House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Expanding

Latest African Famine

It looks like South Sudan is the latest African country to suffer a famine. South Sudan has responded to the famine by increasing the cost of visas from $100 to $10,000 for charity workers.... 

I have to admit that I won't be donating any more money to Africa. It's about time that we all admit that Africa will be a basket case for the rest of time.

I just wonder which luvvie will be asking us to donate this time? My money is on Ewan McGregor.

My son is doing the African famine at school.

I think the teacher told them the population of Ethiopia had doubled since Bob Geldof did Band Aid, my son piped up "beh voila, there's your problem, population way over what the land will support".

Teacher replied "but don't you think climate change, colonialism, corruption all play a role?"

son "well we French were never in Ethiopia so not my problem, as for the rest, the basic issue is a population way over what the land will support, it's largely an arid dessert and they've got a population the size of France"

Kids, eh?

3 minutes ago, davidg said:

I think the teacher told them the population of Ethiopia had doubled since Bob Geldof did Band Aid, my son piped up "beh voila, there's your problem, population way over what the land will support".

Teacher replied "but don't you think climate change, colonialism, corruption all play a role?"

son "well we French were never in Ethiopia so not my problem, as for the rest, the basic issue is a population way over what the land will support, it's largely an arid dessert and they've got a population the size of France"

Kids, eh?

Thats a hard nosed 5 year old.

3 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Thats a hard nosed 5 year old.

Yes, actually son has just told me its 100 million !

Famines in Africa are often about civil wars, and this one in Sudan is no exception.  If you want to stop the famine, stop the war.  

33 minutes ago, davidg said:

Kids, eh?

It seems like he is getting a sound education from somewhere and developing a questioning mind.  Well done that teacher!  I bet it wasn't from the education system though. ;)

16 hours ago, Expanding said:

I have to admit that I won't be donating any more money to Africa. It's about time that we all admit that Africa will be a basket case for the rest of time.

Agree.

We, and Europe, also really need to start building proper walls and be prepared to start sinking ships in the med. It will be the only way to stop the African hordes from swarming up into Europe.

Which they are going to try and do. In their hundreds of millions.

16 hours ago, dgul said:

Famines in Africa are often about civil wars, and this one in Sudan is no exception.  If you want to stop the famine, stop the war.  

Have there been any famines in Africa since WW2 that are not directly linked to a war/civil war?

3 minutes ago, DeepLurker said:

Have there been any famines in Africa since WW2 that are not directly linked to a war/civil war?

To be fair, do we actually care what they are linked to?

All I actually care about is stopping the population of the African continent from flooding up into Europe.

I nearly went to work on the Sudan pipeline some years back. That one didn't turn up, so I ended up in Scotland instead.

On 3/9/2017 at 8:31 PM, One-percent said:

It seems like he is getting a sound education from somewhere and developing a questioning mind.  Well done that teacher!  I bet it wasn't from the education system though. ;)

Unless he's done some kind of in-depth research into the agricultural potential of the ecology of Ethiopia, it sounds like he's just repeating a different meme from the one the teacher wants him to. A questioning mind would doubt both easy answers.

5 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Unless he's done some kind of in-depth research into the agricultural potential of the ecology of Ethiopia, it sounds like he's just repeating a different meme from the one the teacher wants him to. A questioning mind would doubt both easy answers.

Good point. But at least he is not accepting what he is being told by someone in authority 

Just now, One-percent said:

Good point. But at least he is not accepting what he is being told by someone in authority 

If an older relative tells you famines in Africa are caused by there being more people than the land can support and you take it at face value, that is accepting what an authority figure tells you.

Simple counterfactuals:

- the UK consumes more food than the land produces but there is no famine

- the Ukraine has highly fertile farmland but has suffered multiple famines

Just been on the telly. Wellpractised emoting.

Thing is, the world has shrunk since liveaid.

Then i onky knew one black person, and he was from birmingham.

Today ive met loads of somalis and, to a man and woman, theyve all been total scum. Idle, benefit sucking trash.

11 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Then i onky knew one black person, and he was from birmingham.

Lenny "Katanga my friend" Henry..?

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

9 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Lenny "Katanga my friend" Henry..?

XYY

No.Darren.

31 minutes ago, spyguy said:

No.Darren.

That's kind of weird. 

Darren is the name of only white bloke I know from Birmingham...

XYY

In 1950 there were only 229 million people in Africa. By 1980 its population had risen to 440 million. Today it is over 1 billion and by 2050 it will be well over 2 billion. 

So In a century Africa's population will have risen ten fold - at a time when the population of Europe will have barely changed.

Anyone see the problem. These famines and crises are just going to get worse and worse - more and more people chasing the same or fewer resources including food and water. It's a recipe for chaos and wars - and Europe is on its doorstep.

Maybe we need less aid and more contraceptive advice.

12 hours ago, Errol said:

Agree.

We, and Europe, also really need to start building proper walls and be prepared to start sinking ships in the med. It will be the only way to stop the African hordes from swarming up into Europe.

Which they are going to try and do. In their hundreds of millions.

There is a problem with your suggestion. People would die as a result.