House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Dusseldorf knife attack

Reports of an  'axe-wielding gang' attacking people in Dusseldorf. Several injured.

Police already saying it was just one person. OK, perhaps it was two. 'Mentally ill' has also already been used.

I always find the mentally ill line suspect as it usually takes months of assessments to come to that conclusion after arrest unless europe is full of severely mentally ill people loose in the communities that they live / are known in.

Just now, hotairmail said:

Are "anti terror police" different from police? How do they know which police to use? It's like deciding the crime and guilt before arrest.

They're the ones who can make mental health assessments without seeing the patients. :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, ChewingGrass said:

I always find the mentally ill line suspect as it usually takes months of assessments to come to that conclusion after arrest unless europe is full of severely mentally ill people loose in the communities that they live / are known in.

It's safe to assume that most people you meet are mentalists. Occasionally you'll be pleasantly surprised to meet someone sane.

19 minutes ago, ChewingGrass said:

I used to chat on occasion with a psychologist from Broadmoor* -- I remember him saying once in response to news that a serial killer after much deliberation by the courts had been declared mentally unfit to plead, etc -- 'of course he's mad**. Sane people don't go around killing other people on the street.' 

* No -- I wasn't the one strapped to the chair.

** well, he didn't say 'mad', but that was the sentiment.

1 hour ago, hotairmail said:

Are "anti terror police" different from police? How do they know which police to use? It's like deciding the crime and guilt before arrest.

I think it depends entirely on what police team arrives at the scene first.

For example, if the team were a traffic patrol. and the axe-wielders were badly parked, it incident might be classified as a road traffic offence.

Was it this one, by a lone 'mentally ill' person in Dusseldorf?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/09/man-arrested-after-injuring-five-people-in-duesseldorf-axe-attack?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=216680&subid=18616990&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

It looks like he's a refugee (not that they use the R word) from 'the former Yugoslavia', so that could be Muslim, or not, they just don't say. I assume they know where he's actually from, but they'd rather not say where, and instead cite a country that hasn't existed for over 30 years. What next, will they be referring to them as 'people from the former Austro-Hungarian Empire' to distance them further from reality?

Edit to add: " Police said there was no indication of a terrorist motive behind the attack.:blink: