House Price Crash Forum
BlokeInDurham

Rents 'out of step' with incomes, poor screwed.

4 minutes ago, BlokeInDurham said:

Rents are now out of line with incomes according to the Graun. Well I never. Especially problematic for the poorest, those having their benefits cut and those currently homeless. Apparently more "help" is the answer...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/09/rents-are-out-of-step-with-incomes-housing-body-warns

The poor are not screwed. The poor pay their rent via HB and rents at the lower end will HAVE to track HB. (Unless some start doing a bit of cash work to top up the rent they can pay - in which case they will all have to do so)

The modestly (I hate that word) waged, that pay rent out of their own pocket, are the ones that are screwed. 

So then,  it's 5 storey converted shipping container estates, on unused council land with 5 yr temp planning permission review, all round ?  .  

Brighton’s Pioneer Shipping Container Development Houses the Homeless  

http://inhabitat.com/brightons-pioneer-shipping-container-development-houses-the-homeless/

Richardsons-Yard-shipping-container-homes6.jpg

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

5 hours ago, CunningPlan said:

The poor are not screwed. The poor pay their rent via HB and rents at the lower end will HAVE to track HB. (Unless some start doing a bit of cash work to top up the rent they can pay - in which case they will all have to do so)

The modestly (I hate that word) waged, that pay rent out of their own pocket, are the ones that are screwed. 

Rents at the lower end will only track HB if there's less overall demand than supply in that local market.

We're actually seeing the opposite - lower end landlords are able to get higher-paying tenants not on HB who can't find anywhere else to live. 

If your reaction to this is to claim that 'there is no under-supply of housing at a national level and/or near me', then consider that this may well be the effects of London's under-supply problem spreading throughout the country. 

High rents and prices began pushing people out of inner London to outer London or other cities or the commuter belts, which pushes out people from those areas.

It's the people on HB who get kicked out and go into the homeless system. Check your local homeless and people in temporary accommodation stats - they're probably growing. 

The solution is definitely not to increase HB but to build more housing and tax under-occupation. 

Edited by Patient London FTB

19 minutes ago, Patient London FTB said:

Rents at the lower end will only track HB if there's less overall demand than supply in that local market.

We're actually seeing the opposite - lower end landlords are able to get higher-paying tenants not on HB who can't find anywhere else to live. 

If your reaction to this is to claim that 'there is no under-supply of housing at a national level and/or near me', then consider that this may well be the effects of London's under-supply problem spreading throughout the country. 

High rents and prices began pushing people out of inner London to outer London or other cities or the commuter belts, which pushes out people from those areas.

It's the people on HB who get kicked out and go into the homeless system. Check your local homeless and people in temporary accommodation stats - they're probably growing. 

The solution is definitely not to increase HB but to build more housing and tax under-occupation. 

I agree to an extent. Raising HB is not the way forwards. I think there is a pent up under supply of housing. Too many people living in cramped conditions or still at home at 30.

However, the demand is not functioning demand. HB for a 3 bedder is £1,200 per month. Those on HB can afford this. Many who have full time jobs cannot. 

The HB guys can still afford to live locally. The workers are either paying 60% of take home for a hovel or have moved 50-60 miles away and commute.

It is just wrong. Reducing HB would help everyone except the LL's.

8 hours ago, CunningPlan said:

you mean the poor pay rent via extra taxes levied on those who are supposedly contributing the the economy,being asked to contribute even more...and then contribute a bit extra for alan snackbars junior football team and a minibus to get them to school.

(that was a standing joke at high school 30-odd years ago when they used to turn up in leyland sherpa's)

6 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

So then,  it's 5 storey converted shipping container estates, on unused council land with 5 yr temp planning permission review, all round ?  .  

Brighton’s Pioneer Shipping Container Development Houses the Homeless  

http://inhabitat.com/brightons-pioneer-shipping-container-development-houses-the-homeless/

Richardsons-Yard-shipping-container-homes6.jpg

Now there's a a BTL opp and a half!

PCL should fetch 1000 pcm?

1 hour ago, Tiger131 said:

I'd rather live in a caravan, the UK should be creating USA style trailer parks, it's the future I tell ye.

I've been thinking this a lot recently. Homes on wheels can be mass factory produced, super comfortable for most of them and you can take your home with you for jobs.

Makes so much sense all around. All it needs is large areas of flat land, run a load of cables for electricity, people have to empty their crap in a hole once a week. Everyone can have a garden, nice little paths, trees. Could get a really nice community going.

I'm on the lookout for a campervan right now, but will probably have to go abroad for any chance of finding something along these lines.

Also you could make them with plastic panels, stainless steel chassis, so they're like houses in the sense the structure remains. Then if you need a newer technology engine, just drop it in, new interior, replace it like a house. Last for 50 years.

Community wifi, tesco onsite, or driverless ubers to go shopping etc....

Edited by honkydonkey

Its past snobbery that is responsible for a lot of the problems in the uk housing market. unlike the usa and any other places we have a problem of being labled travellers if we wish to free ourselves from rent slavery, the solution is there for everyone and i believe one of the most important things we could do as rentiers is to remove ourselves from the market completely. The problem has been so far in recent uk history the only people taking the self sufficiency lifestyle have been somewhat members of society often looked down upon from others, hence the snobbery. in the 1980s recession a new sub-culture didint do it any favours either by being what were labled "new age hippies" the problem in ordinary working people, boring everyday folk would hate to be labled as travellers ( im sure travellers would hate to be labled ordinary every day folk as well). but the answer to the housing crisis is staring everyone in the face simply get rid of your car and build or buy a camper van, or get a caravan. its amusing to see that society feels its fine and even a positive role to have a campervan for weekends away and holidays but not for full time living.  

society should be doing this kind of living in a mass way, lets face it society has priced you all out of a home in the traditional sence, not only that but your labour is nothing more than tokens to hand to landlords and councils and all the other parasites shuffling paper and keys while you go out and work hard to pay for it all like a good little monkey.you just need to accept and embrace a new way of living, i lived for 2 years in a campervan until i got a council house and i loved it, i worked, was clean, had gfs, met the odd bell end but usually its the same predudice that is holding everyone back. i just think its perhaps time for a new wave of campervan dweller, the ordinary working family, priced out of a home and unwilling to work for a landlords pension. until you embrace and accept this your allways just going to be someone elses lackey.