House Price Crash Forum

MSM journalist sells to rent

HOLA441

An ironic one for HPC posters who believe we're living in a giant MSM conspiracy to maintain high house prices forever ...

Evening Standard Magazine columnist brags about selling his Zone 2 Fulham two-bed and picking up a cheap deal on a rented one-bed in Marylebone. 

The guy is also editorial director of fashion retailer mrporter.com, so if anyone can set a trend ... 

HOLA442
34 minutes ago, Patient London FTB said:

An ironic one for HPC posters who believe we're living in a giant MSM conspiracy to maintain high house prices forever ...

Evening Standard Magazine columnist brags about selling his Zone 2 Fulham two-bed and picking up a cheap deal on a rented one-bed in Marylebone. 

The guy is also editorial director of fashion retailer mrporter.com, so if anyone can set a trend ... 

Does he know something that we don't. Perhaps, RTB soon coming to PRS or rents crashing down at an unprecedented level?

Edited by Fairyland

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

This Andrew Barker?

http://www.responsesource.com/bulletin/news/es-magazine-editor-departs/

Maybe he's subsequently moved on to mrporter?

He does say he's selling rather than renting out so it sounds as if he's effectively calling the top - in his opinion and at least for London.

That and/or his new job doesn't pay enough to pay the mortgage?  Unlikely. 

He might as well cut his commuting time down and get an article published by his old employer.

My gut told me it was time to sell up, step off the property ladder and live life like they do on the continent.

Edited by billybong

HOLA446

I work in the same industry as this chap and I doubt he makes much moolah from his job.

He could be onto something though, with the trend of moving back into central london, with the fact that there are going to be a lot of empty 1 bed flats as nine elms disease spreads through all the new builds along the river. But that won't happen on a meaningful scale for at least three years, if not longer. 

Chris Blackhurst at The Evening Standard suggested this could happen a couple of years back. 

HOLA447
25 minutes ago, thisisthisitmaybe said:

I work in the same industry as this chap and I doubt he makes much moolah from his job.

He could be onto something though, with the trend of moving back into central london, with the fact that there are going to be a lot of empty 1 bed flats as nine elms disease spreads through all the new builds along the river. But that won't happen on a meaningful scale for at least three years, if not longer. 

Chris Blackhurst at The Evening Standard suggested this could happen a couple of years back. 

Genius,

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

But, best of all, are my new neighbours — the French, Spanish and Italians who come out in their Moncler jackets and shoes with no socks to buy smelly cheese and wine with actual corks in them from the high-street’s independent shops. 

So he's mixing with the Monclers now and if Moncler and mrporter adverts are anything to go by they'll be quite happy to pay near £1000/£2000 for casual jackets with similar jackets costing less than £100 at some of the pricier high street shops.

I guess it's just very easy to part some people from their money especially in places like London.

https://www.mrporter.com/en-gb/mens/the_trends/retro_jackets?cm_sp=homepage-_-retrojacketsm1-_-07-03-17

Edited by billybong

HOLA4412