Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Fast Radio Bursts (FRBs) could be from Alien Laser Sails

Recommended Posts

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/03/10/mysterious-flashes-could-alien-spacecraft-workharvard-scientists/

This is very interesting work from Harvard - I agree with the basic assessment that there are no known natural phenomenon that we know that could lead to these FRBs.

We get pulsars etc, but the brief duration of FRBs and one off nature means they must becoming from something more compact than stellar scales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be.  Doubt it, though.

Actually I do like the idea that they come from alien laser sales -- In my head I imagine a green creature with tentacles pointing their high powered laser in a random direction into the sky and turning it on for a fraction of a second 'Just look at at that beam -- highest power density this side of Andromeda'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/03/10/mysterious-flashes-could-alien-spacecraft-workharvard-scientists/

This is very interesting work from Harvard - I agree with the basic assessment that there are no known natural phenomenon that we know that could lead to these FRBs.

We get pulsars etc, but the brief duration of FRBs and one off nature means they must becoming from something more compact than stellar scales.

Yeah, great. Very interesting. Harvard are enlightening the human race. No known natural phenomenon that we know of. LOL ? 

What exactly do "we" know is my question? Not a lot, IMO!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dgul said:

Might be.  Doubt it, though.

Actually I do like the idea that they come from alien laser sales -- In my head I imagine a green creature with tentacles pointing their high powered laser in a random direction into the sky and turning it on for a fraction of a second 'Just look at at that beam -- highest power density this side of Andromeda'

Yes, I did notice what might be a spelling blunder, could blame it on the Sancerre. That said, presumably some Alien Company somewhere will have "sold" some lasers to power spaceships with photon sails, so perhaps the pulses are due to the procurement orientated benchmark tests of the laser purchasing department. 

Some civil servant from the local laser purchase planning department at Alpha Centauri.

By God, they're spending too much subsiding laser powered spaceship cruises for alien pensioners.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Science clickbait.

In general terms, unknown phenomenon could turn up either by chance, with better instrumentation or by reprocessing existing data with new search parameters.

I'd say that there may be shed loads of these events already recorded and waiting to be found in datasets. If the same phenomena is being seen from multiple sources far apart, then consider it natural, even if unexplained. There is a lot to be discovered about the properties and behaviours of various stellar remnants and how they might interact with their environs. This is not an explanation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I think we know quite a lot about how things are now and how they have been for the last 10 Billion years.

 

"We" know a lot about the last 10 billion years. Really, you think that? LOL. Count me out of the "we". ? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

"We" know a lot about the last 10 billion years. Really, you think that? LOL. Count me out of the "we". ? 

Count me out too Exy.

I don't know much about the last fifteen minutes - never mind the last 10 billion years...

;)

 

 

XYY

                                                                                                               

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I like your scepticism.

Though my understanding of astrophysics is left with a huge gap!

Astrophysics is almost necessarily reactionary. Can't go to the lab and, say, smash a couple of neutron stars together, or time the 800,000 years it takes for a photon to reach the surface of the sun before crossing from that point to your eyeball in circa 8 mins. All the experiments are happening, you just have to build the detectors, and search parameters, and observe. Occasionally your eyes will do, as with nearby supernovae - imagine being alive on 4th July 1054 and seeing the moon dwarfed in by a 'new star'. 

Gamma Ray Bursters are another phenomenon- high energy, shortish duration, first observed by US instruments in the 60s I think. Initial explanations included cold-war espionage. Turned out to be much more interesting than humans screwing with each other :-)

I am far from knowledgable, but if this is a recently observed phenomenon, then we may hear a lot about it in a short time if the events have a distinctive signature which is easy to find among existing datasets (where they may have been discarded/ignored as unwanted background events). Will be interesting to see what the explanation is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Count me out too Exy.

I don't know much about the last fifteen minutes - never mind the last 10 billion years...

;)

 

 

XYY

 

                                                                                                               

 

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

 

Yes, exactly. FFS, people saying "we" know about billions of years ago really need to get into the here and now. IMO humanity is deluded in what it thinks "we" know. Thankfully I know I know sweet fu*k all! 

People really need to learn about humility in the grand scheme of things IMO.

Cheers XYY ??

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of scientists are clearly very smart. However I agree the amount us humans think we know and what we actually know is ridiculously far apart. 

I doubt we know one trillionth of a billionth of what actually goes on out there.

And that's probably being generous.

We know sweet ****** all. 

Hence why every day of my life is about having fun and not giving too much of a ******. 

The universe (Whatever that is) is my playschool. :)

Next trip already in the planning. Week in Ibiza followed by week in New Orleans.

It may well be the end of me. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ccc said:

Lots of scientists are clearly very smart. However I agree the amount us humans think we know and what we actually know is ridiculously far apart. 

I doubt we know one trillionth of a billionth of what actually goes on out there.

And that's probably being generous.

We know sweet ****** all. 

Hence why every day of my life is about having fun and not giving too much of a ******. 

The universe (Whatever that is) is my playschool. :)

Next trip already in the planning. Week in Ibiza followed by week in New Orleans.

It may well be the end of me. :D

I would make a distinction between scientist and technician. The former produce ground breaking insights the latter just do a job.

There aren't many of the former IMO! It's because humanity really doesn't know very much at all about the universe and most "scientists" just follow the generally accepted faith/dogma in the discipline.

What "we" think we know could be totally wrong. IMO this attitude of being uncritical and reluctant to say hey maybe we're doing everything wrong holds humanity back in progressing.

But perhaps that's just how our species is? Looking at history, well it seems to point to the ongoing incredible mess humans make. Follow on from what's generally accepted in science....or else.....you're excluded and denigrated. Finished, black balled and an outcast. But sometimes it's the far out ideas that bring breakthroughs. Not that I'm hopeful of being enlightened about anything...us humans are basically dumb tw*ts.

Your doing the only thing one can do. If your next trip finishes you off at least you're living it up and having a good time CCC ??

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Economic Exile said:

Yeah, great. Very interesting. Harvard are enlightening the human race. No known natural phenomenon that we know of. LOL ? 

What exactly do "we" know is my question? Not a lot, IMO!

Quite a lot actually. The implication is that there's probably a natural phenomenon that we don't know about - we know enough to know that, but right now alternatives like aliens can't be discounted. Not knowing a lot would mean not even detecting it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, RichB said:

It's the gods.

It was God.

It's the devil.

It's a ghost.

It's aliens.

 

Unless we are truly alone in the universe then eventually something will be explained by alien activity. If course if we do turn out to be alone the quite a few people might well say that the god/devil explanation is back on the cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/03/10/mysterious-flashes-could-alien-spacecraft-workharvard-scientists/

 

Quote

 

“So these signals we are receiving were created 2.5 billion years ago. 

 

So they're already here - or could be.  It would help to explain a lot.

 

Quote

It would be lovely if it was aliens.

He obviously hasn't watched some of the movies about them.

They wouldn't be so daft as to have their lasers constantly focused on earth - they would make it intermittent so that the scientists on earth would say it's too intermittent for a space ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think in this age of diversity, inclusivity and multi-cultural harmony it's only bigots and right wing fascists that would refer to these as ''aliens'',,, get with the political correctness programme people!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually it's probably me, making "radio noise" I left one on transmit all night. Those people in Poland could probably hear me snoring and farting all night. But GCHQ didn't ever send me a letter.:huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   82 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.