House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Did I dream this...barclays bank

Maybe I dreamt this.

I was watching TV and an advert for Barclays bank came on.

Something along the lines of FTBers can borrow based on your parents savings which are locked away for a period.

I must have dreamt that as no government in the world would allow a bank to act so irresponsibly to prop up house prices.

I heard the word "HELP" also.

I cannot see how this is helping anyone.

Letting houses prices collapse 60% is all the help we need.

more likely that the pound will reach parity with the dollar so housing will get cheaper for the internationals not the locals. London will still be seen as a store of value for ill-gotten gains. Life is unfair, we must work within the system. Altruism doesn't actually exist - everyone does something to better themselves, whether its to feel good, or have more assets than the crowd. In the same way, government isn't actually there to benefit you, its there to control you. Democracy is just another system which suggests you have control but its just the latest in a long line of illusions with the aim of giving the masses just enough to work, eat, sleep, have babies and die. With robots on the horizon, will the elites bother with people with no skills anymore? They might give them a small basic income just to not complain (i.e the benefits system)

House prices are the least of the youth's worries.

I think it was the evening standard that interviewed a renting family who criticised the budget for not increasing the coverage of htb London.

30 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Maybe I dreamt this.

Something along the lines of FTBers can borrow based on your parents savings which are locked away for a period.

I must have dreamt that as no government in the world would allow a bank to act so irresponsibly to prop up house prices.

I suppose it's good news in a way - there's only so many props they can throw at a market. In a way it's a reflection of how desperate they are to keep the show on the road, if the market was heading one way forever there would be no need for props and the more desperate the props is a reflection of how few options they have left.

Surely it can't be long now, lol. Also my parents would not let me do this - I think they know their savings would be gone before too long

3 minutes ago, Si1 said:

I think it was the evening standard that interviewed a renting family who criticised the budget for not increasing the coverage of htb London.

You couldn't make it up...of you could you :lol: 

Anyway, did I dream it, or has anyone seen such an advert ?

the bankers adverts are sick.  They are pretending t o be helping people whilst getting them into massive un-affordable sub-prime debt.

Government = They are pretending to be helping people whilst getting [US] them into massive un-affordable sub-prime debt [and walking away with their contact book and gold plated pensions]

Is that advert from  Barclays' US headquarters or haven't they made that move yet that they threatened to do if they didn't get their own way again.

Edited by billybong

49 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Maybe I dreamt this.

I heard the word "HELP" also.

I cannot see how this is helping anyone.

Letting houses prices collapse 60% is all the help we need.

Yeah, I saw that a few days ago, sort of an enhanced personal guarantee.

The Cameron/Osborne government would have considered any action to prop up house prices as highly responsible and I have yet to be convinced that May/Hammond are any different.

Edit:

http://www.barclays.co.uk/mortgages/family-springboard-mortgage

Edited by Bruce Banner

28 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Yes I saw that , IIRC they wanted help to buy on all properties not just new ones ..just crazy .Also even though they complained about prices they where already thinking ahead and commenting on when they buy they are concerned about prices not going up enough FFS 

The UK banks don't like taking the slightest risk.  Everything has to be twice covered and twice backed by others.  Those politicians like Osborne that go along with that level of ineptness are very well rewarded by the financial sector.  It's a system that's totally corrupt of course.

Edited by billybong

40 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Anyway, did I dream it, or has anyone seen such an advert ?

the bankers adverts are sick.  They are pretending t o be helping people whilst getting them into massive un-affordable sub-prime debt.

I thought this surfaced a couple of years ago, pretty sure it's not a new idea, but happy to be corrected. I'd say it was all perfectly acceptable on the basis that it promoted Financial Darwinism, except for the fact that...

56 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

Bubbles demand that all available sources of money are pumped in and exhausted before the collapse can happen.

State sanctioned bubbles are the worst as they can literally chuck everything onto the bonfire, including your assets and future against your wishes.

In one.

30 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Yeah, I saw that a few days ago, sort of an enhanced personal guarantee.

The Cameron/Osborne government would have considered any action to prop up house prices as highly responsible and I have yet to be convinced that May/Hammond are any different.

Edit:

http://www.barclays.co.uk/mortgages/family-springboard-mortgage

Damn right.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/house-prices/10842491/House-prices-can-keep-rising-says-David-Cameron.html

6:30AM BST 20 May 2014

House prices could go on rising for four more years without causing concern, David Cameron suggested on Monday.

Speaking after the Bank of England raised the prospect of intervention to cool the property market, the Prime Minister urged people to be “careful” over talk of a housing bubble.

Surveys suggest that house prices in Britain are rising by more than 10 per cent a year, and by more than 40 per cent a year in parts of London.

... in a BBC interview Mr Cameron appeared to downplay concerns about the property market. He insisted that allowing for inflation, houses were still cheaper than seven years ago.

“We have to be careful when we look at the figures,” he said. “We are still seeing house prices in real terms that are 15 per cent off the peak they reached in 2007.

“The most recent forecast I saw was that house prices in real terms would not achieve their previous level until 2017/2018.”

Mr Cameron also defended the Government’s Help to Buy scheme, which gives guarantees for people taking out mortgages of up to £600,000.

3 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Criminals...IMHO.

They've done the sums...monthly affordablyility...magicked up QE cash ( no need for people to earn, before banks can lend ).

In my book it's called common theft.

48 minutes ago, Bhoy said:

I suppose it's good news in a way - there's only so many props they can throw at a market.

I don't want to be negative on a Friday, but please don't stake your short / medium term future on this supposition. Yes they'll run out of props or lose control one day, but their imagination to date (combined with the gullibility of a truly desperate and largely culpable public) has been so staggering that it would be unwise to try to call whereabouts we may be on that time line. Almost everybody except us wants to keep this party going.

10 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I don't want to be negative on a Friday, but please don't stake your short / medium term future on this supposition. 

I've given up on owning a home in this country TBH. I have been expecting a crash since 2009 and all but given up on one now.

In all honestly will probably take my deposit and go travelling for a few years.:P