House Price Crash Forum

Drove past a solar farm yesterday, acres and acres of land given over to solar panels.

e.g.:

C6i-jRnU4AQy96u.jpg

A total eye sore and give we live in damp/dark UK a very odd thing to have

They cant build houses for people but they can do this !!!

They is stuck me, I have the solution to the housing crisis.

The poor and the young can sleep under these.

Job Done.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

What's wrong now?

Solar. No emissions. No moving parts. Can be tucked away behind hedges, walls, etc...

Domestic stock of panels are in the region of 20% efficiency.

50% is attainable in the more costly industrial & high end panels... and with the advancements in materials this won't be too far away from the norm on domestic stock.

Guaranteed output, innit.

Do you often travel around via hot air balloon and critique the state of the countryside?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_the_United_Kingdom#/media/File:SolarGIS-Solar-map-United-Kingdom-en.png

http://pveducation.org/pvcdrom/solar-cell-efficiency

2 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Drove past a solar farm yesterday, acres and acres of land given over to solar panels.

e.g.:

C6i-jRnU4AQy96u.jpg

A total eye sore and give we live in damp/dark UK a very odd thing to have

They cant build houses for people but they can do this !!!

They is stuck me, I have the solution to the housing crisis.

The poor and the young can sleep under these.

Job Done.

Doubt it. That looks like a photo of the corner of a model railway layout.

3 minutes ago, Shrink Proof said:

Doubt it. That looks like a photo of the corner of a model railway layout.

Perfect for the modern new build, surely?

At the moment it looks like the sheep shelter under them.  

A few of the panels supply the nearby farmhouse and the rest of the electricity sold elsewhere and justify extra eu subsidies in addition to no crop farming in those fields?

Edited by billybong

It's sickening to see solar panels on good farmland.  There are plenty of offices / factories / farm sheds / petrol station canopies they should put solar panels on first.

Fair enough putting them up in the deserts of the world where nothing can be grown, but not on British and Irish farmland.  Total planning disgrace.

I don't think that photo is real but regardless there are larger solar farms near me and I totally agree with the Count.  No doubt this absurdity has arisen due to more market distortion in our 'free market economy' - its a cruel joke.  Restricted housing provision + subsidised solar farms = more human misery for the young and poor. 

I overheard one of the mum's at our children's school talking about the biomass generator at her husbands factory and that they have to keep it running at full-capacity throughout the year to pay the school fees (feed-in tarriff) and I don't think she was joking. Apparently they get two lorry loads of chippings a week delivered, imported all the way from America. She said they weren't looking forward to the warmer weather as it'll mean opening up all the windows, doors and roof vents and still suffering. 

You couldn't make it up. A friend of ours in Ireland gave up farming and turned most of his land over to solar panels erecting massive barns to put them on. Calls himself an energy consultant now and spends most of his time travelling America... there must have been 20-30 of these buildings mostly empty save for a few offices/units available to rent.

1 hour ago, Ballyk said:

It's sickening to see solar panels on good farmland.  There are plenty of offices / factories / farm sheds / petrol station canopies they should put solar panels on first.

Fair enough putting them up in the deserts of the world where nothing can be grown, but not on British and Irish farmland.  Total planning disgrace.

Couldn't agree more. I'm a fan of solar in the right places, but we'll look back on solar on farmland as stupidity.

1 hour ago, Ballyk said:

Perhaps farmland 'could' be re-purposed... to say... farmland?

However, the land owners like subsidies, freebies and bags of free dosh.

Alternative is what? (in the context of the energy system now, and with our current food/produce logistical train)

Buy more energy from the French and Germans?

Build more nuclear plants?

Burn more hydrocarbons in the UK?

Hey... you CAN have solar cells AND farming. Just need to choose crops that don't mind shade and well designed panels.

Plus it gives beasties a place to live.

What can I say. I'm ok with it. Does it show?

Mixed feelings on solar on farmland. The feed-in tariff is pretty low now and in a few years will be non-existent.  Fields with solar can be mixed use (sheep often share them to keep the grass down) and it is likely good for biodiversity plus they are temporary.  I suspect they end up on a lot of land previously used for grazing anyhow. 

I do think every industrial estate flat roof should have solar though, but if farmers are more forward thinking than commercial rentiers...well...I can't say I'm entirely surprised.  Maybe it'll improve once the feed-in tariff goes completely. 

13 minutes ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

Mixed feelings on solar on farmland. The feed-in tariff is pretty low now and in a few years will be non-existent.  Fields with solar can be mixed use (sheep often share them to keep the grass down) and it is likely good for biodiversity plus they are temporary.  I suspect they end up on a lot of land previously used for grazing anyhow. 

I do think every industrial estate flat roof should have solar though, but if farmers are more forward thinking than commercial rentiers...well...I can't say I'm entirely surprised.  Maybe it'll improve once the feed-in tariff goes completely. 

I'd like to see them put on places like Tescos car parks. Act as shelters from the elements for the shoppers and the power could be consumed locally which is far more efficient than losing 60% in the national grid.

4 hours ago, Wayward said:

I don't think that photo is real but regardless there are larger solar farms near me and I totally agree with the Count.  No doubt this absurdity has arisen due to more market distortion in our 'free market economy' - its a cruel joke.  Restricted housing provision + subsidised solar farms = more human misery for the young and poor. 

Thanks dude. You got my point spot on.

How the f#### Jesus ever got ahead speaking in parabales is beyond me 

26 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Thanks dude. You got my point spot on.

How the f#### Jesus ever got ahead speaking in parabales is beyond me 

Jesus was the world's first management consultant - I hope he's got his tax affairs in order for when he comes back from Malta or wherever he is.

36 minutes ago, Wayward said:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/dec/19/uks-biggest-solar-farm-connects-to-national-grid

info on this link to a huge solar farm...apparently land is still used for grazing.  Old folks still get their roast lamb...young folks can house share and eat beans.

That is an ancient story from 2014 and a tiddler at 46MW. This ones newer and built on land prone to flooding that Barratt were once interested in.

UPM_SHO_SolarPark-1.jpeg

Installed capacity 72MW.

http://www.power-technology.com/news/newsforesight-solar-fund-acquires-72mw-shotwick-solar-park-5732609

1 hour ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

Some good points, but how temporary? Are panels expected to collectively become inefficient at a given point in time then  all need replacing / removing?

3 minutes ago, PropertyMania said:

If the left really cared about 1)people and 2)the environment, the UK would divert these absurd solar subsidies to installing panels in off-grid remote African villages. 

They work more efficiently as well over in sun drenched african climbs but would probably get robbed or sold for scrap.

3 hours ago, Wayward said:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/dec/19/uks-biggest-solar-farm-connects-to-national-grid

info on this link to a huge solar farm...apparently land is still used for grazing.  Old folks still get their roast lamb...young folks can house share and eat beans.

I talked recently to a  farmer with a large solar panel farm.

He said the solar farmers who claim that the land undermeath the panels can be used as sheep grazing, is a lie  / scam, as the panels shade the growth of most of the grass

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Also very bogus climate change argument for putting solar panels on UK farmland.  

Solar panels on fields = less photosynthesis by grass / other plants = less CO2 absorbed.  

Put them on roofs, or Tesco carparks, or anywhere else where there is no vegetation and you don't cut down on CO2 absorption.

59 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

How about floating solar panels on the sea? Has anyone ever tried that?

I saw a proposal to put them on Irrigation canals in India - an added benefit is that they reduce evaporation

1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

How about floating solar panels on the sea? Has anyone ever tried that?

55 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I saw a proposal to put them on Irrigation canals in India - an added benefit is that they reduce evaporation

O RLY?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3509553/World-s-largest-FLOATING-solar-farm-built-UK-reservoir-Structure-23-000-panels-power-1-800-homes.html