should be for. Private business has deemed it too risky and it's a welfare state matter.

Help to Rent should be renamed Landlord Subsidy.

Sweden has some pretty terrible waiting times to get a rental.

Sometimes it can take years depending where.

However... there are plenty of empty properties in the UK and this Mr Sparkes & Mr Tompkins of RICS talking sh1te.

The homeless figures have doubled since the rent payments where stopped going direct to the landlord ! 

Small private landlords couldn't take the risk of not getting paid so stopped renting to unemployed ! 

Terrible move by the government of the time ! The cost of B&B to the tax payer has been huge.

The cost to the families forced into temporary B&B accommodation has been worse.

Once the big corporate boys enter therental  market the law will be repealed ! 

7 minutes ago, PSP said:

The homeless figures have doubled since the rent payments where stopped going direct to the landlord ! 

Small private landlords couldn't take the risk of not getting paid so stopped renting to unemployed ! 

Terrible move by the government of the time ! The cost of B&B to the tax payer has been huge.

The cost to the families forced into temporary B&B accommodation has been worse.

PSP mate, I think you're trying a bit too hard

7 hours ago, PSP said:

Yes ..... The homeless has gone up. Half the homeless in the places I visit are EEers.

Nohting to do with unsubbedrents All to do with loads of drunks coming into the UK to beg.

High rents is what makes working people homeless......as long as enough people can pay the rent they ask for, why would they care how many homeless there is......Just makes the place look untidy.;)

19 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

I view any scheme with a name including the word "Help" with deep suspicion.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan.

16 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

I view any scheme with a name including the word "Help" with deep suspicion.

Help to push prices and costs up to benefit a few.....the rest help to get something could otherwise not get today, hindrance, handicap tomorrow.......Jam today.;)

18 hours ago, Parkwell said:

With regard to homeless people it sounds exactly what government owned housing should be for. Private business has deemed it too risky and it's a welfare state matter.

Help to Rent should be renamed Landlord Subsidy.

Or, council housing.

18 hours ago, Parkwell said:

1 hour ago, dgul said:

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan.

Except the Great Obfuscator did so much helping that he very nearly tripled the national debt.

debtchart.jpg

You are not allowed show that graph.

Under new executive orders from Drumpf, the United States of America military is authorised to invade any country that permits any suggestion on any media platform that the Democrats make better leaders and that Obama may in fact  (shhhhh) have been a great president. 

4 minutes ago, duffbear said:

You are not allowed show that graph.

Under new executive orders from Drumpf, the United States of America military is authorised to invade any country that permits any suggestion on any media platform that the Democrats make better leaders and that Obama may in fact  (shhhhh) have been a great president. 

Have you bothered to check the timescales for each datum? With his 35% in less than 3 years, Obama was on pace to leave Clinton in the dust, leapfrog Bush Junior and catch up with Bush Senior.

I was in the PRS for almost 10 years before I bought my house last year. The various landlords consistently put the rent up and cared very little. Half of my wages went to the feckless lazy landlord. Or so commonly called 'property developer'. 

We should allow councils to build decent housing instead of barrett shitboxes appearing everywhere and let them keep the proceeds from right to buy sales for new house building etc. 

Say what you like about  benefit claimants, but I'd happily see people subsided for housing costs so long as we all could have affordable decent housing offered by a council or housing association instead of greedy developers/ boomers pricing out my generation. 

I think as well in 2019 the housing benefit allowance for all social properties will be capped at LHA rates?

I don't know much about social housing but I wonder do councils provide and administer HMOs...is this the solution for the 'vulnerable'?  Such rooms don't exist as far as I know?  Why should the lowest step be a flat...?  (if this is indeed the case)..Why not a room in a shared house...?  If councils provide these it will take money out of the hands of the slum landlords and could be decent humane accommodation...Proposal by RICS above would put more money in the hands of the slum landlords...

I've been into Birmingham a few times recently and the homeless problem is huge. Hundreds sleeping rough in the city centre and some even coming into pubs begging - I haven't seen that in a long time.

3 hours ago, Eddie_George said:

I've been into Birmingham a few times recently and the homeless problem is huge. Hundreds sleeping rough in the city centre and some even coming into pubs begging - I haven't seen that in a long time.

You're not kidding, Eddie. I had to catch a train from Grand Central (New Street) the other evening. First glance It looked like the pavements around the station had been soft furnished.

21 hours ago, Eddie_George said:

That's sad to read, this was all brought about by some privately educated Russel group university graduate with no real understanding of the real world who brought in a bill to stop direct payment of rent to landlords  ! As stated above in the thread a lot of people can't /won't manage their own finances so don't pay their rent and get kicked out onto the streets! 

You cant blame the landlord as if the same person went in Tesco and took stuff without paying they would get kicked out of Tesco !

People on housing benefit should have an option to have their rent paid direct to the landlord at least then they would have a roof over there head without the temptation to spend their housing allowance on other things!

For the act of  paying the rent direct to the landlord,if the landlord so chooses to take payment this way, the council should receive a 5% discount on the local housing allowance rent  for direct payment  and give the landlord free registration onto the local licencing scheme?

If this was set up landlords would sign up, a better registration of landlords would occur ,and homeless numbers would fall dramatically overnight ?